Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't want to..

Hello,
    I know a soldier in my unit who is getting a promotion to e-5 with the position of SR RATELO or radio telephone operator, but he doesn't want it. He came to me but I told him to ask our team leader, you know. I guess he was wondering if he'd get in trouble for refusing the job/promotion.

Re: Doesn't want to..

It's possible that he won't get a promotion unless he takes that position, because that's the only slot. Someone with a little more experience with promotions should be able to give you a better idea.

Comment

He should discuss this with his chain of command. He has no obligation to accept a promotion, but it's uncommon, so he should really address this immediately. I respect a Soldier who refuses to take on obligations that he doesn't want to fulfill.

Comment

He won't get in trouble.

Comment

He can turn down a promotion if he chooses. I know people that have done it before for many different reasons. He needs to bring it to his COC immediately.

Comment

Thank you all, I will send it his way tomorrow. You are all very helpful as usual, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              He should discuss this with his chain of command. He has no obligation to accept a promotion, but it's uncommon, so he should really address this immediately. I respect a Soldier who refuses to take on obligations that he doesn't want to fulfill.
              While this is technically true, there are some units that may look at this in a negative way. I am not saying that it is an accurate reflection, but my former unit had a rationale that any Soldier that is not attempting to move up, lacks the ambition that makes a true soldier. It may have been simply a combat arms mindset, but it is something to be aware of. I would recommend that he address the true motivation for not wanting the promotion with his chain of command. If it is a matter of more work, then he is lazy. If it is a matter of fear, then he needs to realize that he will be trained to be a leader, and the Army NCOES produce some of the greatest leaders in the world. While fear of change is a natural human characteristic, personally I feel that I have been well trained, and fully prepared for the responsibilities I've received.

Having said that, if it is a matter of maturity or personality, then he may need to look at a new career. Even though he may not currently be in a leadership position, every true Soldier is aware that it can be a role you are needed to fulfil at any time, and a responsibility that you should be prepared to accept throughout your military career.

Comment

Originally posted by SSG_Wilson View Post
                While this is technically true, there are some units that may look at this in a negative way. I am not saying that it is an accurate reflection, but my former unit had a rationale that any Soldier that is not attempting to move up, lacks the ambition that makes a true soldier. It may have been simply a combat arms mindset, but it is something to be aware of. I would recommend that he address the true motivation for not wanting the promotion with his chain of command. If it is a matter of more work, then he is lazy. If it is a matter of fear, then he needs to realize that he will be trained to be a leader, and the Army NCOES produce some of the greatest leaders in the world. While fear of change is a natural human characteristic, personally I feel that I have been well trained, and fully prepared for the responsibilities I've received.

Having said that, if it is a matter of maturity or personality, then he may need to look at a new career. Even though he may not currently be in a leadership position, every true Soldier is aware that it can be a role you are needed to fulfil at any time, and a responsibility that you should be prepared to accept throughout your military career.
                I agree... I work with a Major General in my civilian job and he constantly provides me with 'been there, done that' knowledge nuggets and one thing he tells me often, for going forward in my military career, is ''always be willing to take the hard jobs'' (and I would think that would encompass it being 'hard' for any number of the reasons mentioned by SSG_Wilson or others).

If it meant a promotion and it was an opportunity to show my motivation, initiative and willingness to tackle new challenges and learn new things??, then I'd become an E-5 in underwater basket weaving if needed...lol....but that's me.

All I know is I can't even count the number of posts on here for ''opportunities squandered, then regretted''.....

Comment

Originally posted by SSG_Wilson View Post
                  While this is technically true, there are some units that may look at this in a negative way. I am not saying that it is an accurate reflection, but my former unit had a rationale that any Soldier that is not attempting to move up, lacks the ambition that makes a true soldier. It may have been simply a combat arms mindset, but it is something to be aware of.
                  I agree with this and I do not think that it is only a combat arms mindset... my husband is an aviator (CW2) and one thing he has stressed to me as I prepare to take my own path in the NG is "you never turn a mission down"... interpret "mission" how you will, but I think that a promotion is a mission. IMHO.

MG

Comment

Originally posted by MommaGrizzly View Post
                    I agree with this and I do not think that it is only a combat arms mindset... my husband is an aviator (CW2) and one thing he has stressed to me as I prepare to take my own path in the NG is "you never turn a mission down"... interpret "mission" how you will, but I think that a promotion is a mission. IMHO.

MG
                    Not to mention ''I will always place the mission first...''
                    Last edited by Chris36; April 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM. Reason: Typos...grrrrr

Comment

Working...
                    X