X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a friend! Urgent

Ok this is a post for a friend who is currently enlisted. Recently he told me about a situation that he has with his education.

1.) He took a test online and received a so called HS Diploma. He stated that when he enlisted the recruiter accepted and verified it.
    2.) He recently found out that the HS Diploma is not accredited when he was trying to apply for college. Hes afraid now that he cant go to school and he wants to know if there is a way the Army National Guard can help him...

My advise was: Go get a GED and don't apply for security Clearance. (Not sure he liked that answer and I'm not sure if thats the best way to answer, promised I will ask around.)

Any advise?
    Last edited by teddy13bu6; February 5th, 2011, 01:13 PM.

Re: Help for a friend! Urgent

Originally posted by teddy13bu6 View Post
    Ok this is a post for a friend who is currently enlisted. Recently he told me about a situation that he has with his education.

1.) He took a test online and received a so called HS Diploma. He stated that when he enlisted the recruiter accepted and verified it.
    2.) He recently found out that the HS Diploma is not accredited when he was trying to apply for college. Hes afraid now that he cant go to school and he wants to know if there is a way the Army National Guard can help him...

My advise was: Go get a GED and don't apply for security Clearance. (Not sure he liked that answer and I'm not sure if thats the best way to answer, promised I will ask around.)

Any advise?
    What can the Army do for him? Its not like the Army can force the college to accept him. He has to meet the criteria outlined by the school. Perhapse he can try a different school. Is he trying to get into a tech school? Community college? State university? There can be pretty big differences depending on which he is trying to get into.

Comment

Just let him take the GED test, without the classes. done deal.

Comment

The point he was trying to make to me overall is that he is afraid that when he re-ups in a few months and goes 25U, That they will see his education and that he will get in trouble or kicked out. He wants to start college and also get a security clearance. I suggested the GED and go from there but that don't cover the Security Clearance for the 25U when he re-ups for that.

Comment

I'm pretty sure a GED won't stop him from getting a security clearance, and it seems like his only option.

Comment

OK here is my two cents:

1. He should double check the organization that granted him this so-called diploma. He should also check with his state's education office (I am talking state government) to verify the organizations credentialing (if any). This will cover him in-as-much as he did not know something was bad at the time, and when he found out he did everything to ensure he either had an accredited diploma or not; then, if not-

2. Talk with other local accredited community colleges (state sponsored colleges - not something off a TV commercial) to see if they will accept his diploma - if not, then do what he can to register as a potential community college student AND get a GED as soon as possible! Some state sponsored/regionally accredited community colleges have GED programs...

3. Once the GED (if this route is necessary) is secured, then continue with the community college for a semester or more until he racks up a substantial amount of credit, then he can transfer to another school down the road...

4. As far as the clearance, I am not an adjuticator, so best advice if all of this diploma "stuff" goes south, is to outline everything and be honest about on a clearance application - which will also include the plan to correct and move on (see above). Ultimately he will need to consider delaying being in position where there is a need for a clearance as long as possible to ensure he has this corrected, has either a HS diploma or GED and is in college (proof of correcting the issue and moving on). Putting a plan on paper is not the same as showing you are completing milestones on that plan.

If a recruiter accepted his HS diploma, then there must have not been an issue with it - if there was then yes a can of worms can be opened... Tell him to be proactive, and all should work out.

Just my opinion... I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Comment

Thanks LRSU_ Dog, You make sense with what your saying, especially the "Proof of correcting the issues and moving on". Well the bottom line is the recruiter said the National Guard at the time accepted the Diploma, maybe 3 months later the NG realized that it was non-accredited and stop accepting them.

Thanks for the advise, I'm emailing him the info now....

Comment

Working...
              X