Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPC/CPL's in a E5 SLOT?? FA Battery position?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPC/CPL's in a E5 SLOT?? FA Battery position?

Ok I was always under the impression that Combat Arms units had more CPL's then SPC's.

Didn't notice till I got to my unit that it was the opposite. Seen tons of SPC's and few CPL's. The only people I seen that were CPL's in my unit (FA) was some gunners and thats it. I see a few CPL's are Gunners(E5/NCO position) and some SPC's are ATC's(Ammo team Chiefs) E5/NCO position.

I was on Advanced Party Detail, Advanced Party Leader for Battery(Rated Best in the battalion "0 mils 95% of the time"). I currently am going to move into the ATC position on my gun. I would like to make CPL at least over being another SPC in that NCO/E5 slot.

Any info as to why this is happening? I know the unit would only be able to fill available slots, but then we are under slotted if thats the case.
    Last edited by teddy13bu6; February 2nd, 2011, 04:27 PM.

Re: SPC/CPL's in a E5 SLOT?? FA Battery position?

Not too many CPLs in Arty units. If you dont see very many in your unit then chances are pretty good they wont make you CPL either. The ATC and Gunner are the 2 E5 slots on the gun so most of the time if there are CPLs in those positions it very well may be because those E4's are near the top of the promotion list and likely to be picked up for those positions as E5s. If you are just temporalily fulfulling the function of ATC until they are able to actually fill the slot from the promotion list then they probably wont change you to CPL. Check with your chief and see if he knows something you dont about what's going on.

Comment

Roger thanks again Sarge, Just noticed you were a 13B as well Makes sense what your saying. Well I'm looking to advance in my career, I've been on Advanced Party since APL 2008. I know I'm the best in the battalion and the TOP in my Battery. Thats why they never moved me from it. TOP GUN 2yrs in a Row for the BN. But the bad thing here is I love my job (AP) but if i stay there I cant advance in my career. So its kinda a catch 22, I love my AP job with a passion(Cant stand the idiots they got on other guns that don't care or take pride in it). I'm the only guy that been in my unit since APL 2008 that never moved out of Advanced Party, I'm that good LOL. The other thing my Chief is the Battery TNCO, he wants me there, but thats hurting my career goals, Rank wise.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy13bu6 View Post
        I would like to make CPL at least over being another SPC in that NCO/E5 slot.
        Why? There is no difference in pay grade. Sure you would be a NCO, but the lowest level NCO. No body gets **** on more than a CPL. Its a rank that is proabably going to be going away soon as a SPC performs the same jobs in the same leadership positions. I can't remember the last time I even saw a CPL. Might have been WLC in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          Why? There is no difference in pay grade. Sure you would be a NCO, but the lowest level NCO. No body gets **** on more than a CPL. Its a rank that is proabably going to be going away soon as a SPC performs the same jobs in the same leadership positions. I can't remember the last time I even saw a CPL. Might have been WLC in 2009.
          True, Makes sense as well. I rarely see CPL's anymore unless they got it down range in a NCO position but even still half of them went back to SPC's now. Well for starters, I guess its a sense of more leadership over the "SPC your just another PVT!" thing, plus they always got me doing something an NCO should be doing in my unit. I usually get tasked to tell E5s what to do on things. But I guess your right, same pay, just get crapped on and held over longer.

Comment

I am always amused at wannabe corporals.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
              I am always amused at wannabe corporals.
              LOL Gotta make a push for the better of the Army, better that then a lifer SPC

Comment

Roger thanks again Sarge, Just noticed you were a 13B as well Makes sense what your saying. Well I'm looking to advance in my career, I've been on Advanced Party since APL 2008. I know I'm the best in the battalion and the TOP in my Battery. Thats why they never moved me from it. TOP GUN 2yrs in a Row for the BN. But the bad thing here is I love my job (AP) but if i stay there I cant advance in my career. So its kinda a catch 22, I love my AP job with a passion(Cant stand the idiots they got on other guns that don't care or take pride in it). I'm the only guy that been in my unit since APL 2008 that never moved out of Advanced Party, I'm that good LOL. The other thing my Chief is the Battery TNCO, he wants me there, but thats hurting my career goals, Rank wise.
                Looks like its time for you to get out of that AP position. That's an entry level job, if you do have the skills you say you do then they should just use you to get the new PVTs up to speed and trained up and then get you moving towards being AG.

Comment

Roger sarge that would be ideal....I do train the new guys in the Battery on AP, all there Section Chiefs come to me and ask me to show them the ropes. I usually work on 2 guns when live firing, My gun (Gun 8) and I run rounds and powder for Gun 7 when there short. Last time we live fired was SEPT 2010. I was stopped by the Battery XO and asked "why are you running so fast yelling out the powder, going to the pit. And why are you working with the other gun doing it as well. Are you in trouble and what for?"...I said "Sir, I'm just doing my job and doing it correctly. I do what is expected and what the mission needs to get accomplished." He just looked at me as I walked off. That drill i got promoted to E4. Well I asked my Chief a few drills ago to move up to ATC since our ATC is the new gunner and our Gunner got his E6 and getting a section. He said ok and then walked away. But our new Training Schedule has nothing for FY 2011 on ARTY Training. Only 15/4 STX, 15/4 Lanes, IWQ and SRP III. So I dont know whats going on. We are up in the air on many things I guess.

Always looking for stuff to do as well. The Smokes and Gunney's love me cause I never give them an issue. They were teaching me the Aiming and Safety Circles etc...
                  Last edited by teddy13bu6; February 2nd, 2011, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Just spoke to my Chief, He got the RNCO slot in another Battery for his E7, hes gone, everyone is moving up and it looks like I will move up to ATC.

Comment

Artillery is a whole 'nother language. Glad you got it sorted, Teddy.

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
                        Artillery is a whole 'nother language. Glad you got it sorted, Teddy.
                        Thanks MP

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
                          Artillery is a whole 'nother language.
                          Indeed...and it's sweet music to the ears

Comment

Roger that....This is awesome! Funny thing is my new Section Chief is the Training NCO as well, go figure lol

Comment

LOL Gotta make a push for the better of the Army, better that then a lifer SPC
                              Which is why E5 makes more sense..........

Comment

Working...
                              X