Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benifit and Bonus Recoupment/Termination With MOS & Unit Change?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benifit and Bonus Recoupment/Termination With MOS & Unit Change?

Hello all. After lurking the forums and searching around, and even talking to a local recruiter I havnt found a clear answer to my question.

I enlisted Nov 11 2008 as a 21B in a support company in an engineer btn. Finished OSUT Sept 4 and have been at the unit ever since. They are about to deploy and I have college first option so I am non-deployable until this september '11. I am wanting to transfer to an airborne infantry unit as an 11B/11C in the same state as it is closer to home and IMO would be a progression in my career (would the army think so?). Also I would like to deploy with them in Nov. I have heard multiple answers to this question through my searching.

When I enlisted I recieved a NPS Bonus of 20k 50/50 option. I am wondering if I transfer to the unit will my GI Bill benifits and the first half of my bonus be recouped and/or terminated?
    My contract says that if I voluntarily transfer to a non critial mos or transfer from the unit which the bonus as awarded recoupment will be calculated from the date of transfer.

My recruiter told me this: It says that if you voluntarily transfer to a non critial mos or transfer from the unit which the bonus as awarded recoupment will be calculated from the date of transfer. Your bonus is for nps enlistment non-critical mos. I do not see how your bonus is tied to your uic but if you check with your local recruiter to make sure that would be best.

Sorry for such the long post but I wanted to get all the info out there from the beginning. Also would going RA be an option without recoupment? I dont care if they terminate the other half of my bonus. THANKS ALOT GUYS AND GALS

SPC Brown

Re: Benifit and Bonus Recoupment/Termination With MOS & Unit Change?

In my experience, whatever benefits you receive upon enlistment are only good if you meet the requirements of your enlistment contract (i.e. train up for a certain MOS and fill a certain slot in a certain unit). If you change your MOS and/or unit before your bonus is to be awarded to you, you won't get it due to the fact that you're not meeting a requirement for your original enlistment contract. However, there may be something you can work out seeing as though the 11B/C MOSs are definitely critical (they always have been) but you'd still be switching units so they might get you there.

Comment

Thanks for your reply lonestarsoldier. I have received the first half and don't really care if I get the second half, but definitely do not want to pay back the first half. I guess the real question is here, will they recoup it or just terminate it.

Comment

Originally posted by NW0RBROLYAT View Post
        Thanks for your reply lonestarsoldier. I have received the first half and don't really care if I get the second half, but definitely do not want to pay back the first half. I guess the real question is here, will they recoup it or just terminate it.
        Thats a good question, you BCC, Readiness or Admin NCO should be able to answer that for you. If not, then contact MEPS. They would know first hand, but go through your chain of command first. I dont see how transferring would be a bad thing, your non-deployable so your unit cant use your skills on Rear Det. Speak to your Chain of Command, if they dont have an answer try your local MEPS office.

Comment

Working...
        X