X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-UP Options

Im currently a prior service soldier doing the 1 year try it deal in the Ky Guard. When I initially joined I wanted to reclass out of infantry and go intel. I was told by my recruiter that there wasnt any slots in Ky. He and the ops NCO ask me to do this just to see. Well my unit is supposed to go to Iraq. So everything they have offered has had that attached to it. Not that I dont want to deploy, I volunteered for afghanistan, but this unit and the Infantry is no more for me. Is this the end of the road for me? Today at drill, none of my chain of command would even speak to me. Great. Im in great shape, pt around 290ish, pretty good asvab scores. I qualify for most intel jobs. I have 5 months left in the Guard. I sure dont want to hang up the uniform.

Re: Re-UP Options

What is the question? You want to reclass to intel, but don't want to commit to a full contract unless you get intel?

Comment

I will commit to a full contract if I get intel. Thats the only way.

Comment

oh well, not the end of the world for me by no means. i have many other options in life. was just hoping for a guard career.

Comment

Have you spoke with your battalion career counselor? Or maybe the unit or battalion retention NCO? If you want an intel job and it is offered in your state, then getting a new MOS as part of your re-enlistment may be a possibility. Don't give up yet! It's your career, there are alot of things you have to fight for in the National Guard where money can be scarce and the "good ol'e boy" system can run amock. Research and make a few calls. Get in contact with someone from the intell company to find out if they have any available slots. If there are not any available slots to move into then that poses a problem. Also consider promotion, is there going to be room for growth in the intel?

Comment

I would really like intel but LRSD would be great. im sure i would have to drive a million miles though,lol, to get a job like that. I really like the guard, made some considerate sacrafice to be in, just dont want to be in infantry other than lrsd or intel. im too old for sf or i would go for it. im in great shape, body and mind. thanks all for your replys and i will make alot of phone calls over the next 2 months.

Comment

well, still no luck with re-up option. I am really not wanting my Guard career to end. Its very hard to locate individual units. Any units going to Afghanistan? I would really like to go. I hope I can get some feedback on this. Airborne!

Comment

Perhaps you can consider it as a last resort, if nothing else to keep you in uniform.

Comment

If you are looking for a tool to help locate units, this page will tell you what units are near a particular zip code;
                  http://www.nationalguard.com/life/unit-finder

I am not sure how far you are interested in driving, but you can put in several different zip codes throughout the state, and the search function has a 100 mile radius. Your location found at least 28 units in Kentucky, and at least as many in Tennessee. An inter-state transfer is always an option, since you are so close to the border.

Comment

Originally posted by SSG_Wilson View Post
                    If you are looking for a tool to help locate units, this page will tell you what units are near a particular zip code;
                    http://www.nationalguard.com/life/unit-finder

I am not sure how far you are interested in driving, but you can put in several different zip codes throughout the state, and the search function has a 100 mile radius. Your location found at least 28 units in Kentucky, and at least as many in Tennessee. An inter-state transfer is always an option, since you are so close to the border.
                    thanks. im actually going to go talk to 2 units in tn next week. thanks for the post though.

Comment

Im am also going to look at the SF unit in Louisville. Its a long drive but I think it will be worth it. Absolutely no help from my present unit. So much for brotherhood.

Comment

Well some guys from my unit have been talking to me, and one actually came to my house last night. I think I am going to stay in my unit and go to Iraq, come back and rethink my career. My goal is to take a early retirement from the postal service and do something with the guard. we will see.

Comment

I fly 1700 miles one way for drill every month on my own dime and it's probably one of the most reckless, financially irresponsible, dumb ideas I've ever had. But I will never look back and wonder "what if I had..."

You sound like you have goals. How bad do you want to reach them?
                          Last edited by SFC_Wilson; March 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM. Reason: Language

Comment

Working...
                          X