Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

FA and EN Officer questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FA and EN Officer questions

    hello everyone. I'm a Highschool Senior and a PV2 in the UTARNG. I want to do SMP/ROTC and become an officer in the Guard. I'm interested in branching FA or EN (both are the main branches of my state).I have some questions:

    1. In my state we have vertical and horizontal units, what do they do? we also have 2 sapper companies(one is WHL whatever that means) and I believe 2 MRBC units in states next to mine but right on the border so they're close by as well. What do they do?

    2.Do you have to have a degree in civil engineering to be a good EN officer? I don't plan on doing construction as my civilian job (want to do local or state LE).

    3. If any of you are EN or FA officers could you give me a run down on what kind of unit you're with and you do on a typical drill weekend?

    Thank you for the replies in advance!
    Last edited by jc091393; December 20th, 2010, 08:28 PM.

  • #2
    Re: FA and EN Officer questions

    Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
    In my state we have vertical and horizontal units, what do they do?
    One goes up and down, the other goes from side to side

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: FA and EN Officer questions

      Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
      hello everyone. I'm a Highschool Senior and a PV2 in the UTARNG. I want to do SMP/ROTC and become an officer in the Guard. I'm interested in branching FA or EN (both are the main branches of my state).I have some questions:

      1. In my state we have vertical and horizontal units, what do they do? we also have 2 sapper companies(one is WHL whatever that means) and I believe 2 MRBC units in states next to mine but right on the border so they're close by as well. What do they do?

      Vertical construction would be roads/airfields (heavy equipment operators) and horizontal would be buildings (plumbers/carpentry). The Sapper companies are probably more the traditional combat engineers (breaching, demo kind of stuff). I'm not familiar with MRBC.

      2.Do you have to have a degree in civil engineering to be a good EN officer? I don't plan on doing construction as my civilian job (want to do local or state LE).

      No but it would help. On active duty, have an engineer degree and being an EN officer can help you get licenses/certificates that will help in the civlian world.

      3. If any of you are EN or FA officers could you give me a run down on what kind of unit you're with and you do on a typical drill weekend?

      This will vary so much between units that it would be hard to even answer.

      Thank you for the replies in advance!
      If you get a chance, go visit the units.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: FA and EN Officer questions

        I am an EN officer currently at EBOLC. I am assigned to a verticla unit. Basically RSP NCO was on the mark, vertical = buildings, horizontal = roads/bridges. Sappers are combat engineers, they will work with infantry units when ever they need to breach or use demo.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: FA and EN Officer questions

          Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
          Basically RSP NCO was on the mark
          Wow...even while being sarcastic I ended up being right. lol

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: FA and EN Officer questions

            Ok Redleg says "Vertical construction would be roads/airfields (heavy equipment operators) and horizontal would be buildings (plumbers/carpentry)..." and Marine2Guard you say "vertical = buildings, horizontal = roads/bridges." lol so which one of you is right? I'd assume vertical would be buildings and the horizontal would be roads.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: FA and EN Officer questions

              Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
              Ok Redleg says "Vertical construction would be roads/airfields (heavy equipment operators) and horizontal would be buildings (plumbers/carpentry)..." and Marine2Guard you say "vertical = buildings, horizontal = roads/bridges." lol so which one of you is right? I'd assume vertical would be buildings and the horizontal would be roads.
              Oops typo. Yes horizontal would be airfields/roads (bridging is usually done by a different unit) and vertical would be buildings.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: FA and EN Officer questions

                Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                Wow...even while being sarcastic I ended up being right. lol
                shhhhh... you knew it all along.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: FA and EN Officer questions

                  Sappers **** people and break things. And clear roads. Then horizontal rebuilds the roads. Vertical guys have the best facilities.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: FA and EN Officer questions

                    ugh, censorship...

                    okay, the four-letter-word that was bleeped out with **'s, was not as obscene as you might think....

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X