X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound realistic....smart?

I am 25 years old and about to start ROTC as a 2nd Bachelor's Degree student in Civil Engineering. I am going to MEPS in Jan. since I will be signing up for SMP with the VA NG. As a MOS , I was thinking Combat Engineer for a few reasons, first one day I hope to be an Engineering Officer and I think it would give me a good understanding of the men I hope to one day lead, 2nd the combine BCT and AIT is only 14 weeks, third I find the work interesting. This is the first step in my plan I should return in early Aug. just in time to start fall semester.

From there I hope to attend the following schools while a cadet, Air Assult, Airborne, and Sapper. Is this realistic? I heard that you can attend Air Assult over winter break is this true? Would anyone recommend any school other then these three either in place of or in addition too?

After school and BOLC I hope to one day attend the Ranger course and earn my tab. Further in my career I would like to transfer to either JAG or Chaplin's core. Beyond the schooling this will require any advice on how or if I could make this happen would be great!

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Does this sound realistic....smart?

Which school will you be going to?

Comment

Not really. If you already have a degree, you should consider OCS, in my opinion.

If you are planning on going active duty, pursue that route.

But 4 more years of school for another BA?

Have you thought about a Master's Degree, that will take you places another BA cannot. You should consider doing the foundational coursework for a Master's in civil eng., and doing that instead of a second bachelors.

Chaplain's Corp, HOOAH, another 3 years of education after the BA, plus getting endorsed by your faith tradition.........you should limit the focus of your ambitions.

Enlist, go to OCS, get branch qualified would take far less time than ROTC.

Sound like you're headed in 8 different directions.

Or enroll in seminary and become a Chaplain Candidate, or enroll in Law school.
      Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I will be going to ODU. The reason I am seeking a 2nd BS instead of MSCE is after talking with several engineers they told me the BS CE is what I really need and that the MSCE is more theory. I plan to only be in the Guard and not Active Duty. Through the Guard I hope to get my MSCE but that will be down the line at least 5 years.

Comment

Don't plan to go to all those schools. Your attendance will be contingent on availability and ither factors. You might get one of them. Also, be careful about expecting ROTC to pay for a lot of your school. Some of the money is only for first BS/BA or graduate level degrees. That limitation doesn't apply to all of the aid, but be sure to do your research.

Comment

Originally posted by confusedcadet View Post
            I will be going to ODU. The reason I am seeking a 2nd BS instead of MSCE is after talking with several engineers they told me the BS CE is what I really need and that the MSCE is more theory. I plan to only be in the Guard and not Active Duty. Through the Guard I hope to get my MSCE but that will be down the line at least 5 years.
            Good sounds like you are making informed decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
              Not really. If you already have a degree, you should consider OCS, in my opinion.

If you are planning on going active duty, pursue that route.

But 4 more years of school for another BA?

Have you thought about a Master's Degree, that will take you places another BA cannot. You should consider doing the foundational coursework for a Master's in civil eng., and doing that instead of a second bachelors.

Chaplain's Corp, HOOAH, another 3 years of education after the BA, plus getting endorsed by your faith tradition.........you should limit the focus of your ambitions.

Enlist, go to OCS, get branch qualified would take far less time than ROTC.

Sound like you're headed in 8 different directions.

Or enroll in seminary and become a Chaplain Candidate, or enroll in Law school.
              Chaplain,

Excellent observations. He reminds me when I was in my 20s that my ambitions were all over the place. Nothing wrong with a backup plan but you need to stay track on a primary focus.

Life sure flies by. By time, you are embark on the Chaplain/JAG goals, you are in your 40s.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall View Post
                Don't plan to go to all those schools. Your attendance will be contingent on availability and ither factors. You might get one of them. Also, be careful about expecting ROTC to pay for a lot of your school. Some of the money is only for first BS/BA or graduate level degrees. That limitation doesn't apply to all of the aid, but be sure to do your research.
                Exactly and keep your fingers crossed for branching Engineer.

Comment

Going to all those HOOAH schools is not going to happen. You could probably swing AAS or AB if you are really rockin' high speed and they have the money... but I wouldn't count on more than one. And Sapper... I have not personally seen a cadet get it. I'm not sure it 's even offered to non-MOSQ'd personnel. You are more likely to get Mountain Warfare, AAS or AB as a cadet.

And, if you are going to OSUT for ENG, you would be starting as an MSIII after you return from training and enroll in ROTC. I could be wrong (but I'm pretty sure I'm not), ROTC will not allow *you* to come in as an MSI or MSII at that time because A) you already have a degree and B) you are MOSQ'd at that point. They are not going to want to pay you for 4 more years of undergrad if you already have a degree. I ran into a similar situation, hence I am now in grad-school. That also means you will have to have your school done in 2 years.... that's full time 12 (if not 15) hours plus the 4 hours (ha ha) of ROTC time. I laugh at the 4 hours because, as an MSIII, you can expect to spend anywhere from 12 - 20 hours a week doing ROTC stuf. No joke.

Realistically, what you should do is enlist as a 09S, go to BCT then do *traditional* OCS. The program is 18 mos long (6 mos shorter than what you'll spend in ROTC). However, the weekly time toll is not there and you can still take advantage of state and federal TA to pay for you school.... So, when it's done, you'll get that other degree, the gold bar and can persue whatever badge-bunny activities you choose. I can tell you, getting HOOAH schools is a lot easier if you are an O1 versus a cadet.
                  Last edited by TxIntel 1978; December 18th, 2010, 07:24 AM.

Comment

The thing you would have going for you is that ODU is one of the largest ROTC programs in the country so a lot of people get to go to AAS and AB. Of course, you do have to have high PT along with other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by confusedcadet View Post
                      From there I hope to attend the following schools while a cadet, Air Assult, Airborne, and Sapper. Is this realistic?
                      To add to what has already been mentioned, to attend the Sapper course you must either be an E-5 or above or an 0-3 and below. Cadets can not attend.

Comment

Working...
                      X