X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisted to Officer - MI

My husband enlisted in the NG back in Dec 07 and graduated with his bachelors in Jun 08, then shipped to basic in Aug 08. He enlisted because he wanted to go to DLI, and knew his best shot would be as an enlisted. Anyway, now he works full time for the guard and loves what he's doing, but they're kind of slow promoting people in the Guard here, and since he has a college degree he's kind of bummed about the pay.

He found out the other day that he can do OCS and keep his full time job with the Guard (he has one year from the date of his commission to find an officer slot in his unit. Basically after he commissions, he can keep doing his current job for a year, or until he finds an officer slot. After that, he'll have to switch to a different unit or go active or something, I guess).

Now his only decision is between state, federal, and traditional OCS. And that decision mostly depends on pay. Right now because he works full time for the guard, he doesn't get drill pay, so if he's going to do tradition 1 weekend a month OCS and not get paid for it, he'll do one of the other options.

He also wants to go active duty eventually (but we're having fun being 'settled down' for a little while). So he'll probably go active when either (A) his 1 year runs out and he hasn't found a spot in the Guard or (B) his commission with the Guard is up. Which ever comes first.

So right now, we just need to know who to talk to about commissioning in the Guard. He talked to his original recruiter, who was helpful, but didn't seem to know how to get us started.

How does an enlisted soldier already working in a Guard unit start the process to go to OCS? We seem to keep talking to the wrong people. DH is getting the runaround and really wants to go to OCS ASAP.

Thanks
    Last edited by RowleyArmyFamily; November 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM.

Re: Enlisted to Officer - MI

If active duty is what he wants, then he needs to apply to active duty OCS. He will not transfer from NG to active duty as an officer.

Google is really cool on finding out stuff.

BTW, the Google link has the OCS site for the CAARNG.

Comment

Ha ha ha, yeah... I've been googling all day My eyes are shot. I've been looking all over the UT NG website (he's in the UTNG).

What do you mean by "active duty OCS"? Do you mean if he wants his commission to transfer over to active duty, he'll have to go to federal OCS at Ft Benning? Or do you mean that even if he goes to Fed OCS and becomes and officer in the Guard, he'll have to go to OCS again when he wants to go active duty?

In my googling I read that graduates of DLI have to do a 1-year language utilization assignment before they can commission... is that just active duty? Or Guard as well? He learned Chinese and is actually working as a Spanish Linguist, not a Chinese linguist for the Guard... maybe that's just for active duty?

Also found this good thread here on the forums... after searching for something exactly like this for HOURS... darn searching

Comment

What he really wants is Officer (he's always wanted to be an officer, but wanted DLI, so "sacrificed" I guess you could say). Active Duty is just something we want 'eventually.' We're happy here where we are (well, I'm happy here where we are I like to have 'roots') but we do have an "adventurous" streak to us, and DH wants to get out there in Active Duty and meet the right people so he can have a shot some day at FAO (we know that's WAAAAY down the road, and he'll probably have to push papers/kiss butt for YEEEEARS before he even gets CPT).

Anyway, that other thread though said that Active Duty doesn't like to pick up Guard officers... ?
        Last edited by RowleyArmyFamily; November 23rd, 2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

It is more like the NG doesn't like to release officers. A commission doesn't end. He would complete a service obligation, but that is more like six or eight years not one. Plus, there aren't that many AGR slots for officers. It would be a risk to assume he will be able to get an officer job. He is better positioned than most since he is already in the AG system, but it would be a significant risk.

Comment

Originally posted by RowleyArmyFamily View Post
            My husband enlisted in the NG back in Dec 07 and graduated with his bachelors in Jun 08, then shipped to basic in Aug 08. He enlisted because he wanted to go to DLI, and knew his best shot would be as an enlisted. Anyway, now he works full time for the guard and loves what he's doing, but they're kind of slow promoting people in the Guard here, and since he has a college degree he's kind of bummed about the pay.

He found out the other day that he can do OCS and keep his full time job with the Guard (he has one year from the date of his commission to find an officer slot in his unit. Basically after he commissions, he can keep doing his current job for a year, or until he finds an officer slot. After that, he'll have to switch to a different unit or go active or something, I guess).

Now his only decision is between state, federal, and traditional OCS. And that decision mostly depends on pay. Right now because he works full time for the guard, he doesn't get drill pay, so if he's going to do tradition 1 weekend a month OCS and not get paid for it, he'll do one of the other options.

He also wants to go active duty eventually (but we're having fun being 'settled down' for a little while). So he'll probably go active when either (A) his 1 year runs out and he hasn't found a spot in the Guard or (B) his commission with the Guard is up. Which ever comes first.

So right now, we just need to know who to talk to about commissioning in the Guard. He talked to his original recruiter, who was helpful, but didn't seem to know how to get us started.

How does an enlisted soldier already working in a Guard unit start the process to go to OCS? We seem to keep talking to the wrong people. DH is getting the runaround and really wants to go to OCS ASAP.

Thanks
            Its a shame that he didnt get that degree to his recruiter before he shipped because he could of received his E-4. I have known soldiers that have gotten their credits/degree transcript submitted on the H-hour or during Basic/AIT which got them promoted.

Again, look at the details of the current contract and see if it will have any bearing on his bonus. Also, if you have to weigh the sacrifice if he can do OCS and forfeit the bonus (if he has too) and forfeit some loss of income to attain those goals. He has already sacrified to get certain training that he wanted. Possibly, he can do it again. If you are working, perhaps you can survive on your income with his limited finances for the time being.

I personally know single O-4s that make in the high 80s/90s a year but still want to deploy to get 6 figures to pay off debts. I know other officers that make much less with a family of four and live well. Its all about money management but starting off in the military has its challenges. Its not easy for someone with a family to come in as a lower-enlisted period.

Good luck.

Comment

Couple of Points:
              1-To go on active duty your state would have to release (you which you can inquire about ahead of time); typically states will release officers into AC
              2-The AC doesn't need many LT's right now so contact the branch managers to see what their needs are; check out www.hrc.army.mil
              3-You can keep your full time job but not as a commissioned officer once you accept your commission
              4-Other Options
              -Check neighboring states
              -Look into the Warrant Officer Program
              -Take the commission and look for full time work in contracting, the linguis skill can be valuable
              5-Check out www.ldrprogram.com

Comment

@fmcityslicker - he is E4 (because of the degree - he has been for over 2 years - since Jun 08, as soon as he had his diploma) but they won't promote him to E5 until Jun 2011 because apparently here they "batch promote" or something... they wait until everyone has been to WLC, and then promote everyone at the same time (which will be Jun/Jul 2011). Not sure why...

@majtf - so you're saying he'll go back to E4 pay until he finds an officer slot? (I think he was told the same kind of thing today, but nothing from official sources...)

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Interesting thread. After reading all the posts, my first thought was:

Selfless Service

Put the welfare of the Nation, the Army and your subordinates before your own. Selfless service is larger than just one person. In serving your country, you are doing your duty loyally without thought of recognition or gain. The basic building block of selfless service is the commitment of each team member to go a little further, endure a little longer, and look a little closer to see how he or she can add to the effort.

My honest advice: (assuming SPC Rowley is already MI) ditch the AGR job and enter the world of contracting in the Intel Community. With his Chinese and TS//SI, he would be able to land a high-paying job with a defense contractor.

Now if the SPC would like to lead MI soldiers, improve their ability to do their MI jobs, ensure that their families are cared for while they're deployed...well, THAT is a different story.

Yes, I've been to DLI...twice. San Angelo too.

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by RowleyArmyFamily View Post
                    @fmcityslicker - he is E4 (because of the degree - he has been for over 2 years - since Jun 08, as soon as he had his diploma) but they won't promote him to E5 until Jun 2011 because apparently here they "batch promote" or something... they wait until everyone has been to WLC, and then promote everyone at the same time (which will be Jun/Jul 2011). Not sure why...

@majtf - so you're saying he'll go back to E4 pay until he finds an officer slot? (I think he was told the same kind of thing today, but nothing from official sources...)

Thanks for the info.
                    I apologize for the mistake. I have old eyes so when I saw the 2 in your taxes thread, I mistaken it for E2. I re-read it and saw that you wrote E4. That is why its time for my early walk.

I do not know the AGR promotion system but I believe it should be similar to the regular component one in which he has to be promoteable. I never heard of the term "batch promote" in regards to being promoted to E5. I know of the senior enlisted promotion system when you get a list number and each month there is a range of numbers that are slated to be promoted to the next grade. In that sense, you could call that "batch promoting".

But I liked what lindy wrote about selfless service and I am not saying this is you. But if a SM sole concern for service is financial gain then he needs to put things into perspective. Many soldiers sacrifice whatever it may be to serve. It is about selfless service that lindy suggested. But yes, your husband has mouths to feed and is an educated lad with grand potential. If finances are a present issue, then utilizing those skills will be beneficial as trying to get a position working as a linguist or intel.

Many civilians downrange are easily racking up six figures based on the same qualifications that your husband possesses.
                    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 25th, 2010, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X