X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Warrant, no prior service?

Is it possible to go technical warrant (251A,255A) with no prior military? Also, am I too old? I am a 36 year old with over 11 years of IS/IT experience including management, and various certifications. Bachelor's degree almost completed in a foreign language. I have been feeling the need to serve, even though I have good employment.
    Last edited by gaucho; November 16th, 2010, 04:26 PM.

Re: Technical Warrant, no prior service?

Originally posted by gaucho View Post
    Is it possible to go technical warrant (251A,255A) with no prior military? Also, am I too old? I am a 36 year old with over 11 years of IS/IT experience including management, and various certifications. Bachelor's degree almost completed in a foreign language. I have been feeling the need to serve, even though I have good employment.
    I have never heard of a person joining as a warrant. Usually to get that you must serve to E5, then apply. But seeing as how you have a big tech background in IT, you might want to talk to a recruiter. I'm sure SSG Tischner or someone will be answering shortly to let you know what your options are

Comment

If you want a change in scenery, you can join as a grunt and then keep an eye out for a federal technician job in IT. I've seen them in pay grades from GS9 to GS13 in my area.

Good pay + federal bennies.....as long as you're in a drilling status.

Comment

You are not too old, so don't worry about that. Engage your local recruiter, and ask about a 09W enlistment contract. It may only be an option for enlistees with prior military service. If that's not an option, ask to speak with the WO Strength Manager or the OSM. He will discuss the path to WO, and your requirements. You may need to enlist in a Signal MOS, then apply for WO from there after some years of demonstrating your technical proficiency, but also your military bearing and professionalism. The technical skills are important, but that's not all there is.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the feedback and advice. I will report back what happens.

Shaun in NM.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
            You are not too old, so don't worry about that. Engage your local recruiter, and ask about a 09W enlistment contract. It may only be an option for enlistees with prior military service. If that's not an option, ask to speak with the WO Strength Manager or the OSM. He will discuss the path to WO, and your requirements. You may need to enlist in a Signal MOS, then apply for WO from there after some years of demonstrating your technical proficiency, but also your military bearing and professionalism. The technical skills are important, but that's not all there is.
            Sir, excellent advice and thank you for your assistance in helping me post. Warrant Officer is excellent for those young men pursuing a career in aviation that never had a military background.

Comment

Working...
            X