Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be willing to offer some input?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you be willing to offer some input?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best way to go about joining the NG, and maybe some outside ideas can help. I want to become an officer, and I'm not sure if I should go the OCS route or go the ROTC route. I already have my bachelor's degree, and I want to go to grad school part time to get my master's. I was told that you can do ROTC in graduate school provided you have two years in your program. I live in Illinois, and would like to join one of the units here.

If I can go the OCS route, I would go traditional ocs, which would take 18 months plus boot camp. But I would be able to go to graduate school PT and still keep my full-time job. The ROTC route would be a little more complicated, as I would enlist in the band, go to boot, AIT, and then apply for grad school when I came back. I would then take the ROTC elective and contract into the SMP program and get my commission that way.

I'm thinking the ROTC route would have more benefits attached, but the OCS route may be quicker. I'm just not sure if the ROTC route would be possible. Are there any benefits to going OCS over ROTC? If you do the SMP program do you have to be drilling with any particular unit?

Re: Would you be willing to offer some input?

What is your full time job/hours? What degree are you going for?

The reason I ask is because Traditional OCS is no joke when it comes to taking up
    your time. Especially if you (like me) have to do A LOT of PT between drills. I'm
    not saying it cannot be done, but depending on your job and your grad degree program
    it can be A LOT to balance the three.

scj

Comment

There's been several threads recently asking pretty much the same questions regarding the path to becoming officer. Look around while you wait for answers to show up in this one.

Comment

I'm going for a MS in accounting. I'm an archivist at a finance company by day, which doesn't require a lot of physical presence, just for operating the machinery. I would only be going to school part time, two classes at most at a time, so I would have most of my evenings free as well as most weekends (when I'm not drilling that is).

Comment

ROTC requires one to be a full time student. I don't know of any exceptions for graduate students. Nine hours is commonly considered full time for grad students.
          Last edited by cyall; October 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

imo, you should go into the guard band, but be warned, you may have so much fun, you may not want to go officer after all!, na, just kidding, things have probably changed a bunch, it used to be a blast. ROTC is the best way, if you have time. imo, you should go full-time grad school, and go ROTC. You will be E-4 before basic, so you will have some cash in your pocket to start college off with. In addition, you might get State tuition assistance and federal tuition assistance. (Double check all of this for grad school, some states might have different rules for grad school.)

Also, some universities offer free rooms for ROTC cadets. I know you're probably older than the average cadet, but why not go back and be the mature guy in the dorm? Add to your pile of cash over three years, have some fun.

You should be a pretty good interview 2-3 years from now, with your gold bar and work experience. And the world will always need accountants, so there should be plenty of companies to interview with.

let us know what you think. And I'm dead serious someone could improve their balance sheet over a period of 2-3 years by doing the ROTC SMP thing.

edit, I just noticed you're comparing the 18 months OCS vs. the ROTC 2 years or 3 years? Btw, ROTC scholarships are only good for 2 years for grad students. Anyway, I think ROTC would be easier and a lot more fun than OCS. Have you read all of the testimony on this forum about the beating that is the 18 month course? Read about how much work they have to do between drill weekends.
            Last edited by 49thadband; October 29th, 2010, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Don't forget you get credit hours for ROTC, those hours might well put you into full-time status. When I took military science courses we got two hours for the military science class and one hour for PT. I knew several people who were contracted and their ROTC hours put them into full-time status.

Comment

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I believe I have it figured out. I'm going to be 26 in March, so I'm going to enlist in the band, and head off to boot in April, and do AIT afterward. I live in Illinois, so after a year in the guard, I get free tuition at any state supported school. I'll go full time (9 credit hours) and do ROTC. I'll try for the GRFD scholarship. I should be able to graduate when I'm 29. It'll be tough..but I'm tough

Comment

Depends on what you want to do, if you feel you might want to go active do rotc. If you want to pursue another career, do ocs.

Seems you want to be guard. ROTC, is the why to go.

But OCS has it's advantages. Such as a faster commission.

Therefore, likely to go down range, to Afghanistan soon. hooah.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                    Depends on what you want to do, if you feel you might want to go active do rotc. If you want to pursue another career, do ocs.

Seems you want to be guard. ROTC, is the why to go.

But OCS has it's advantages. Such as a faster commission.

Therefore, likely to go down range, to Afghanistan soon. hooah.
                    Not by much, unless if you're talking about AOCS or Federal OCS, none of which are guarantees.

Comment

My understanding is that you get to choose between AOCS and state. And if your' high speed you might get Fed. OCS.

Since so many states need LT's I would think they would be glad to push a person asap through ACOS, and branch training.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                        My understanding is that you get to choose between AOCS and state. And if your' high speed you might get Fed. OCS.

Since so many states need LT's I would think they would be glad to push a person asap through ACOS, and branch training.
                        This depends on the state.

Comment

Working...
                        X