X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better route to officer?

I recently enlisted 11B, going to basic training next week. My original intent was to do SMP through Rutgers ROTC, and comission. I was told that with SMP I am required to comission into the guard for 6 years after graduation.

My question is if I wanted to do active duty after i graduate would it be a better idea to not do ROTC, and after my enlistment is over after 6 years, I would enlist active duty and go to OCS?

Re: Which is better route to officer?

No it isn't true. You got bad info. SMP will in no way prevent a cadet from competing for active duty provided no Guranteed Reserve Force Duty agreement is involved. Your ROTC/SMP contract will superseed your enlistment contract, and it allows cadets to go active.

Comment

As far as commissioning source, if you're already there go ROTC if it's offered. No reason to skip ROTC only to go through the summer camp that is OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall View Post
        No it isn't true. You got bad info. SMP will in no way prevent a cadet from competing for active duty provided no Guranteed Reserve Force Duty agreement is involved. Your ROTC/SMP contract will superseed your enlistment contract, and it allows cadets to go active.

Cyall is CORRECT.

As long as you do not accept the GRFD Scholarship, you can be an SMP Cadet and go Active Duty after you receive your commission.

At Rutgers, you'll be able to use the State Tuition Waiver!

ROTC gives you the most choices. You can either go Active, Reserves, or Guard. You can play each of those components off of each other. You cannot do that if you went to the NG's OCS program.

Comment

thank you for the great information LT's

My other question is can I reclass upon commissioning?

my first choice MOS (that wasnt available to me upon enlisting) was 19D cavalry scout, would I be able to commission as a cav scout officer, or any other branch other than my enlisted MOS?

Comment

Originally posted by DKad View Post
            thank you for the great information LT's

My other question is can I reclass upon commissioning?

my first choice MOS (that wasnt available to me upon enlisting) was 19D cavalry scout, would I be able to commission as a cav scout officer, or any other branch other than my enlisted MOS?
            You sure can! On a more technical note, it's not really considered a "reclass".

Comment

Keep in mind that especially with ROTC you don't really get to pick your branch. You will be on an Order of Merit, and your position will determine if you get your component, branch and duty station of choice. IIRC GPA is 40% of the equation, APFT is 10%, and the rest I'm not sure, but it would be comprised of your performance in leadership positions and LDAC among other things. I know of a few PT stud cadets that have had Infantry on their minds, but they found out that their GPAs might just keep them from getting an infantry slot.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall View Post
                Keep in mind that especially with ROTC you don't really get to pick your branch. You will be on an Order of Merit, and your position will determine if you get your component, branch and duty station of choice. IIRC GPA is 40% of the equation, APFT is 10%, and the rest I'm not sure, but it would be comprised of your performance in leadership positions and LDAC among other things. I know of a few PT stud cadets that have had Infantry on their minds, but they found out that their GPAs might just keep them from getting an infantry slot.
                UNLESS you go Guard and get an LOA from the unit you want to be in... A benefit of staying Guard. But yeah, there's quite a few cadets in my class that are SMP and just got selected for active. Just make sure you don't accept the GRFD if you want Active.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13D View Post
                  UNLESS you go Guard and get an LOA from the unit you want to be in... A benefit of staying Guard. But yeah, there's quite a few cadets in my class that are SMP and just got selected for active. Just make sure you don't accept the GRFD if you want Active.
                  Assuming his state works that way, yes. He started the conversation by asking about the AC, and in that case it's the OML.

Comment

My son is in his final year of ROTC and is a SMP Cadet. He enlisted as Armor and should branch Medical Service Corp, active duty (he finds out tomorrow but was high up on the OML).

Unless you are in a Senior Military College you compete for active duty slots. Plus you compete for branch choice. This is done by your GPA, PT scores, LDAC scores, ranking in your ROTC Batallion and etc..... The accessions process is fairly involved but a couple of Universities have power point presentations that explain it fairly well (this non military mom understands it

Comment

mom, curious when exactly will he make his next career decision? Iow, he has what 4-5 years AD, and then he decides whether he wants to do 20 active or not?

Comment

I am not sure, will have to ask him. He talked about doing GRADSO which is additional years of service for Grad School payment but looking at his branch (Med Service) I saw something that said Med Service doesn't do GRADSO because they provide grad school to a lot of them anyway. He also will add a couple of years for student loan repayment program so I think he would be out about 8 to 10 years before next decision.
                        He is pulling 21 credits and is the Cadet BC this semester so I don't get to talk to him too much right now.

He finds out his Branch today!

Comment

Hello everyone,didn't want to start a new thread on the same subject so I figure I'd just post here.I'm currently a HS senior and a PV2 in the UTARNG.My goal is to become an AD officer. I'm wondering which route would be better.OCS or ROTC/SMP? I know everyone seems to recommend ROTC but truthfully I'm not a good academic student.My fear is I wouldn't get high enough on the OML to go AD.Any advice?

Comment

Working...
                          X