X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Officer wear...

As an Officer can I wear my Gold recruiting badge I earned on Active Duty on my ACUs?

Re: Can a Officer wear...

I know you can wear the recruiting badge, but I thought it had to be sudued. Of course, that is a long way to say I'm not sure and suscibe to this thread.

Comment

Thanks...yeah there is a subdued gold badge for ACUs. I just did not know if I could wear it as NG Officer or if it was proper to wear.

Comment

You can wear it... our XO is apparently one bad man. He has a DS badge, a recruiting badge and a load of other awards on his ASUs.
        Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 17th, 2011, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guard dog 777
          Thanks...yeah there is a subdued gold badge for ACUs. I just did not know if I could wear it as NG Officer or if it was proper to wear.
          While I was attending Transportation BOLC there were two 2LT's in my class that wore their recruiting badges (one had a gold and the other a black) on their ACUs.

Comment

Ok thanks. I did not know Officers did not wear bolo badges on the ASUs so I just wanted to double check.

Do you have any useful info you can share about BOLC at FT Lee. I am branching OD.

Comment

Originally posted by Guard dog 777
              Ok thanks. I did not know Officers did not wear bolo badges on the ASUs so I just wanted to double check.

Do you have any useful info you can share about BOLC at FT Lee. I am branching OD.
              You will see a lot of "unwritten rules" that officers follow. Ie they don't wear marksmanship badges on thier uniforms or have facial hair, even though AR 670-1 allows for both for officers.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
                You will see a lot of "unwritten rules" that officers follow. Ie they don't wear marksmanship badges on thier uniforms or have facial hair, even though AR 670-1 allows for both for officers.
                Yea, That's passed down from the old guys... No facial hair at all, even though mustaches are allowed usually you'll see an officer get a good verbal couseling if he's got one. And we are told not to wear marksmanship badges because as officers we are "supposed to be experts in any weapon our platoon utilizes"........... riiiiigggggghhhhhtttttt

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
                  Perhaps this is true! However, I seen a female field grade officer recently that would give a beard lady a run for her money...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini
                    Yea, That's passed down from the old guys... No facial hair at all, even though mustaches are allowed usually you'll see an officer get a good verbal couseling if he's got one. And we are told not to wear marksmanship badges because as officers we are "supposed to be experts in any weapon our platoon utilizes"........... riiiiigggggghhhhhtttttt
                    I know that's how it's done, but I think it's bogus. The whole argument that everyone should just assume you are an expert is so fake and all the enlisted can see right through that. Well, we should assume officers are brave too. Should we all get Medals of Honor so that the enlisted will respect us? To me, it has the opposite of the intended effect. It's more like, "what is he hiding? Why is he ashamed of his badge?" Wear what you've earned I say. If you are embarrassed not to have an expert on your chest than I guess you should shoot better. I'm not going to be the sore thumb and wear mine, but I think the whole tradition is a sham to hide incompetencies, even if they are trivial.
                    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 17th, 2011, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AmPat
                      It's more like, "what is he hiding? Why is he ashamed of his badge?" Wear what you've earned I say. If you are embarrassed not to have an expert on your chest than I guess you should shoot better. I'm not going to be the sore thumb and wear mine, but I think the whole tradition is a sham to hide incompetencies, even if they are trivial.
                      If the Army wanted to make a move to less bling on its uniform, I'd cast a Heck-Yes vote in a nanosecond. It's really getting out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead
                        If the Army wanted to make a move to less bling on its uniform, I'd cast a Heck-Yes vote in a nanosecond. It's really getting out of control.
                        I'd vote Heck-Yes for less bling, but if less bling was enhanced with a "throwback" uniform then I'd vote Heck-Yes-Oh-Please-Please-Please-Make-It-So!

Check out the U.S. insignia, it even has a little something superimposed on it.

Comment

I wish I could grow a moo-stash, left side of my lip grows in full, the right side is like 1 mm wide strip.........genetics fail.

Comment

Originally posted by AmPat
                            I know that's how it's done, but I think it's bogus. The whole argument that everyone should just assume you are an expert is so fake and all the enlisted can see right through that. Well, we should assume officers are brave too. Should we all get Medals of Honor so that the enlisted will respect us? To me, it has the opposite of the intended effect. It's more like, "what is he hiding? Why is he ashamed of his badge?" Wear what you've earned I say. If you are embarrassed not to have an expert on your chest than I guess you should shoot better. I'm not going to be the sore thumb and wear mine, but I think the whole tradition is a sham to hide incompetencies, even if they are trivial.
                            I agree somewhat, but also disagree. I always hover between sharpshooter and marksman depending on what range I shoot on(Ft. Dix ranges). But as a soldier, would you rather see your officer wearing a marksman badge or none at all? lol It's not about being embarrassed, it's about making your soldiers confident in your abilities. But at the same time I think it's up to the officer to get themselves better if they are lacking.
                            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 17th, 2011, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Let me preface this by saying that I realize we are just talking about the range and I'm not actually that worked up about it, but if I'm gonna take a position, here it is...

lol It's not about being embarrassed, it's about making your soldiers confident in your abilities.
                              Even if the substance behind that confidence is hollow? That's what I'm saying. I think most enlisted are on to this, and rather than be confident in your officers abilities, I think they assume that they are all weak instead of they all rock. Otherwise why would they conceal it?

On the other hand, not all ranges are created equal; and some shoot with optics, some use sights, some use M4's, some use M-16's, so it is all really apples and oranges anyway... much like the rest of the awards system.
                              Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X