X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCS Phase 2

I know each state is different but I'm wondering about phase 2. I've been told it's the "death by powerpoint" phase, but last drill we were obliterated between classes. We literally didnt get to shower the whole drill. I suspect part of it was just to keep us in the phase 1 mentallity and not letting us go immediately more relaxed.

My question is...does it ever start to back off a bit? I'd like to have some sort of idea what's coming but havent gotten a reply from the previous classes.
    Last edited by show_stopper999; September 2nd, 2010, 11:11 AM.

Re: OCS Phase 2

I've done two Phase 2 drills, and while it's deal by Powerpoint for us during classroom time, we have lots of TAC breaks where we get smoked to death. We've had terrible student leadership both drills, so we've all suffered for that.

I've heard from the class prior to mine that they back off a little starting in February or so. That's fine with me, because my class right now is 43 people. Of those, I can easily see 10 that have no buisness being officers with their current attitudes, and if the pressure keeps up, either they shape up or get dropped for failure to adapt.

Comment

I spoke with an LT from a prior class. Aparently for my state it starts to cool off a bit around January because that point we're busy organizing our community service run, dining ins, etc and we stay busy from that point. I'd just really enjoy a 5 minute shower next drill. Our leadership has been decent so far, but this drill coming up in three weeks is going to be a test. I think they definetly put probably the worst in the class in the hardest position. The cadre tried to talk him into quitting twice and recommended he not continue, formally on paper, but he was passed.

Last drill he showed up with NOTHING in his ruck sack, despite the entire packing list being in our OC guide

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
        Last drill he showed up with NOTHING in his ruck sack, despite the entire packing list being in our OC guide
        Oh dear. That chump needs to fail ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
          I spoke with an LT from a prior class. Aparently for my state it starts to cool off a bit around January because that point we're busy organizing our community service run, dining ins, etc and we stay busy from that point. I'd just really enjoy a 5 minute shower next drill. Our leadership has been decent so far, but this drill coming up in three weeks is going to be a test. I think they definetly put probably the worst in the class in the hardest position. The cadre tried to talk him into quitting twice and recommended he not continue, formally on paper, but he was passed.

We have people complaining all the time about the packing list. I just shove everything into my ruck and duffel except the winter stuff.

We haven't been denied showers yet, in fact, some people weren't able to shower in the allotted time one night and were pretty much forced by the cadre to shower.

Comment

We werent technically denied but one night we had 2 minutes to conduct hygiene and then lights out, followed by a wake up to setup a patrol base in the field and sleep there... the other night was 5 minutes to conduct hygiene. So it was a technicality.

Our drills as of now are just as intense or more as phase I...but from other LT's ive talked to, it slowly starts to ease up.

We also now started getting assigned PT between drills that we are required to report back our times on the assigned events, etc. Three days a week of intense cross-fit stuff, and 2 days of create-your-own custom work outs, 2 days of rest. Our lead TAC has told us that our average PT score WILL be 270, or we will pay.

I'm digging it though. I just cant wait to get a good 3 minute shower. I'll wait until lights out no problems!

Someone gave me an idea that might get you guys some brownie points too. Write up cadences that consist of the required knowledge in the OC guide. When you're the PSG, call those so everyone can repeat and memorize. I know positive spot reports are about as valuable as paper money but it may help.
            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 17th, 2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Write up cadences that consist of the required knowledge in the OC guide. When you're the PSG, call those so everyone can repeat and memorize.
              I wouldn't recommend this one. When I went to Phase I, there was a candidate who would sing these off the wall cadences. No one could hear him and the TAC's though we were un-motivated.

Until your class really pulls togethor, the TAC's are going to have fun.

Comment

Oh I call some off the wall cadences. I make it a point to come up with some obscure or wierd ones, but I also call them like I have a pair, and you can hear me loud and proud. I had to make an extra effort because I was catching too much of it for being prior USAF... the TAC staff all thought I was lying when I volunteered to call cadence in a formation run. "YOU know cadence Duncan???...OK...we'll see"

It may be class dependent, because I was recommended by a prior OCS guy from a few classes back to do the required knowledge cadence.
                Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm, might have to try that. We definately have some people who need to brush up on required knowledge. Last drill, on Saturday night during hygiene time, one OC left his "rubber duckie" weapon in his locker while he was putting away gear, etc, and was several feet away from his locker. Our SR TAC and one of the NCO TACs came walking through the barracks and were just opening lockers (we have really crappy, small lockers, so they were supposed to be empty except for laundry bags), and they get to this OC's locker. They look at each other with a kind of astonished look, look at the OC, who is staring at them, look back in the locker, then back at each other. The SR TAC slowly reached in and took the weapon out. At this point, the OC slowly reacted and tried to get his rifle back, but was way too slow.

So, now the TACs have an OCs weapon, which is never a good thing. At this point, about half of us had showered and the other half hadn't, so we're in a mix of people in PTs and people in dirty ACUs. The SR TAC then has everyone get down and start pushing. He has the OC get up and says he's going to make it easy, all he has to do to get his weapon back and have everyone back up is to name the 8 troop leading procedures, something we've all known since the first Phase 0 drill. Well, he gets the first three then blow it, so we do 100 4-count flutter kicks, then he is asked fo the 5 paragraph OP order. He gets the first 4, then says "supervise" for the last one. This goes on for a while, until finally, one of the other TACs makes us sing "Don't Stop Believing" and we're allowed to stop and go to bed.

Ugh, I still can't believe he didn't know the TLPs or the OPORD.

Comment

That some funny stuff! We had to sing the national anthem like 3 times in phase I because someone off post was shooting off fireworks.

They explained to us in Phase I that if anyone lost or didnt maintain accountability of an M-16 (real ones), they would pay for it via TAC Auction. The TACs would break down a weapon part by part and auction off each part to the OC and other TACs, as the only bidders, payment to be made via PT.

The part that made me laugh was when he said "And we dont even use M-16's anymore, that means these things are VALUABLE ANTIQUES...worth way more than an M-4...so you'll have to pay more!"

Comment

Working...
                    X