X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reactivation of Tricare and TSP for Prior Service

I was a prior service enlisted Navy for 10 years. I am now signing up with the National Guard as 09S. I know I will be "enlisting" as an E5 until my completion of OCS.
    My question is when can I start my Tricare (Select Reserve) and TSP? Will I be getting a NG military ID? Will I have the same benefits like I was on active duty (i.e. commissary, exchange, etc)? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Reactivation of Tricare and TSP for Prior Service

Commissary/exchange yes.

Same ID as active duty. You should be able to get it as soon as you have your signed contract & go to an ID center to get it made.

Tricare, as soon as you're in the system as in the guard you can sign up via their website. I think there's a page you have to print/sign & send back to them.

TSP I don't really know about. I don't know if you can do that in the guard.
    Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dnall
      Commissary/exchange yes.

Same ID as active duty. You should be able to get it as soon as you have your signed contract & go to an ID center to get it made.

Tricare, as soon as you're in the system as in the guard you can sign up via their website. I think there's a page you have to print/sign & send back to them.

TSP I don't really know about. .
      Most of what the LT said is good. As for your ID, you will have to wait til your are loaded into the system (DEERS or whatever it is for SMs) before you can get your ID. Here in TX, it takes about 5 - 7 business days.

You will be eligible for TriCare Reserve Select. Little different on the what it covers and copays....
      Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much. My mind is now clear. I called the TSP hotline and I was told I could re-enroll through my unit. There will some paper works that needs to be filled out and sent to them. That shouldn't be a problem.

This forum really helped me a lot. I was hesitated to "get back in" but with this forum it opened my mind. I completed my physical and will be signing/swearing in this Tuesday.

Thanks again and God bless.

Comment

Working...
        X