• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless but interested :)

ok guys heres the scenario...

* im a permanent resident
    * i have 90+ college credits

i just got enlisted as pvf ....and will ship to my BCT in jan next year.

but the problem arose when i got to choose my mos.

apparently 15q [ even though website says..u dont need one] ...needs

clearence.... :*( ..thats what me recruiter says

which absolutely broke me heart.....cause it was that one mos i really wanted.

so i selected one which dosent need any clearence...

15g.

my recruiter told me .....once i get my citizenship...i could throw in a packet

for ocs.....and hopefully change my "branch" ....now this where i get lost...

cause i spoke to one of those "hero on call" people..and they tell me i cannot

become an ATC once i become an officer ....since officer's dont

have "mos"'

so what do i do ???

* Can i ever become a atc if i get into/graduate OCS ??

* are there no specalizations after you become an officer other than chooseing a "branch" - aviation ???

* what do officers exactly do [aviation]..if they dont have any specilizations ??

* can officers become pilots ??

* or do you guys think i should just go the WO route ?? is it better ??

wud be great if any of you could shed some light on me predicament ...

thank you in advance for answering me questions
    Last edited by balls055; August 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM.

Re: Clueless but interested

The Red font will be the answers to your questions and some comments:

Originally posted by balls055
    ok guys heres the scenario...

* im a permanent resident
    * i have 90+ college credits

i just got enlisted as pvfWhat exactly is a pvf? lol. It will be pvt, pv2, or pfc... just for your knowledge ....and will ship to my BCT in jan next year.

but the problem arose when i got to choose my mos.

apparently 15q [ even though website says..u dont need one] ...needs

clearence.... :*( ..thats what me recruiter says

which absolutely broke me heart.....cause it was that one mos i really wanted.

so i selected one which dosent need any clearence...

15g.

my recruiter told me .....once i get my citizenship...i could throw in a packet

for ocs.....and hopefully change my "branch" ....now this where i get lost...

cause i spoke to one of those "hero on call" people..and they tell me i cannot

become an ATC once i become an officer ....since officer's dont

have "mos"'

so what do i do ???

* Can i ever become a atc if i get into/graduate OCS ?? No, you will not be able to become a military ATC if you do OCS

* are there no specalizations after you become an officer other than chooseing a "branch" - aviation ??? each branch is its own specialization. aviation is the whole branch, you learn a small amount about all the jobs

* what do officers exactly do [aviation]..if they dont have any specilizations ?? Aviation officers... Fly...

* can officers become pilots ?? That would be your primary job until you becmoe a captain or so where you will take on extra leadership and jobs.

wud be great if any of you could shed some light on me predicament ...

Hopefully all your questions were answered, I'm sure an aviation officer can give you some more in depth answers, but those are the basics to get you started! Good luck

thank you in advance for answering me questions

Comment

thanks a lot eorsini

sad......cant be an atc huh... :/

...but curious...what are the odds...that an officer gets into the branch they want ???

OH.....as a pilot...which machines do ye get to fly ?

Comment

If by ATC you mean Air Traffic controller, there are officers assigned specifically to do that. There is an ATC unit very close to my home and have a friend who just commissioned assigned to them. I do not know what his branch is, but can find out.

Comment

...but curious...what are the odds...that an officer gets into the branch they want ???
          in the guard? pretty high. you'll be assigned to a unit before you commission, if i'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
            If by ATC you mean Air Traffic controller, there are officers assigned specifically to do that. There is an ATC unit very close to my home and have a friend who just commissioned assigned to them. I do not know what his branch is, but can find out.
            yes sir....i meant " air traffic controller"

really ?? ... ..that would be great if i cud be assigned to such a unit....

are there any present in NJ ?? does each state have such units ??

i would be grateful if you could ask your friend about the details....

and how to get into the program .....as an officer ???

thanks a lot in advance

ps : do you think its better that i go through as an enlisted first then as an officer ????

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13D
              in the guard? pretty high. you'll be assigned to a unit before you commission, if i'm not mistaken.

gosh...so its easier to join the branch i want in the guard if im commissioned???

that is good news after all

thank you

Comment

I stand corrected for ATC's as an officer... but sad to inform you... look at the red again...

yes sir....i meant " air traffic controller"

really ?? ... ..that would be great if i cud be assigned to such a unit....

are there any present in NJ ?? does each state have such units ??I am an officer from NJ, we have no ATC's here for the Guard(That I've ever seen... If so they have been hiding and I wasn't oriented to them.) You can however get comissioned into a different state if you find a nearby state that has them... and don't mind the drive on drill weekend.

i would be grateful if you could ask your friend about the details....

and how to get into the program .....as an officer You can call my number and I can help answer some questions since I'm from the same state If youd like, but that depends if you are going to be attending school, if you want to do OCS, etc..???

thanks a lot in advance

ps : do you think its better that i go through as an enlisted first then as an officer ????I think it helps alot to understand your soldiers, but I've meet plenty of officers that were never enlisted and did well, and I've met plenty that were enlisted and forgot where they came from. So thats for you to decide!
                And as for what you can fly, NJ is mostly Blackhawks, so look to be flying that unless you are a rare case. you'd probably be in the trenton unit, I have a good friend that's an LT in flight school right now who is also going to that unit.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini
                  I stand corrected for ATC's as an officer... but sad to inform you... look at the red again...

And as for what you can fly, NJ is mostly Blackhawks, so look to be flying that unless you are a rare case. you'd probably be in the trenton unit, I have a good friend that's an LT in flight school right now who is also going to that unit.

thank you sir.....for the clarification

sigh....nothin in nj ehh ??

are there any ATC units in NY ??

that i can look into ??

One more quick question.......

Do you think picking an aviation mos as enlisted...would help me getting the "aviation branch" after i finish ocs ???
                  Last edited by balls055; August 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X