X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery Officer in the Guard

Hello everyone.I'd like to know what it's like to be a field artillery officer and specifically what is it like being a field artillery officer in the national guard? What is a typical day like? Thanks!

Re: Artillery Officer in the Guard

It really depends on your position, i.e. Fire Support Officer, Fire Direction Officer or Platoon Leader. It also depends on your weapons system, i.e. track, towed (either 105mm/155mm) or MLRS.

I was in an M-198 battery (towed 155mm) battery. We did a lot of crew drills. It was a great unit but we also had a good commander and great AGR support.

A lot of great history in Artillery, especially in the Guard. Such as the oldest continuously active branch. Ft Sill was named after a Guard general during from the civil war. GEN Patton claimed FA won WWII.

Comment

Thanks for the answer sir! How was the training to be an artillery officer? Do you need to know lots of math? Do you get to choose which position you get? or is it randomly assigned to you? which position did you hold? Do you have any experience on the M109A6? out here in Utah that's what the Guard uses according to my recruiter(a 13B)

Comment

My battery commander put me in a PL slot. Why, I don't know.

Training. Wow, a whole thread could just be on the training. You don't need to be a math wiz to get through it, it just takes a great attention to detail. Especially in the manual gunnery phase. If you were a 13E it would probably help.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
          If you were a 13E it would probably help.
          We're called 13Ds now, sir.

Comment

Working...
          X