X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Service - Medical Discharge

I am Prior Service Marine Corps Reserves. I received a Medical Discharge for Degenerative Disc Disease. What are the chances of enlisting as an Officer if I can get my back to 100%. What would I have to do?

I'm interested in information about the 90 College Credit Hours Commissioning Program. I've tried to get info from recruiters around here but no one is following though. What is the process? Do you go to OCS commission as a O-1 and Specialty School, then join your unit once you have 90 Credit hours? Or is it more like a Internship where you shadow someone until you get your Bachelors?

Thanks
    Derek Smith
    USMCR - SGT
    dereksmith84@hotmail.com

Re: Prior Service - Medical Discharge

First, you'd need to prove that you have overcome the condition that caused your medical discharge. Good luck with that. Not only will you need to convince your civilian doctor, then you'll need to convince a MEPS doctor. I'm not a doctor myself, but I do know that the word "degenerative" means "it continues to get worse." I don't know how you can fix something like that.

Recruiters tend not to spend much time with applicants that have disqualifying conditions, although it is rude and a bit unprofessional of them not to make that clear.

OCS Link.
    Last edited by matthew.ritchie; August 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Degenerative Disc Disease doesn't mean it gets worse over time, it just means it's been degenerating. Everyones disc degenerate, but some more than others due to an sudden injury or many other variables.

My doctors have told me, it is something that I can deal with and will go away with regular exercise. But, the reason I was discharged from the Marines is they said if I hurt it again, they would treat it as a pre-existing condition, and I would have to pay for it.

Would I better my chances of them putting in effort if I went into the recruiting office with a civilian doctors approval to begin with?

Thank you for your answer sir, I figured that is what was going on.

Comment

Originally posted by dsmit302
        Would I better my chances of them putting in effort if I went into the recruiting office with a civilian doctors approval to begin with?
        Yes. I recommend that you don't even contact a recruiter until you have a stack of civilian medical documents stating your fitness and health. Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
        X