Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question

Hello everyone,
    I have a question on National Guard benefits.I want to go to college and do ROTC while in the Guard and then when I graduate serve as an officer in the active Army.I've heard that many of the benefits the guard offers to help pay for college incur service requirements to the guard and the state in which I live and that this would interfere with me becoming an active duty officer.Is this true?

Re: question

Originally posted by jc091393
    Hello everyone,
    I have a question on National Guard benefits.I want to go to college and do ROTC while in the Guard and then when I graduate serve as an officer in the active Army.I've heard that many of the benefits the guard offers to help pay for college incur service requirements to the guard and the state in which I live and that this would interfere with me becoming an active duty officer.Is this true?
    http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...splay.php?f=35

Take a look at some of the posts which address your questions.

Comment

Wow I feel dumb now lol.Thanks for the reply sir! I should've looked a little harder before posting.

Comment

I have another question to ask.If I want to do ROTC and commision as an Active Army officer should I enlist for four years drilling or six? If I do six and getting a bachelor's degree should take four won't I have to fulfill that obligation first before becoming an Active Army officer?

Comment

Don't fret. You can enlist, then apply for the SMP Program, then at the end of ROTC you can either stay guard or active. You will have the ability to do either or.

The question how you want to get started.

1) Enlist and not go to basic
          2) Enlist and attend basic but not AIT
          3) Enlist and complete AIT

No to answer your question.

Comment

Thanks for the answer Sir! I definitely want to enlist ASAP and get BCT/AIT out of the way next summer and then start college

Comment

That will be a good immersion experience.

You probably want to choose a short MOS, such as Infantry, Cannon Crewmember (since artillery is the king of battle anyways), or something else of short.

Just contact a recruiter, sometimes if you need waivers it can take a while to enlist and the summer training phase usually fills up fast.

Just remember that the SMP program has to be approved by your NG unit when you get back from AIT.

If this is what you want to do, just go ahead and start the process.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393
                I have another question to ask.If I want to do ROTC and commision as an Active Army officer should I enlist for four years drilling or six? If I do six and getting a bachelor's degree should take four won't I have to fulfill that obligation first before becoming an Active Army officer?
                Whether you enlist for four or six doesn't matter inasmuch as your ROTC contract will supercede that ARNG contract for the purposes of establishing your service obligation. It will likely not matter in your case, but since it effectively costs you nothing extra I'd recommend signing a six year contract. A six year contract clearly establishes your eligibility for certain incentives which you don't plan to take -- although people have been known to change their mind about their service component, so perhaps I may have just saved your bacon two years from now.

You've already read my post about which incentives carry an ARNG-specific service obligation, so don't take them unless you plan to fulfill that obligation. The Guard has gotten very good at the recoupment process. Our old ESO loved doing the recoupment process. He used to put copies of those voided checks from Soldiers on the wall above his desk as if they were deer head trophies.

Comment

Thank you Sirs for your replies! I've contacted a recruiter and I'm enlisting in three weeks as a 13B or 13F and then going to go to BCT/AIT next summer and start college/ROTC next fall semester!

Comment

Working...
                  X