Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Up or out

Originally posted by Frisco
    Can he, if he butts up against the maximum enlistment age limitation?

Say that officer commissions at age 30, spends 16 years in with little or no active duty time, and finds himself at age 46 facing this issue. Is there an exception to the age limitation for officers enlisting under these circumstances?
    That max age limit is for new enlistments. The case you have described is not a new enlistment, this is a prior service Soldier. His prior years of service basically raise the max age for him to enlist. Under the situation you have described, his age will not affect his eligibility for enlistment.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
      His prior years of service basically raise the max age for him to enlist.
      I thought it was only active duty years that extended the age limit for prior service re-enlistment - so reserve time counts, too? If that's the case, what qualifies as a year for these purposes - does it take a reserve 'good retirement year', or will any service time count?

Sorry, not trying to use you as a research tool - if you can tell me which regulation this falls under, I'll go read through it myself.

Thanks.

Comment

Basically, the NG tends to have a lot more money for training/schools than the Army Reserve. You should get as many Captain's Career Courses as possible while you are in the Guard. Then when you are close to promotion to either CPT or MAJ see the vacancies for both the Guard and the Reserves. From what I've heard, we have a lot of CPTs making the switch to the Reserves because there are simply more slots for field grade officers in the Reserves compared to the Guard.

Comment

ahh, so things haven't changed much. A long time ago, my dad told me he had a choice, retire or go to the Army Reserves. He was an O-5, 25 years in, and he was done, so he retired. He could have squeezed a few more years out of Uncle Sam had he gone Army Reserve.

But the joke going around was that he retired because he didn't want to buy BDUs. (We had changed to BDUs the previous year)

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816
            Basically, the NG tends to have a lot more money for training/schools than the Army Reserve. You should get as many Captain's Career Courses as possible while you are in the Guard. Then when you are close to promotion to either CPT or MAJ see the vacancies for both the Guard and the Reserves. From what I've heard, we have a lot of CPTs making the switch to the Reserves because there are simply more slots for field grade officers in the Reserves compared to the Guard.
            Like the NG, funding for schools can vary greatly between units.

As far as field grade slots, I'd probably guess there's actually less slots as there's less GO commands. It just appears to be more for a couple of reasons.

Unlike the NG, USAR miltechís civilian and military ranks arenít tied together. For instance, when I was attending OCS, of the 12 of the COL/O-6 slots only 1 was a TPU. So for reservists, youíre really competing against other TPU officers and not miltechís.

The other reason you see vacancies is because of the over use of cross leveling. This leads to a lot of officers getting out.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X