X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Up or out

Does anyone have stats showing what percentage of officers are forced out by this policy?

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper TJ
      Just can't seem to get a straight answer from the brain trust in HQ here - You can make O-5, no problem....no, you're capped at O-3....you might make O-4 but you need to re-class but your not allowed to in your field...

No OBLC scheduled yet. Now officially at 2.5 years for this "process". That should be some kind of record. Maybe a ribbon is in order.... At least I'll be in a new PFT age group soon...silver lining
      You're not getting a "straight" answer becuase its a state specific question.

Comment

You need to ask your OSM how many 72D slots there are in the state, and what their ranks are. Chances are there will be relatively few. There are five in my state.

Then ask if there aren't any slots for a Major, what is available that a 72D can do...Company Commander of a med co. would come to mind, maybe an AMEDD slot, or FHP officer. If you want to further your chances, ask for the OBLC LONG course. You unit will schedule that.

Realize, you are trying to enter a VERY small community. I think you should have a good talk with your OSM on what scenarios you can play out to make 20 if you are looking to.

I've had this discussion with my boss. Basically he said what LTC Ritchie said. Do your job, do it well, and your state will take care of you, assuming you take care of yourself of course. The difference is though, I have 8 years active, and I'm in an O3 slot.

Comment

does this whole line of questioning point out the benefits of serving as enlisted first? I think it does.

Example, an 18 year old high school senior, enlists as soon as he turns 18, spends most of his senior year in RSP, then goes to basic and AIT following graduation, performs M-Day soldier duties while attending college, then enrolls in ROTC, graduates with a gold bar at age 22. By the time he encounters these kinds of problems, he probably has 16 or 17 years of time as an officer.

Even if he gets forced out, he still has his twenty good years.

Same soldier, no enlisted service has an up or out situation 16 years in, only service is as an officer, he's screwed. no retirement at all. he's done.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
            You're not getting a "straight" answer becuase its a state specific question.
            I didn't mean the answers in this forum. My state provided those responses I listed earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd
              You need to ask your OSM how many 72D slots there are in the state, and what their ranks are. Chances are there will be relatively few. There are five in my state.

I'm it :::cue Mighty Mouse theme music:::

Comment

I laughed out loud, I use to watch that as a kid haha

Comment

I'd say that's funny, but it sure is a dilemma. You must be slotted in as a Captain then? Where are you going, as the only 72D in the state?

Comment

I'd say that's funny, but it sure is a dilemma. You must be slotted in as a Captain then? Where are you going, as the only 72D in the state?

Meaning...?

Comment

Meaning...?
                      Meaning to commission you, you must have a vacancy to commission into. So your OSM already knows what your assignment is. Are you going to be a staff ESO at battalion, brigade, or going to your state AMEDD, or the Preventive med officer at a medical unit.......and the such. And accordingly, that position is slotted for a certain rank. You can commission into a Captain slot, or a 1LT slot.

What have you been told you are going to be doing, and where?

Comment

Meaning to commission you, you must have a vacancy to commission into. So your OSM already knows what your assignment is. Are you going to be a staff ESO at battalion, brigade, or going to your state AMEDD, or the Preventive med officer at a medical unit.......and the such. And accordingly, that position is slotted for a certain rank. You can commission into a Captain slot, or a 1LT slot.

What have you been told you are going to be doing, and where?
                        I feel this thread has somehow shifted to my plight :::all eyes on me:::

Just a coincidence that when I first approached the recruiter about OCS, he stated that I had the right degree for a DC in a recently created 72D slot. So I'll be the 1st. All those assignments you listed have been mentioned to me as possibilities. That is no joke either. One of the first recruiters I had told me he was training his replacement as this state did not have a dedicated AMEDD recruiter. That was about 7 recruiters ago, though. I have yet to speak to the current OSM (been through 4 of them as well) but I think I will soon as this is to wrap up this month. I think you mentioned that when you came on you were told to figure out what an ESO does and implement it. I think I'm in the same boat here. Focus on FHP but as I said, all of those assignments you listed have been brought up.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thadband
                          does this whole line of questioning point out the benefits of serving as enlisted first? I think it does.

Example, an 18 year old high school senior, enlists as soon as he turns 18, spends most of his senior year in RSP, then goes to basic and AIT following graduation, performs M-Day soldier duties while attending college, then enrolls in ROTC, graduates with a gold bar at age 22. By the time he encounters these kinds of problems, he probably has 16 or 17 years of time as an officer.

Same soldier, no enlisted service has an up or out situation 16 years in, only service is as an officer, he's screwed. no retirement at all. he's done.
                          Before this thread got sidetracked, this was what I was concerned about.

Comment

If for some confluence of circumstances, an officer finds himself facing mandatory removal for reasons not concerning legality or performance, he may enlist as an E5, and continue his career in that manner (or as a WO, provided he is otherwise eligible). He still retires at the highest grade honorably held for which he meets retirement standards (i.e., time in grade).

Note that a major who meets basic standards (i.e., not a criminal) may stay in service until he has 20 years of commissioned service.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thadband

No. This whole line of questioning begs for carreer counseling/mentorship by a more senior officer. A senior officer can help guide a prospective officer into a branch where they can proffesionally grow and help them manage thier carreers.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie
                                If for some confluence of circumstances, an officer finds himself facing mandatory removal for reasons not concerning legality or performance, he may enlist as an E5, and continue his career in that manner
                                Can he, if he butts up against the maximum enlistment age limitation?

Say that officer commissions at age 30, spends 16 years in with little or no active duty time, and finds himself at age 46 facing this issue. Is there an exception to the age limitation for officers enlisting under these circumstances?

Comment

Working...
                                X