X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airborne School/Air Assault School/ Ranger School

How can one go to any of these schools in the title as a new 2LT?

Do you have to be Infantry to go to Ranger School?

Re: Airborne School/Air Assault School/ Ranger School

Originally posted by Guard dog 777

Aren't these all offered up at ROTC for you guys? They even have Ranger challenge.

Comment

Be squared away and max the APFT. From everything I've been told, it's increasingly difficult to get Airborne/Air Assault unless you're in a unit that has that specialty. Even in that case, you need to be a top performer to get selected to attend one of the aforementioned schools.

I think Ranger school would be easier to get for an Infantry Junior Officer (as opposed to an enlisted Joe), but again, the Guard is a different animal from the active side and it's difficult for the NG to get slots. YMMV.
      Last edited by mheathershaw; April 27th, 2010, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guard dog 777

Your unit is probably going to tell you you need to complete BOLC first, but after that you just have to get with your training NCO or Officer and let him know what you want to go to. If you bring him the school dates and location and codes usually they will do it since they don't have to do much.. but you have to make sure you're physically fit enough to do it. Other than that it just depends on how your training shop is.. If they are willing, bring them whatever you want and they will help you get it.
        About ranger school: Its hard to get into as a guard soldier, but not impossible. You need to be extrememly fit and HOOAH'ed out for it. There is a 2 week pre-ranger course for all guard soldiers who want to attend regular ranger school, so check out the pre-req's and plan accordingly.
        I got Airborne during ROTC, but it's possible to get any of these schools as an Officer. I'm at an antiterrorism school now, I went to combatives 1 and rigger school a few months ago, and I leave for Air Assault June 20-July 1. I'm working out a time to go to pre -ranger... I don't want to go when it's too hot. but I'm a quartermaster so it goes to show you you don't need to be infantry.. just be stupid and willing.

Comment

Or join my unit in TX....they are in the manning phase now....

http://www.agd.state.tx.us/36id/storyquery.asp?ID=14

Comment

Originally posted by mheathershaw
            Be squared away and max the APFT. From everything I've been told, it's increasingly difficult to get Airborne/Air Assault unless your in a unit that has that specialty. Even in that case, you need to be a top performer to get selected to attend one of the aforementioned schools.

I think Ranger school would be easier to get for an Infantry Junior Officer (as opposed to an enlisted Joe), but again, the Guard is a different animal from the active side and it's difficult for the NG to get slots. YMMV.
            I agree with being squared away and maxing the PT Test, those are defs. But it's not really difficult to get airborne. The school has 3 or 4 companies(i cant remember) and 300 people every class. Thats a redic amount of airborne grads a month. Air Assault was hard for me to get, I wanted it since day one and 6 years later I finally have a date for it. The NG side has a good number of slots to airborne, and now they have their own schoolhouse for air assault and pathfinder so it's easier to get. The reason people think it's hard to get these schools is they are either not physically fit enough, or aren't on the unit training NCO/Officer's good side. That one person can hook you up with schools or hinder you. Take me as your example: As enlisted I got the shaft with everything. Became an officer and kissed up to my training NCO... and I've gone to more schools in the past 3 months than the rest of my army career combined.
            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KMANinTX
              Or join my unit in TX....they are in the manning phase now....

http://www.agd.state.tx.us/36id/storyquery.asp?ID=14
              HAHHA there you go!

PS- sgt, ranger challenge sounds cool and Hooah, but it's really a geek squad.. it's not even ranger tasks or hard.. it's a points thing for a sort of obstacle course and basic soldier tasks. When I found out what it was I was so mad cause it sounded great lol. I remember cause I thought robin sage sounded great too... you "train with the special forces for a few weeks". actually your OPFOR for them and you only see them if they do something wrong. extremely stupid lol
              Last edited by SFC_Wilson; April 17th, 2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

our rotc offers mountain warfare, airborne, and airassault. We have two nursing cadets going airborne this summer and i might consider for next seeing as I can't do ldac till my senior year. I hear it's bad on your knees though.

We have a pretty good ranger challenge team but never, no way, not for me. I'll be busy enough without the clubs. I know what branch I'll get so no need to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
                  our rotc offers mountain warfare, airborne, and airassault. We have two nursing cadets going airborne this summer and i might consider for next seeing as I can't do ldac till my senior year. I hear it's bad on your knees though.

We have a pretty good ranger challenge team but never, no way, not for me. I'll be busy enough without the clubs. I know what branch I'll get so no need to compete.
                  Airborne wasn't that bad.. Yea, you run everywhere, but its ok. Morning runs aren't too fast and when you run in boots it's not that far. Get some good insoles and make sure you bring broken in boots and you'll be fine. Make sure to request blood wings!

Comment

lol, if I can't go with rotc I might be able to at my unit. They said they probably wouldn't send a female air assualt but airborne was an option.

Comment

Wow that was alot of good info. Thank you all. Right now I am OC now in TX. I had a 5 year break in service and the guard is a different animal then active duty. Gentlemen and Ladies (if applicable),
                      Thanks for your input, Hooah!

Comment

This is all just great infomation, reads like a exciting Clancy Novel, cant wait for the next chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                          This is all just great infomation, reads like a exciting Clancy Novel, cant wait for the next chapter.
                          Tom clancy had an exciting novel??

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                            haha..

Honestly, your state asks for a number of slots to every different kind of school each year. That gets combined & reduced at NGB. Then Big Army does the same. Then your state gets a fixed number of training quotas per year for a given school. That's all that's getting paid for. They can horse trade between states, and often do to meet needs.

Your state then breaks down those slots to the units under them. So, an infantry unit is going to get a lot of those hooah type schools & an aviation unit isn't. If there's a quota out there, and they want to send you, then they can. If not, then it doesn't matter how great you are.

So... if you're going to an airborne unit you'll get airborne for sure. If not, then it can be a fight or it can be units making deals to take care of their folks. You need to be both lucky and good.

Comment

Hooah, thanks Gentlemen!

Comment

Working...
                              X