X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions Before Joining

Hello, my name is Trevor James MacEwan. I'm 18 years old, and planning on joining the National Guard next year. After my next quarter at Shoreline Community College. I just got some questions about basic things before joining. I'll try to explain myself on why I'm asking them. I've done research, and checked around various sites for information. But I think It's wise for me to ask people currently in or have been in the Guard.

My first question is about the GED. I can sense "great another GED question" but hear me out on this one. Okay I know you can join the Guard with a GED. But does community college credits count as credits with the GED? Or, do you need to be in University? I currently have 68 credits in community college right now. I'm taking 10 more next quarter. So, by the end I'll have 78 credits. I'm trying to get a degree in nursing. However I need to do something with my life. So, I believe joining the Guard will help me. The program I've been with has paid for everything. So, I've basically been in college for free. Doing alternative high school but with college credit and degree potential, but it only covers you until your 21. Currently at the rate I'm doing I won't be able to get my degree. Also will an IEP (Individualized Education Program) disqualify you from joining the Guard? I had one when I was in the public school system for reading, math, and writing.

My next question is about the recruiter. What should I do before I see the recruiter? What types of documents and Identification should I bring? From what I've seen. It varies from state to state. I don't have a passport book but I'm getting my Passport Card soon. I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Also, do you need the Official GED or can you take the Official GED test Scores? My real GED never showed up... I still have the results saying that I passed. I even graduated at the Community College with the holder and everything. I might contact the Testing Center, and see why it hasn't showed up yet.

Okay my next question deals about contraband. What is exactly considered contraband at Basic Combat Training? I know it ranges from electronics to books. I know you can bring a bible. But what is the size requirement? Can you also bring a wallet sized photo of your family? Or will the D.I rip it up considering it contraband. I know that every D.I is different and has different standards. Also, I know that bases have different rules.

Now I'll ask about homesickness. Is there ways to help you deal with homesickness at basic combat training and advanced individual training? Are there people you can talk to about feeling homesick? I heard you could talk to a chaplain. Of course you could talk about it with your Battle Buddy if your close to them. I get homesick but it's rare and takes a while for me to get effected by it. I usually miss my family and feel lonely.

So, that's about it for now. Oh yeah before I forget what should I ask the recruiter? I think I saw something about a list of 20 things you should ask. I know it depends on what you want to do in the guard. For me it will be medical. I generally like to help people and I can stay calm in stressful situations.

Last question its kind of random. Does the MRE's taste any good? My youth pastor who served in the Guard for 8 years said it made him constipated. Hopefully the won't do that to me.

Well, I know it's a lot before the holidays. I don't expect immediate answers. I just hope everyone has a good Christmas and New Year's.

Contact Info.

You can either email, pm me on the forum, or facebook message me, you can add me as a friend if you think its necessary.

Email: tmacewan@go.shoreline.edu
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/YakouTenma11

Good night, got to get up again at 5am.

Re: Some Questions Before Joining

Read your post, will respond later. But I need to point out first, it's not D.I (that is Marine). It's Drill Sergeant.

But of course, by all means, call them DI and scream AYE AYE SIR!

Comment

Originally posted by Tmacster1 View Post
      My first question is about the GED. I can sense "great another GED question" but hear me out on this one. Okay I know you can join the Guard with a GED. But does community college credits count as credits with the GED? Or, do you need to be in University? I currently have 68 credits in community college right now. I'm taking 10 more next quarter. So, by the end I'll have 78 credits. I'm trying to get a degree in nursing. However I need to do something with my life. So, I believe joining the Guard will help me. The program I've been with has paid for everything. So, I've basically been in college for free. Doing alternative high school but with college credit and degree potential, but it only covers you until your 21. Currently at the rate I'm doing I won't be able to get my degree. Also will an IEP (Individualized Education Program) disqualify you from joining the Guard? I had one when I was in the public school system for reading, math, and writing.
      The amount of quarter credits you have surpass the 15 semester hours needed with the GED.

Also take a look at this:
      http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...and-promotions
      Last edited by Mike.; December 22nd, 2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I can answer some of your questions....

Contraband...no clue. The rules and regs keep changing almost on a monthly basis. I go by this rule...if you don't need it, don't bring it. I went to Marine Boot Camp with nothing but my wallet and my clothes on. Everything was boxed up and they issued me everything I would need for 3 months of boot camp. I know Army Basic has changed and is different than Marine Boot Camp, but my rule is still a pretty good one to go by.

As far as Homesickenss. We've all had it. Some of us still get it. But you just learn to deal with it in your own way. And you don't let it cloud your mind. I can't think of any solve-all solution for homesickness. For me, email has always helped but mostly I focus on my job while I'm away and try not to think about home. Over time you learn that you're not missing too much being away from home.

Questions to ask recruiters? Ask anything. It's up to the recruiter how to answer it...be it the truth or half-truth. Just know what you want to ask. Know what you're interested in. Be honest too.

MREs? Delicious. Love 'em! hahaha.... If you know of an Army Surplus store...buy one for $15 and ask yourself if it was worth the cost. Hehe...

good luck.

Comment

Your Drill Sergeant isn't going to rip up or destroy any of your property. If you bring it with you and you can't have it they will lock it up and give it back when you graduate. The rules are changing so much with what you can and can't bring. Your recruiter will be better able to help you with that when the time gets closer. And, once you know where you are going you can ask people on here who have been there recently.
          The IEP doesn't matter nor do you even need to bring it up.
          Homesickness is tough but you have to remind yourself (if you are in the guard) that once training is over you will get to go home. You will get to make calls home and send and receive letters so that helps (sometimes makes it worse though). You just have to keep reminding yourself that it will be over soon and will be worth it in the end.
          The Guard will be a great way for you to finish becoming a nurse and you will have so many opportunities. Wit hthe credits you have - assuming they are all 100 level and above - you will even be able to go in at a higher rank.

Comment

Oh, for your first meeting with the recruiter documents aren't too important but I would bring your college transcript, birth certificate, social security card, driver's license and GED. I didn't even need to show my high school diploma this time around because I have a degree and showed them that so my high school info was irrelevant. But, I would bring your GED with you any way.

Comment

Homesickness

One of the best strategies for dealing with homesickness is to remain outwardly focused. That is, remain oriented towards others, to positive social interaction, and towards achievable goals and milestones.

Like physical pain, your emotional pain has a valid role in your life. When it gets out of control, then it can hamper your success. Thus, don't be ashamed of missing your family, but keep it from paralyzing you.

The typical situation at any military training is that you'll make 1-3 close friends within 72 hours of arrival (and probably one enemy). Ther nature of the situation is a friendship accelerator, so the relationship that took you four years to build in high school you'll achieve in six weeks at Basic Training.

Bear in mind that thousands of people complete Basic every year, and they can't all be better than you.

Comment

Here is a link regarding what to bring to basic training http://www.nationalguard.com/guard-b...bring-to-basic.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions ;-). Most of my classes were 100 or higher except math which I started at 70. I made it to 99 which is basically (Intensive Intermediate Algebra) the math requirement for nursing. I don't see a point going higher in math. All I know I'll be at basic for more than a year. Due to the medical career being so expansive. Also depends how far I want to go. AIT ranges from 6 to 56 weeks + the 10 weeks in basic. Thanks for the tips about homesickness. True, the National Guard allows you to stay within your state which is nice. Unless your called out for a national or international emergencies.

Comment

Working...
                  X