X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Sam doesn't want me?

Hi, so I've recently decided that I would like to join the Guard. I've studied the military since I was very young. It's always been a great interest of mine and I'm sure that I could make a good soldier. But there's a catch. I'm home schooled, which means my way of graduating is to get a GED after my senior year. After talking to a Marine recruiter I learned that a GED doesn't qualify you for the military. I was devastated. So naturally I was thrilled to hear about the GED plus program that the Guard offers. But there's a problem there too. I didn't drop out of, or fail school, I was home schooled since the beginning. Which means that I wouldn't even have the required papers (certified 9th grade paper) to get into that program? Which leaves me with seemingly no other option. This frustrates me, like you wouldn't believe... Surely there's a way for a home schooled kid to serve his country. It's been my dream since I was very young. Please help!

Re: Uncle Sam doesn't want me?

There are homeschooled people in the guard. Not all of homeschool graduates get a GED, many actually graduate with an actual diploma. You can always get 15 college credits and then join with a GED.

Comment

If you look through the forums you will see that its dependent on your state what they take for enlistment.

I believe one enlistment option is GED with 15 college credits you might want to look at that.

Do you have a GED, specifically?

Comment

Well, I'm supposed to get a GED at the end of this year. And the problem with getting the credits is that I was depending on the Guard to help pay for college. And I've heard that it can take up to two years to earn enough credits... So I'm totally confused. I just don't see how I'm gunna join

Comment

Originally posted by HolinessWarrior View Post
          Well, I'm supposed to get a GED at the end of this year. And the problem with getting the credits is that I was depending on the Guard to help pay for college. And I've heard that it can take up to two years to earn enough credits... So I'm totally confused. I just don't see how I'm gunna join
          I don't know what your economic situation is.

Do you live near a community college? Community colleges, generally, are cheap. If you can go to school full time for 1 semester and take 5 three hour courses then you could knock out that requirement in about 4 months. I would take 5 100 or 200 level classes that you like.

There is also CLEP. Which is an exam to get credits. Its about $20-30 for a study book and about $110 for each individual the test and processing.
          I wouldn't recommend this route unless you know a subject really well.

I'm sure there are other ways too, that somebody can recommend.

Comment

I've enlisted kids in RI that were home schooled but, they had a deploma. Their parents simply submitted the required required by whichever home school review board would review them and then waited for a Diploma in the mail. Look online for a better place to send ALL of your mid terms & finals FOR A DIPLOMA.
            Hi, so I've recently decided that I would like to join the Guard. I've studied the military since I was very young. It's always been a great interest of mine and I'm sure that I could make a good soldier. But there's a catch. I'm home schooled, which means my way of graduating is to get a GED after my senior year. After talking to a Marine recruiter I learned that a GED doesn't qualify you for the military. I was devastated. So naturally I was thrilled to hear about the GED plus program that the Guard offers. But there's a problem there too. I didn't drop out of, or fail school, I was home schooled since the beginning. Which means that I wouldn't even have the required papers (certified 9th grade paper) to get into that program? Which leaves me with seemingly no other option. This frustrates me, like you wouldn't believe... Surely there's a way for a home schooled kid to serve his country. It's been my dream since I was very young. Please help!

Comment

As a homeschooling parent, it was brought to my attention that in most states, as long as a student meets the state requirements for graduation, a diploma can be granted by the "school" (read - teachers/parents). There are also many homeschool associations that can help with this, and it may require some testing, but many high schools (public or private) will actually grant a diploma to homeschooled students in their district.

Bottom line, you can get a GED and there are options for enlistment, but a diploma makes a lot of things easier across the board. Explore your options for obtaining an actual diploma.

Good Luck,

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the replies. They're much appreciated. I've asked my parents about possibly switching to a home schooled program that offers a diploma. With this being my final year that's rather complicated though. I'm thinking right now the best option would be to just bust my tail and try and get the credits in one semester. I'll just have to find a reasonably priced school. Not to seem like a bother, but I have one more question for any recruiters reading this. My best friend joined the Marines, and his recruiter pulled strings to acquire an infantry slot for him. Well, since the fact that I'm home schooled is the reason that I don't have the required papers for the GED plus program, is there any possible way I could still get into that? Or is there no exceptions whatsoever? Thanks, a lot!

Comment

Get into the marines or into an infantry slot?

As for the Guard, it doesn't matter what job you enlist for, you will still have the same basic education requirement.

Comment

Marine recruiter pulling strings for infantry? Either this applicant was CATIV or he was disabled haha.

You can walk and breath and you qualify for Marine Infantry.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      Marine recruiter pulling strings for infantry? Either this applicant was CATIV or he was disabled haha.

You can walk and breath and you qualify for Marine Infantry.
                      lol..."I had to call a favor into the White House, but it looks like I got you...wait for it...Infantry!"

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                        lol..."I had to call a favor into the White House, but it looks like I got you...wait for it...Infantry!"
                        SSG, you literally had me laughing out loud with your response.

Comment

The Marine infantry slots are currently taken up. If you applied for the infantry they would say there's no slots left. But this kid is seriously the most patriotic kid I've ever met. He lives and breaths God and country. And his recruiters love him. I'd hardly call him disabled.
                          - Respectfully, Luke K.

Comment

Well, make jokes if you want, but I'm not here to argue. I'm simply trying to figure out how to join so I can serve my country. If anyone can help, please do so. Thanks.

Comment

Well, make jokes if you want, but I'm not here to argue. I'm simply trying to figure out how to join so I can serve my country. If anyone can help, please do so. Thanks.
                              You have been given some advice on here but I am a little confused now. You say you are joining because you want the Guard to help pay for college. After seeing a little military humor you become defensive and now want to join to serve your country. So if the Guard was not offering college assistance would your desire to join be as strong? Anyway, put your frustration aside, learn to laugh, and with the assitance of your parents start researching the high school dipoloma stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X