X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Uncle Sam doesn't want me?

Well I want to join for multiple reasons. As I've already said I've wanted to join the military since I was very young. I wasn't exactly thinking of having them pay for my schooling at six years old lol. I've just always loved the military. So to say that I'm joining to have them pay for college is entirely wrong. But yes, it is a very nice benefit. And yes my desire would still be very, very strong. You'll have to forgive me if I seem short tempered. I apologise. It's just that my dream is to join the military and it frustrates me that a common high school drop out can join and yet I can't simply because I was home schooled.

Comment

I think that there may be more options out there than you think. Don't get impatient and let impatience cause you to make rash decisions and/or statements you might later regret.

Do I understand correctly that you are a Senior this year? If so, unless you would be planning on getting your GED this month and starting community college in Jan to get your 15 credits, you actually have about 7-8 months to keep looking for other options. If you can work something else out sooner - BONUS!!

Comment

Originally posted by HolinessWarrior View Post
        Well I want to join for multiple reasons. As I've already said I've wanted to join the military since I was very young. I wasn't exactly thinking of having them pay for my schooling at six years old lol. I've just always loved the military. So to say that I'm joining to have them pay for college is entirely wrong. But yes, it is a very nice benefit. And yes my desire would still be very, very strong. You'll have to forgive me if I seem short tempered. I apologise. It's just that my dream is to join the military and it frustrates me that a common high school drop out can join and yet I can't simply because I was home schooled.
        First of all, you might want to watch what you say because some people on here that can give you valuable advice are common high school drop outs.
        Second, anyone without a regular diploma (GED) and doesn't have 15 college credits is in the same boat as you right now. The military is not in need of recruits so they can pick and choose who they want.
        Third, you have options you just need to do some research to figure out what you or your parents need to do in order to have your education be counted by your state so you can get a regular school diploma

Comment

Check out this website:
          http://www.hslda.org/highschool/diploma.asp
          "High School Diploma

A high school diploma is a document that bears record of the completion of a course of study. If you're wondering whether your homeschooled student can receive a diploma, the answer is yes!

As the parent, you've prescribed your child's course of study and you can present a diploma that indicates he has successfully completed it. Some correspondence schools also provide diplomas for completion of their course of study.

If for some reason the college your child wants to attend looks skeptically at homeschool diplomas, the quickest way to demonstrate academic competence is to have your child take several courses at the local community college. By dual enrolling, your child can take classes that help complete her high school course work while earning college credit at the same time (subject to state and individual college policies). Those college credits will allow your child to transfer to the school of her choice. (If you select this route, be sure that your child's destination college will accept the specific college courses she plans to take.)"

"Do I need an “accredited” diploma? If so, how do I get one? Some colleges and employers look down on a homeschool diploma (they want it to be state-certified).The quick answer is, “No.” However, there are certain schools and organizations that have received accreditation from an accrediting body and their diplomas are considered to be accredited. In order to obtain an accredited diploma, a student must complete graduation requirements from a school—whether it be correspondence or on campus—that is accredited by a recognized accrediting organization. Public high schools are not necessarily accredited. Therefore, the diplomas they issue would not be accredited either. However, colleges and universities generally recognize these public high school diplomas as if they were issued by accredited organizations.
          Even so, how do I get an “accredited” diploma?There are organizations which, for a fee, offer to give homeschool students an “accredited” diploma upon completion of their program. In HSLDA’s experience, most homeschool parents do not seek such an accredited diploma."

Comment

Originally posted by HolinessWarrior View Post
            The Marine infantry slots are currently taken up. If you applied for the infantry they would say there's no slots left. But this kid is seriously the most patriotic kid I've ever met. He lives and breaths God and country. And his recruiters love him. I'd hardly call him disabled.
            - Respectfully, Luke K.
            Luke,

Nobody here was doubting his yearning for patriotic duty. I assume when you say that slots are taken up; its because the school seats are full for the fiscal year. I believe if he holds out; he will eventually will able to receive a slot. The joke was the qualification bit.

I joined the Army 29 years ago and still am serving so I know when you are young and eager for something.

Like I said before; good luck.

Comment

I posted two seperate posts but both said they need moderator approval...hmmm...one had some good info!

Comment

Okay, first of all, thank you guys for the replies. I appreciate them and I apologise if I seemed irritable. My tone wasn't as harsh as my words sounded lol. And as A.Mac+ stated, I've got months to find a solution. With that being said, I have one for question for you guys. Now mind you I'm not looking for any kind of special treatment, that's a poor attitude to have going into the military. But let's say I went ahead and got my GED at the end of the year, (I would need it for the credits anyway) now the GED plus program requires the 9th grade paper. If I went to a Guard recruiter and told him that my only flaw was that I didn't have the paper, but I had something better, I already had a GED, and respectfully requested a chance to prove myself in their own GED program, would there be the slightest chance of that happening? I mean surely a full GED qualifies you just as well as a 9th grade paper... Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Ok, I think you may be getting tunnel vision and are missing something we've been trying to tell you. So here goes, one last time.

Assuming that you & your parents have met the requirements for your state (standardized test scores above 25th percentile, regular reporting, etc.) so you are not considered truant (drop-out), you can join the National Guard just like any other high school graduate.

Your parents can print and sign a diploma for you. It can be as fancy or as plain as they want. They could even have a print shop print & emboss it. You then take that diploma into your recruiters office and you proceed as a high school graduate.

Unless there is something you're not telling us, this is your easiest path into the National Guard. Some colleges may not be quite as easy but many are actually actively recruiting homeschool students because they generally out perform their peers. If you score well enough on the ACT and/or SAT they won't really care if your diploma is on the back of a napkin, so go take at least one of those tests.

Now, just start filling out your Path To Honor application here: National Guard Apply Online and then talk to a recruiter. If you don't want PTH to choose your recruiter for you, check out this thread: Different-Recruiter Make sure you mark anything regarding high school with the assumption that you are going to graduate and have a diploma in the spring.

Good Luck,

Comment

No, you can not go to GED plus if you have a GED already. There are no exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                    X