Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Joining the National Guard, OSUT, Being a 19D, other questions Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the National Guard, OSUT, Being a 19D, other questions

Hey all,

I've been looking into joining the Army National Guard and have done a fair bit of research (Gotta love Google and search functions) but I have some questions which I haven't been able to find answers for yet (they may be out there and I just haven't found them).

So, for starters I'm 19, 5'7", 168 lb., but don't have a Highschool diploma because I'm Homeschooled. I have read that I can join with the GED I just have to score better on the ASVAB or get 15 college credits. I'm very good at Arithmetic (specifically doing it in my head) and Writing skills. I live in eastern GA and am looking into joining one of the Georgia or South Carolina NG units within a few hours of my area.

I have taken the three short practice tests and two of the three full practice tests. On the three short tests I scored a total of 70%, 80%, and 92.5%. On the two full tests I scored 79.22% and 80%. I know these numbers don't specifically determine how well I'll do on the real test but since they are percent correct numbers perhaps someone could give me an idea of how well I'll do. On the ASVAB I do best on the AR, WK, PC, MK, MC, and AO areas. GS, EI, and AS I do alright on.

I've always been interested in weapons(multiple types, not just video game weapons which I know for the most part are way off) and have studied concealment & strategics. I admit I have played FPS video games but that is not the reason I'm interested in joining. I'm also well aware that games are nothing like the real thing.

I have no criminal, alcohol, or drug-abuse history. And have never had any serious illnesses/diseases or broken/fractured bones. I have never needed glasses and have normal vision.

I have not spoken to a Recruiter, yet.

Questions:
    1. Regarding the GED, is it imperative that I get 15 college credits so that the military see's me as just as smart as HS graduates? I know the Army allows the most GED holders to join, though it still requires them to receive a 50 or higher AFQT. Someone has said I'd probably be alright. I've also looked into the GED Plus Program, anyone have any input/experience regarding that?

2. If they don't take me because of the GED, am I permanently disqualified or can I apply later with 15+ college credits? Better to ask the Recruiter this?

3. Is there any sort of translation between ASVAB practice test scores and the real ASVAB test scores(I.E. 80% correct on practice translates to ~80 on the ASVAB)? I know the real test uses points and compares that against a list of 6,000(?) 'norms' and my score is the percent of which I was equal to or beat the norms. From what I've read there's not much of a relation.

4. Is receiving a passing(90+) CO line score usually hard?

5. I want to become a 19D Cavalry Scout, I have read the descriptions and information about them and feel that fits me. Are there usually specific requirements or restrictions on becoming a 19D that aren't listed on the MOS's description page?

6. If I'm accepted as a 19D, which advanced schools would be available? I'm not obsessed with entering Ranger or Airborne schools(admittedly they sound fun and challenging though), I just want to know what my possibilities would be. I'm aware there's only limited room for each state to send soldiers to these schools. A Hero on Call Operator said Sniper and Airbourne & Air Assault were the only ones.

7. 19Ds go to OSUT for 16 weeks(right?). Do I get to call home once every couple of weeks assuming me or my unit doesn't goof off? I do not currently have a cell phone but am thinking about getting one after OSUT.

8. OSUT is tough and challenging, I know because I've read and watched videos about it. I expect it to be harder than I've seen so far though. It does look fun and I actually look forward to most of it (except the gas chamber). Anything about OSUT specifically I should know?

9. I've starting working out and am planning to be between the 60 and 90 range(shooting for the 90s) on the APFT standards charts for Sit-ups, Push-ups, and the 2 mile run before I ship. I hear OSUT is easier if you're already in decent shape. Is this a good goal and/or any tips/advice on it?

10. As for Educational benefits, do I have to setup the GI Bill and the other benefits before I sign my contract or can it be done after? I've read in a few places that it needs to be in the contract before the pen touches the dotted line.

11. As for using the GI Bill and the other benefits, do I have to have a school and/or course already picked out beforehand or can I choose it during?

12. How do NG MOSs affect our work during a natural disaster? In ya'lls' experience do Cavalry Scouts tend to have a specific duty in the aftermath of another Katrina or are all NGs just hands in this case?

13. When activated as a 19D in the Middle East are they always in the field(their nature would suggest they would be)? How often and for how long do they return to a base? I ask this because it would be nice (though I know not always possible) to call my family once a month. One thing I read said they were able to call home fairly regularly.

14. Do NG qualify for Availability flights? I hear they can be a pain though. Hero on Call said NG do qualify for Space A Flights. Any personal experiences about these?

Thank you in advance and I apologize for the long post.

Re: Joining the National Guard, OSUT, Being a 19D, other questions

You ask some fairly detailed questions. I'll put as much to it as I can, and hopefully it'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Originally posted by JasonLeBlanc View Post
    Questions:
    1. Regarding the GED, is it imperative that I get 15 college credits so that the military see's me as just as smart as HS graduates? I know the Army allows the most GED holders to join, though it still requires them to receive a 50 or higher AFQT. Someone has said I'd probably be alright. I've also looked into the GED Plus Program, anyone have any input/experience regarding that?
    This one's going to be best answered by a recruiter. Georgia, according to the last set of Levers I have for the state, will accept a percentage of GED Enlistments. However, where they are in that percentage is unknown to me at this time. the 50 AFQT is prefered, and if you fall below that, your chance of enlistment drops significantly. If you add the 15 college credits, you're going to be looking at a straight enlistment, and it's much easier for the recruiter to process.

As for GED Plus, since you already have your GED, the door is closed on that one. Just the nature of the beast.
    2. If they don't take me because of the GED, am I permanently disqualified or can I apply later with 15+ college credits? Better to ask the Recruiter this?
    You can re-apply. The only thing that's permanently disqualifying once you start the process is the background check and the urinalysis. So, don't do crimes or drugs between now and when you enlist, and you're good.
    3. Is there any sort of translation between ASVAB practice test scores and the real ASVAB test scores(I.E. 80% correct on practice translates to ~80 on the ASVAB)? I know the real test uses points and compares that against a list of 6,000(?) 'norms' and my score is the percent of which I was equal to or beat the norms. From what I've read there's not much of a relation.
    Not that I've seen. Granted, my scope is very limited. I could speculate on the reason for the practice versus the real thing, but I'm not going to.
    4. Is receiving a passing(90+) CO line score usually hard?
    It depends on the person. For me? No. For most? Probably not. For you? I don't know.
    5. I want to become a 19D Cavalry Scout, I have read the descriptions and information about them and feel that fits me. Are there usually specific requirements or restrictions on becoming a 19D that aren't listed on the MOS's description page?
    Hmm... I'm a 74D, and since they both end with a "D", that means they're similar, right? Okay, no. Not really. I don't have any experience with the 19 series. Sorry.
    6. If I'm accepted as a 19D, which advanced schools would be available? I'm not obsessed with entering Ranger or Airborne schools(admittedly they sound fun and challenging though), I just want to know what my possibilities would be. I'm aware there's only limited room for each state to send soldiers to these schools. A Hero on Call Operator said Sniper and Airbourne & Air Assault were the only ones.
    Mostly, it's going to depend on what your unit has money for. I understand that you may also be able to go through Pathfinder school, but perhaps some of the 19D's might be able to get you a more comprehensive list.

7. 19Ds go to OSUT for 16 weeks(right?). Do I get to call home once every couple of weeks assuming me or my unit doesn't goof off? I do not currently have a cell phone but am thinking about getting one after OSUT.
    The only scout I know was able to talk to his family every week. But then, that's personal experience and not regulation, so your miliage may vary.

8. OSUT is tough and challenging, I know because I've read and watched videos about it. I expect it to be harder than I've seen so far though. It does look fun and I actually look forward to most of it (except the gas chamber). Anything about OSUT specifically I should know?
    The gas chamber is a lot more fun than a lot of people give it credit for. Just remain calm in there, and you'll do fine.

9. I've starting working out and am planning to be between the 60 and 90 range(shooting for the 90s) on the APFT standards charts for Sit-ups, Push-ups, and the 2 mile run before I ship. I hear OSUT is easier if you're already in decent shape. Is this a good goal and/or any tips/advice on it?
    Wanna get better at push ups? Do push ups. Want to get better at sit ups? Do sit ups. Want to get better at running? Go running. Start slow, and work your way up, but push yourself. There's a bunch of tips at www.nationalguard.com/life/fitness

10. As for Educational benefits, do I have to setup the GI Bill and the other benefits before I sign my contract or can it be done after? I've read in a few places that it needs to be in the contract before the pen touches the dotted line.
    For setting it up, yes. However, for the most part, as long as it's stated in your contract that you get the GI bill, then you can set it up once you get back.

11. As for using the GI Bill and the other benefits, do I have to have a school and/or course already picked out beforehand or can I choose it during?
    You get it once you're registered at the school of your choice. Make sure they've got a Veteran's Office somewhere and campus and sit down with them.
    12. How do NG MOSs affect our work during a natural disaster? In ya'lls' experience do Cavalry Scouts tend to have a specific duty in the aftermath of another Katrina or are all NGs just hands in this case?

13. When activated as a 19D in the Middle East are they always in the field(their nature would suggest they would be)? How often and for how long do they return to a base? I ask this because it would be nice (though I know not always possible) to call my family once a month. One thing I read said they were able to call home fairly regularly.
    The answer to both of these questions comes down to your orders. If the Guard needs bodies, they activate bodies. Ultimately, your unit's mission will be made clear when you get orders.

14. Do NG qualify for Availability flights? I hear they can be a pain though. Hero on Call said NG do qualify for Space A Flights. Any personal experiences about these?
    No personal experience to speak of. Anyone else?

Comment

I'm a recruiter with the SC Guard and can talk with you if you'd like. 803-667-0468. Not going to try to feed you any ****, but let you know what your options are if you want. Look forward to talking with you.

Comment

I'll take question #14:

Space Avalible Flights are arguably the most under-used benefit in the Guard. As an actively drilling reservist you qualify unaccompanied for flights within the Continental United States. Each Air/Navy base has a base operations number that you can typically call to find out information on specific flights. The trick with space A in my experience is this, 1. Have a backup plan. If you've been in the military any length of time you'll soon find out that everything is subject to change. These are primarily training/mission flights...they are NOT on your time schedule. People can and do get inadvertantly stranded. 2. Be flexible. Military flights aren't like the airlines. The few times I've flown, I went with an aircrew that was sent on a several day mission to somewhere that I just thought it might be fun to check out. I few there and back with them. Some retirees are space A experts though, and I went to Iraq with a older soldier who told me tales about getting to know certain flight crews and they would make sure to drop him off at an airport they weren't going to, and pick him up on their way back....but it could be folklore.

Comment

Working...
        X