X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Option

I'm posting to seek advice on options for enlistment. I've applied for service, but denied medically for a non waiverable condition. I believe my only option is to write my congressman. Am I correct?

As a graduate degree seeking student, triathlete, and culturally aware person I believe I have a combination of characteristics making me a strong candidate for SF enlistment.

Thanks for any help or direction.

Re: Final Option

Originally posted by FloridaJohn View Post
    As a graduate degree seeking student, triathlete, and culturally aware person I believe I have a combination of characteristics making me a strong candidate for SF enlistment.
    "but denied medically for a non waiverable condition" <- Except for that. What would you expect your congressman to do? Honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
      "but denied medically for a non waiverable condition" <- Except for that. What would you expect your congressman to do? Honestly.
      SteveLord is correct +1 A Congressman is not going to change the fact that you have a non waiverable medical condition.

Comment

Given that line. You've a better chance of becoming a congressman yourself than enlisting currently.

Comment

This is the reason I am writing looking for input and direction. I have searched and asked anyone willing to listen and many suggest writing my congressman as an option.

The doctors consulted and the medical science read support my surgery not be life altering or debilitating. I experienced a partially herniated disk from a single severe impact while playing rugby. My situation is similar to a fracture the bone actually grows back stronger at the point of the break.

Many professional football players experience the same injury and come back stronger than before.

I would appreciate any direction that simply isn't a closed door. However, if it is a closed door I must attempt to crack and I receive no other direction from my posting here than I will try to find that opening by consulting my representative. If this doesn't work than so be it, but I'll know I exhausted the options.

Thanks for the support.

Comment

The only thing your congressman cares about is whether the service upheld law and regulation. I dealt with several congressional inquiries over the years, and as long as we could demonstrate that we followed proper procedure without discrimination or something illegal, they were satisfied.

Comment

During my searching, I read the DoDI 6130.03 from here:

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/613003p.pdf

g. Current herniated nucleus pulposus (722) or history of surgery to correct (CPT 63001- 63200). A surgically corrected asymptomatic single-level lumbar or thoracic diskectomy with full resumption of unrestricted activity DOES meet the standard.

Again my impact was from a single incident, so asymptomatic. Is only from a single level and doctors cleared me for "full resumption of unrestricted activity." Maybe I am still misreading this...

However, I'm unable to determine if I was denied as a result of recruiter error while reading this section of DoDI 6130.03 or maybe the DoD directive was updated. I never received a denial letter from MEPS, which appears to be part of the process.

Would contacting USMEPCOM directly?

Thank you for post regarding congressional interest only applying to following of proper legal procedure. During my time working for a member of parliament in the UK, the application of constituent complaints followed the same process, usually with only a placating response.

Comment

Was it a discectomy?

"They can be qualified if this surgery in on one disc level only with a successful result. Any other the other types of disc surgical procedures is disqualifying."

"can be" being the key words

Google searched it and found it under DODIAnnotations.wikispaces. Couldn't find it on dtic.mil.

Good luck.
                Last edited by Mike.; September 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

The link was not complete for the DoD 6130.03. The link is a .pdf file, but a quick download. Here it is again.

The part I am referencing is under "Spine and Sacroiliac Joints"on page 30; letter g.

Comment

Guess my last post didn't go through.

The last link was not complete. Here is the full link.

The section I am referring to is under "Spine and Sacroiliac Joints" on page 30; section G.

Here is it copied:

g. Current herniated nucleus pulposus (722) or history of surgery to correct (CPT 63001- 63200). A surgically corrected asymptomatic single-level lumbar or thoracic diskectomy with full resumption of unrestricted activity DOES meet the standard.

For Mike a - Diskectomy is the surgical removal of the damaged portion of a herniated disk in your spine.

Just looking for a second opinion on the comprehension.

Would my option be to contact USMEPCOM directly accompanied by a statement of my ability to return to full unrestricted activity orthopedic surgeon recommendation?

Do the branches of the military differ on requirements?

Comment

The best way to determine if you can pass the medical screening is to process with MEPS. No matter what, your surgery will require a medical waiver and the other hurdle is, that Florida is not authorizing any medical waivers at this time.

DoDI 6130.03: Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military Services applies to all branches of service.

Comment

I've submitted two new postings, but unsure why they are not showing.

Comment

I'm posting to seek advice on options for enlistment. I've applied for service, but denied medically for a non waiverable condition. I believe my only option is to write my congressman. Am I correct?

Thanks for any help or direction.
                          While your desire for sevice is honorable, please take the advice you have been given. If Recruiter and MEPS have told you that you are permanent DQ...there isn't a single thing you are going to do to change it. Numbers are so tight right now some people with ZERO issues can even get in. It seems like you have things going for you in life, focus on something that will get you somewhere, because this will not. The realistic nature is that 2/3 of all candidates wanting to enlist are not qualified for something that is outside of your control. This, is outside of your control.

MEPCOM is going to tell you to talk to a recruiter, and your congressmen is going to simply ask the service in a formal setting where the service is going to say "yes he is DQ" and your congressman is going to relay you that message on a fancy piece of paper with cool looking letterhead at the top....that is all.
                          Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; September 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X