X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to start talking with recruiter?

It looks like Im about a year off from trying to join, around the first of 2013. After discussing things over with my wife this looks like the best time period. When should I start talking to a recruiter to see if this is right for me or not and when to start going through the necessary steps. Thanks

Re: When to start talking with recruiter?

Just a heads up, I started talking to a recruiter around May, and am just now getting ready to begin training. So I have been inbetween for 4-5 months. It is different for everyone, so don't expect to just sign up and ship out.

Also, keep in mind the beggining of the Federal Fiscal year is the best time to look for spots, as the guard only has a limited amount, so if you have your heart set on a particular MOS, get the ball rolling ASAP.

Good luck brother.

Comment

i would say asap like the guy above me said it does take some time so the soon the better

Comment

The time allowed in the program has changed and i'm unaware of it now, last time I posted this I was corrected on the change and dont remember it. Someone will chime in with that but anyways... You can enlist into a kinda like delayed program, its called Recruit Sustainment Program (RSP). You basically learn Soldier skills one weekend a month until you leave for your initial training (IT). With the right attitude it can do some good for a person. They are all lead a bit differently location to location but have the same goals. I personally, enlisted and decided to be in RSP for 11 months prior to leaving for IT. I dont believe you can wait that long and some places you now can only attend the last six month before leaving, but you can still be enlisted for a time period, just not getting those one weeken/month skills/pay checks/other benefits until going to RSP. Its a thought. I used it to learn as much as possible before getting there since I felt pretty set in my ways. Everyone has their own reasoning. I'd start now, Recruiters are also made aware of changes like age, medical, legal, that might make it in your best interest to enlist before they come into effect. They catch some off guard at times and it was a matter of getting in or not just because they waited a day too long. "About a year out" - I dont think it would be wasting any ones time at this point.

Comment

RSP or Recruit Sustainment Program is not a delayed entry program . it is a program for people who have enlisted and are just waiting to ship out to basic..

now if i am not mistaken the guard has a program call delayed entry program but i think it is only open to high school students i am not 100% sure but rsp is not a delayed entry program

if you want more info on rsp you can send RSPnco a pm he run's a rsp program some where up north

http://www.nationalguard.com/careers...nt-program-rsp

this a link to a page that tells you all about rsp
          Last edited by brandon121791; September 9th, 2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Start now man. There is no telling what type of paperwork you'll end up having to do. Unless you *know* you are perfect medically, criminally, creditly, etc you may end up having something that will have to be addressed.

Comment

The faster you get the ball rolling, the faster the process will go.

Comment

Working...
              X