X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• afa davit question BAH allowance

I have two kids with my girlfriend, I'm joining the gaurd. My recuiter says it won't be a issue to join. I'll have to do a family care plan and do two afa davit for my kids. My question is while I'm gone to BCT and AIT would I get BAH dependent allowance since she will take care of my kids while I'm away? She will handle my finances, medical and education for my kids while I'm gone. I want to make sure I will dependent BAH to support my kids.

Re: afa davit question BAH allowance

Do you have legal custody of the children or pay child support? Unfortunately, in the military the mother is assumed the primary guardian of the children and the father is forced to show that he actually has custody of the children to receive dependent BAH.

Comment

I signed both birth certificate for my kids when they were born. So I have custody as well as she does.

Comment

Signing the birth certificate doesn't mean custody. I'm not trying to sharp shoot you on this, I'm just bringing this up because I've had soldiers run into this issue. The training location often wants proof of custody when it's a single dad situation.

Comment

Working...
        X