Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about becoming a Civil Affairs/Jag/Medical Officer in VA

Hello,

I very much would like to join the NG in VA as an officer, because I always wanted to serve and do something different than my day job. During my extensive research in joining it seems I have come to a road block. From what I can tell to join as an officer in a job you want there needs to be a need, but I can't find a place to find out where the needs are. (There is a place to find out where enlisted needs are, I found that ok)
    Where or who do I need to talk to if I want to find out what are current open officer positions in VA in the following areas?

Top Choice: Civil Affairs
    2: JAG
    3: Medical
    4: Chaplain

About me:
    • Have Masters in Engineering & Business
    • 25y.o. Female
    • 2x national champion in a college sport
    • Have a great paying day job who will pay the salary difference when/if I deploy (but not initial training)
    • Received three congressional recommendations to the military academies in HS, but ended up not going due to a last minute injury (That obviously was repaired ok... *cough...adjusts championship ring*)
    • I live outside of DC

Re: Question about becoming a Civil Affairs/Jag/Medical Officer in VA

I think for 2 to 4 for those direct commision requires that you have your education in that field (e.g. JAG - law degree and passed the state's Bar, etc) but as stated numerous times, you need to call the state's officer strength manager (OSM).

I have too many rings to adjust.

Comment

Wellthis is pretty simple, regardless of need...you are not able to become a JAG officer without a law degree; other then maybe healthcare administration you are not joining the medical corps without some type of medical degree; and without a degree in theology (or relevant religious training making you eligible someway you will not be serving as a chaplain. Sounless you are planning on going back to school, I would find the nearest recruiter and see if your state has a civil affairs unit.

Comment

Contact Major Bryan HAMILTON, (804) 743-2240, bryan.s.hamilton@us.army.mil. He will provide you several realistic options for service.

Comment

Working...
        X