X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age restriction

Does a 40 yr old Certified truck driver qualify as a specialized professional skill?

Re: Age restriction

As of April1, 2011 the age limit was lowered to 35 years old (unless you're prior service).

Comment

minimum requirement of 35* or prior service or specialized skill. Where do I find list of "specialized skills" that qualify? Limited to medical, lawyers, and chaplains?
      Last edited by Stephen8; July 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen8 View Post
        minimum requirement of 35* or prior service or specialized skill. Where do I find list of "specialized skills" that qualify? Limited to medical, lawyers, and chaplains?
        Correct, those specialized skills usually are appointed by direct commission not by regular enlistment that warrants an age waiver (unless it is for linguist). Your expertise should fall under 88M and there is no direct commission for that field. Sometimes there are military personnel messages that look for a specific technical MOS that posseses "specialized skills" that may warrant an enlisted member a direct commission but those positions are sought and filled from within than outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRN3veUMAT4 <--88M
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM. Reason: forgot to add a pertinent remark

Comment

I have a question about age restriction as well. I am currently 34; would I need to only swear in or actually ship to basic before I turn 35? I had previously been told by a recruiter, that I only needed to swear in before 35. Now I am being told that I would need to ship before turning 35. Has the policy recently changed, or could there be another reason for the sudden rush?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

The regulation currently states "... must take the oath of enlistment before their 35th birthday." So as long as you swear in before you turn another year older, you will be fine.

Originally posted by Jpsmg27 View Post
            I have a question about age restriction as well. I am currently 34; would I need to only swear in or actually ship to basic before I turn 35? I had previously been told by a recruiter, that I only needed to swear in before 35. Now I am being told that I would need to ship before turning 35. Has the policy recently changed, or could there be another reason for the sudden rush?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

SSG_Wilson, Thank you for the reply.

Comment

Working...
              X