X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I eligible?

A few years ago I went through the process of joining the army. One of the first things I told my recruiter was that I used to smoke marijuana but had not for a month. I was taking home UAs and passing them before I even went to their office. I told them that I wanted to wait another month just to be sure it was out of my system. After I took one of their UAs they told me it was "clean enough", that almost everyone that they had recruited had the same problem. They convinced me to go to MEPS the following week and then a week after that I got a letter saying I failed the more extensive UA that they do and that I could go to rehab and try again. I called my recruiters and told them the situation, they laughed and said I was playing an April fools joke. I was pissed off for a while and never went back to them. I've always wanted to join the military and I do not blame them for sending me too soon, I understand their position and take full responsibility for my past. I scored 77 on the ASVAB and still do not smoke marijuana. Is there any way I could join? Would college credits help? Could I still go to rehab even though I don't smoke anymore? Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Am I eligible?

Sooooo...you are trying to tell me that you had waited 30 days since you smoked pot, and still failed the urinalysis? Color me skeptical.

Comment

Originally posted by Jols View Post
      Is there any way I could join?
      Only way to find out, walk in to a recruiter's office.

Comment

right now, there is no way for you to join.

Comment

Originally posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
          you had waited 30 days since you smoked pot, and still failed the urinalysis?
          This is classic... of course he failed after 30 days... there is no date delimiter for when your system is cleaned out... well maybe after a year or more... What people fail to realize is that thier bodies store all the stuff they are taking, and that it just does not pass on its own very quickly, nor do any of the detox drinks or vitamin supplements do anything to speed this process along. Body composition has a lot to do with it, as so much can be stored in fat and other cells in the system, ususlly things pss in thier normal timeframe which can be days, weeks, or months depending on which system the cells reside, such as fat cells for example.

Why would the poster need to go to rehab? if it has been so long that any form of illegal drug has been taken, then the system should be clean (all things considered), so unless the poster wants to go on his/her own to rehab - hey whatever makes you happy - if however you have a criminal record in regards to drug use or posseson then rehab may have been part of the court ordered restitution... Who knows...

If you went to MEPS and failed a UA, then you are done... if you went to MEPS and did not fail a UA, and did not contract into an MOS, then something is "fishy"; unless your voluntary disclosure to any questions about prior or current drug use counted against you in the recruiting process and you were disqualified based on that. If the recruiters handled this in the way that you say, then that is simply wrong, and should not have happened.
          Last edited by LRSU_Dog; June 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Everything I posted is true. I passed the UA at the office and then was sent to MEPS where I went through the entire process and contracted 19D. I have no criminal record. Sounds like I'm screwed for now atleast. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Wait... you actually contracted into an MOS... Are you saying you swore in before leaving MEPS? Did/have you contacted the unit you joined??? Wow if this is the case you were in the ARNG and then probobly processed out for not showing up to any drills...

You need to contact someone in your states ARNG - and I am not talking recruiters... Sounds like a complete mess... sounds like it could /should have been handled better by all involved... You could be permanently disqualified from ARNG service because you never showed up at your unit and never drilled, due to being mad at some recruiters, and was processed out of the ARNG

Wow... this is like difficult to believe that this would happen... and yet here it is...

Comment

Yes I swore in. No I never contacted any unit nor was I made aware that I could or should. Drills? I thought the next step was shipping to basic. I was trying to join the Army at the time not ARNG.

Comment

I'm utterly confused.

Comment

Wow.. contracted into the Active component Army, and did not.... well do anything after that - and appearantly a recruiter did not care to follow-up with you on anything...

You should check your paperwork from when you were at MEPS an see what it actually said... then perhaps take that and follow up with another recruiter to get the story straight and the MEPS issues historical stuff figured out...

Comment

Thanks LRSU_Dog. I'll see if I can find it. Do you think I should go back to the same recruiting station? There are two more in my city.

Comment

If you have more than one recruiting station, why not ask a second opinion... just ensure that you always let everyone know who you have talked to and worked with in the past - that way no duplicate efforts, no hard feelings, and no BS.

Comment

Working...
                        X