Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age requirement changed last month?

Hello,

I understand the maximum age limit changed back down to 35 recently. I was very close to joining and am older than that. My question is, does the age requirement change often both up and down or was this recently just a unique time?
    I am 39 years of age, in great shape and 6 classes away from my masters degree. My plan was to enlist, go to initial basic training, then apply for traditional Guard OCS. However, I am non-prior so if I understand it correctly I can not get a waiver for the age requirement, and the age recently changed back to 35.

Any guidance would be appreciated - thank you

Re: Age requirement changed last month?

You are correct. The National Guard is not giving age waivers for Non-Prior service.

This is the current Army enlistment eligibility requirement as of April 1, 2011:
    Be between the ages of 17 and 35* (unless you have prior U.S. military service, or a specialized professional skill, such as a chaplain, lawyer or certain medical specialties)

Policy is always subject to change for the needs of the Army National Guard.

Comment

Re: Age requirement changed last month?

Originally posted by RenDM View Post
      Hello,

I understand the maximum age limit changed back down to 35 recently. I was very close to joining and am older than that. My question is, does the age requirement change often both up and down or was this recently just a unique time?
      I am 39 years of age, in great shape and 6 classes away from my masters degree. My plan was to enlist, go to initial basic training, then apply for traditional Guard OCS. However, I am non-prior so if I understand it correctly I can not get a waiver for the age requirement, and the age recently changed back to 35.

Any guidance would be appreciated - thank you
      42 was the highest age that it was increased to and it happened because the Army needed to increase their recruiting numbers fast. Since that was a congressional approval; that maximum age can always be used by the Army but since there will be major cuts that will happen from here to 2014; I highly doubt that increase will ever happen again. Not in this decade unless another major conflict happens.

Comment

Working...
      X