X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Active First" program, is it still available

Hello, I would like to do the active first program, is it still available? The NG webpage says it has been suspended, but sometimes web pages have old info. If it is suspended anyone have any ideas when it will be online again? Thanks

Re: "Active First" program, is it still available

Nope. It was a program to boost recruiting numbers, especially in critical MOS areas. It's success, and mostly combined with the tanking of the economy...has put the military overstrength. My guess is you won't see it for a good while.

Comment

So, what if I joined the Army on my own, doing three years active, could I then transfer to the NG for the remaining five, instead of going army reserve. The education benefits in the NG are much better than the army reserve, but I want some active duty time.

Comment

Originally posted by jtom View Post
        So, what if I joined the Army on my own, doing three years active, could I then transfer to the NG for the remaining five, instead of going army reserve. The education benefits in the NG are much better than the army reserve, but I want some active duty time.
        Speak to an AD recruiter. But to get only three years for active duty, will be to enlist in certain MOSes; mainly combat arms. Most MOSes require at least a 4 year commitment. The more technical the MOS is; the longer the active obligation.

Comment

Combat arms is what I am interested in, so thats no problem. I am concerned about the transfer to the NG after the active duty time.

Comment

That is up to you. Once you finish your active obligation; you can transfer to the IRR, NG or AR until you complete your 8-year obligation. Obviously, you can go longer. We have soldiers ETSing here and they meet with the reserve components to get information if they want to transfer. Yes, there are Army Reserve units in Germany.

When it is your time to ACAP; you will be briefed on your options.

Comment

Working...
            X