X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do?

I am currently a junior and will be a senior next year in high school. I want to be in the military and go to college at the same time (going to get a degree in electrical engineering). I know their is the Army ROTC which is mostly likely the program I will do but their is the SMP (Simultaneous Membership Program). I don't know too much about either program. Has anyone ever done these twos programs and what did you think of that program? What are the pros and cons to both of them? I'm confused on which one I want to do.

Thanks for the help.

Re: What should I do?

The SMP is when you are in both the Army National Guard and ROTC at the same time. You can do ROTC independent of the SMP if you are not enlisted in the National Guard. You can do the National Guard without being in ROTC, but to be in SMP, you must be doing both. The pro's are that you make quite a bit of money by doing SMP, the con's are that you are serving in the military while you are in college, and generally have to attend PT several days a week, conform to the regulations of the military, and put your service obligation in front of your social life. If you have no problem doing these things, then ROTC with SMP may be right up your alley. If you have goals of parties, drinking, constant social outings, and are not willing to give up one weekend a month and portions of your summer while in college, then this program may not be best suited to you. If you want to read more about the financial incentives, you can check out this thread;
    http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/showthread.php/14411-Financial-Incentives-and-Service-Obligations

Comment

Re: What should I do?

Originally posted by SSG_Wilson View Post
      The SMP is when you are in both the Army National Guard and ROTC at the same time. You can do ROTC independent of the SMP if you are not enlisted in the National Guard. You can do the National Guard without being in ROTC, but to be in SMP, you must be doing both. The pro's are that you make quite a bit of money by doing SMP, the con's are that you are serving in the military while you are in college, and generally have to attend PT several days a week, conform to the regulations of the military, and put your service obligation in front of your social life. If you have no problem doing these things, then ROTC with SMP may be right up your alley. If you have goals of parties, drinking, constant social outings, and are not willing to give up one weekend a month and portions of your summer while in college, then this program may not be best suited to you. If you want to read more about the financial incentives, you can check out this thread;
      http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/showthread.php/14411-Financial-Incentives-and-Service-Obligations
      Good post. Thats a great simple breakdown of SMP.

Comment

Working...
      X