X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about my height and weight

I am looking to join the guards. I'm 29 years old. I'm 6'1 250lbs with about 23% body fat. I work out 6 days a week. I can do 80 push up's in 2 mins. I can run two miles in about 20 mins and not sure about my sit ups. But I'd think I am pretty close to being able to met the required numbers to join. My concern is my weight.. Will they still let me in even though I am concerned "overweight on the worthless BMI scale?

Re: Worried about my height and weight

Try this out http://www.nationalguard.com/life/fi...ss-calculators

Comment

They don't care about your BMI and it really doesn't matter what your height and weight is as long as your Body Fat percentage is within standards. The Army will measure around your belly and your neck to determine your body fat percentage. Use the APFT calculator at the following link to determine if you meet the standards, it's that simple.
      http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...r-online.shtml

My suggestion is to do more running. You will lose a lot more weight and improve your run time. If you are working out 6 days a week with those stats, you are doing too many high weight-low rep exercises. Do more cardo and cross fit type workouts, nobody cares how much you can bench. 2 miles in 20 minutes needs improvement, everyone will smoke you!

Comment

you have to be able to pass the tape test. I know its annoying the way the army does it with body fat and everything, but those are the regs. Once you pass the tape test and go away to basic training, your body fat will naturally go down with the way you train and work out at Basic and AIT

Comment

Thanks for the link Mase. It says my allowed BF is 28%. Which I am well under. But my weight is well above the max. My push up's and sit ups are pass able. My running time needs to be trimmed a little. So I don't see where I shuld have problems..

And to the comment about doing more cardio. I actually do a lot of cardio. I do a P90X and Insanity hybrid. Which offers a great mix of the two. I have good stamina and great speed. I just tire out around the first mile. I need to learn and pace myself I guess.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by spitfirex007 View Post
            And to the comment about doing more cardio. I actually do a lot of cardio. I do a P90X and Insanity hybrid. Which offers a great mix of the two. I have good stamina and great speed. I just tire out around the first mile.
            "Good stamina" and "tire out around the first mile" do not compute. If you tire after running 1 mile, your stamina is under par.

I agree with Mike2K about focusing on more cardio and especially running to help trim down your weight. Folks seem to be able to taper up their number of push-ups and sit-ups without much effort, but for folks who can't run, improvement takes a lot longer if they want to do it without injury. Suggest starting now.

Comment

I agree.....running will help you drop weight, especially the more you are able to do it. BUT work up to it to avoid injury.

When I started working towards my fitness goals, a year and a half ago, in order to enlist, I couldn't run a quarter mile, but I have worked at it and now run 6 miles every other day and dropped 40 pounds.

Unfortunately, there is no lasting 'quick fix' for dropping weight, it will take some time, but you'll get there!

Safety first! You'll delay reaching your goals if you hurt yourself.

As for the title of this thread....I don't know if there is anything you can do about your height, it is what it is....so I wouldn't worry about that one

Comment

Hello 007!!you are doing work on right plane but i think its not much successful for you because i think your weight is more to the requirement..i will suggest to you the simpl way to reduce the weight..drink more and more water and avoid ioly foods which is i think the best to add the plane..after a few days you may measured the body weight by BMI scale i hope your weight is reduce..BMI scale is the best opition to all the other scale for the measure of weight...

Last edited by Mlko222; November 19th, 2013, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X