X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So.. Why Do I need Secret Clearence?

So...... My recruiter gives me this huge packet to fill out, asking all these questions about National security. Needing to fill out references, who they are, current addresses, first/middle/last names, phone numbers, can't use the same person twice on this 30 page packet..

I was a 95 Bavo back in 02, this is equiv. to a 31 Bravo now (Military Police). However since I've been out so long, I will have to reclass anyway, meaning BCT/AIT and I will have to choose a new MOS. So... Why Do I need Secret Clearence?

Thanks!

Re: So.. Why Do I need Secret Clearence?

A SECRET is required for the 31B MOS. It's a requirement for that MOS, just like AIT completion. If you lose your clearance, you'd need to reclass. If you don't want to bother with a clearance, your recruiter can direct you to an MOS that doesn't require one (which is most of them).

Comment

Because you probably will be handling sensitive information that could put people's lives at risk!

The guy filling the trucks up with gas or fixing the truck probably doesn't have access or need that type of information.

Comment

Ok so If I say to my recruiter I want a new MOS I won't have to do the secret clearence? Not that I've done anything since me being out, I just want to get the ball rolling. I'm fine with re-classing and going back into basic, I hear its a walk in the park now days to what It used to be. But ok I'll talk to my recruiter and see how things go.

Looking at 19D for my MOS. We will have to see how eveything goes though

Comment

Why not just fill out the packet and get a good MOS? I filled it out and its not like it killed me or anything. take 35-40 mins and do it. isnt it worth it?

Comment

LOL....if you want to enlist you have to fill out the SF86......there are no other options.

Comment

You should just fill it out, besides I think it can be done online now anyway. Not sure about that. But listen a clearance is always a good thing to have on your resume.

Comment

i ws going to go 31B but ended up having to choose another MOS. But I had to do that packet too and I ended up getting a security clearance. Not that I'll use it though...

Comment

Why all this moaning, crying and whining about getting a clearance... OMG... Is it that you are afraid of paperwork... then you have another thing coming by being in the military; if you are being required, or it is requested that you apply for a clearance - either someone thinks you need one, or someone wants to have the paperwork on file for future reference. Applying for a clearance does not mean you will automatically get one "just because"...

If you have been allowed to apply for, and then receive a clearance that is a position of trust, and will allow you to do several things:

First and foremost, to assist your unit in its Operational Readiness, support certain unit functions, and basically do your job (especially those job functions that you may not be aware of yet...);

Second, allow you mobility in your military career as opportunities arise - especially those that you do not see at this time, but a few years down the road might be something you want to pursue;

And, third, allow you to pursue opportunities in the civilian sector that can only be offered to those with a clearance. (see: clearancejobs, usajobs, or any other job site that allows a search by security clearance status.)

If you get a clearance, and are never in a position either by MOS, or by rank (yes at certain grades of E, WO, and O a minimum Secret is required at that rank), that either requires you to hold a clearance or be in a position (temporary or otherwise) then one day it will expire. However, ensure that you never abuse the privilege of holding any level of clearance, it will haunt you if you lose one for any reason (other than normal expiration under normal circumstances)...

As well, you can refuse to apply for a clearance (and see where that gets you), in which case you will most likely not be allowed in any position in the military that requires one. And, as not every MOS or unit job position requires a clearance - then those jobs would be open to you. Talk to your recruiter about this, talk to your future unit about this if you can...
                  Last edited by LRSU_Dog; May 10th, 2011, 03:32 AM.

Comment

^---- Yes x100

And here is my 2 cents.... "Because the Army said so."

Comment

Working...
                    X