Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age Waiver Possible?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Age Waiver Possible?

    I read the bit about the new max age but am interested in knowing if it is impossible to get an age waiver.

    I will be 39 in October and have my BA and JD. A friend of mine is a good friend of a LTC in the Guard in my state and stated that he would be willing to get me in touch with him to see if he would help out with a waiver.

    My question is whether a waiver is impossible regardless of who I get involved simply because I will be 39 or whether waivers can be obtained even if the age max is exceeded.

    I am not sure if it matters, but I am looking to go the OCS route and do the traditional method of the Guard. (Is there more flexibility for age waivers for OCS?)

    Finally, has the max age changed for JAG? I cannot find any information on this.

    I have wanted to serve for a while, but could not for several reasons. I know it is a poor excuse but I am hoping to serve as it has been a life long goal.

    I appreciate any candid responses as I know this group is very knowledgeable.

  • #2
    Re: Age Waiver Possible?

    For a person coming into the military that never served, an age waiver does not apply. Active-duty prior service can take that amount of years service and reduced the age requirement (e.g. 37 year old with 4 years active duty is considered 33 years old). Once in, a person can put an age waiver/exception to policy for officer candidate school/warrant officer candidate school but there is no guarantee it will be approved.

    Connections have no bearing on enlistment policies and perhaps a direct commission might be age waiverable but I do not know that for sure.

    I believe the Army and its components have dropped the enlistment age to 35.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Age Waiver Possible?

      Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      Once in, a person can put an age waiver/exception to policy for officer candidate school/warrant officer candidate school but there is no guarantee it will be approved.
      Hmm...I'll keep my fingers crossed then because I will be submitting an age waiver with my OCS packet when I return from BCT.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Age Waiver Possible?

        Originally posted by a224932 View Post
        Finally, has the max age changed for JAG? I cannot find any information on this.
        JAGs need to commission by 42nd birthday (unless you have prior service, then see fmcityslicker's example above).

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Age Waiver Possible?

          Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
          Hmm...I'll keep my fingers crossed then because I will be submitting an age waiver with my OCS packet when I return from BCT.
          If you are already enlisted for O9S, then you should be good to go.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Age Waiver Possible?

            Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            If you are already enlisted for O9S, then you should be good to go.
            Whew! I just got enlisted prior to the age change.....good to know.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Age Waiver Possible?

              I think direct commisions age requirements are different. Which would be where you should fit in....lawyers, nurses, doctors not just a BA or BS. They are a more specilized skill so I think the commisioned before age 42 applies and you do not go to boot camp. I do not know all the regs but I wouldn't see why you could get it in due to your age.

              I am not a recruiter though and cannot guarentee my information. It is just what I have gleaned from my own research on this site.
              Last edited by C.Burns; April 8th, 2011, 02:23 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Age Waiver Possible?

                Originally posted by C.Burns View Post
                I think direct commisions age requirements are different. Which would be where you should fit in....lawyers, nurses, doctors not just a BA or BS. They are a more specilized skill so I think the commisioned before age 42 applies and you do not go to boot camp. I do not know all the regs but I wouldn't see why you could get it in due to your age.

                I am not a recruiter though and cannot guarentee my information. It is just what I have gleaned from my own research on this site.
                There have been doctors in the late 40s and 50s who have been DC with the rank MAJ/LTC.

                Comment

                Working...
                X