X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max age to join?

I heard that the max age to join now is 35, is this true?

Re: Max age to join?

Yes. I received the news from my recruiter today. Effective 01 April 2011.

The memo is too large for me to upload but it reads:

"The maximum enlistment age is 35 for qualified personnel (non-prior service and prior service) who enlist into the Regular Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard. Non-prior service personnel enlisting into the Regular Army must enter Active Duty or ship to training on or before their 35th birthday. Non-prior service personnel enlisting into the Army Reserve or Army National Guard must be accessed into their respective components on or before their 35th birthday".

Comment

Well I wonder if this is temporary or permanent?

Comment

I had heard this may be coming months ago which is why I pursued enlistment sooner (just enlisted 20110224 at age 37) rather than after completing my degree. (Some of my family said I was just looking for an 'excuse' to hurry up and enlist now,who were not happy regardless)

My recruiter just told me yeserday that it just actually came down just 2 weeks after my enlistment and that I just made it in under the wire (especially not being prior service). Apparently I will still need an age waiver for my OCS application, but he does not forsee a problem.

My recruiter said this change, for now, is permenant. i.e. if it does end up being temporary, there is no end date stated as of yet.

I consider this quite privilege and consider myself lucky; I will not be squandering the opportunity!

HOOAH!

Comment

Well the age was bumped up to 42 to deal with OIF/OEF increases and still allowed someone to serve 20 years for retirement (55 to 62). That is what is boils down to. I think it will remain at 35 unless another big conflict comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            Well the age was bumped up to 42 to deal with OIF/OEF increases and still allowed someone to serve 20 years for retirement (55 to 62). That is what is boils down to. I think it will remain at 35 unless another big conflict comes up.
            Yup. Overstrength military. I was surprised this didn't happen much sooner TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
              I had heard this may be coming months ago which is why I pursued enlistment sooner (just enlisted 20110224 at age 37) rather than after completing my degree. (Some of my family said I was just looking for an 'excuse' to hurry up and enlist now,who were not happy regardless)

My recruiter just told me yeserday that it just actually came down just 2 weeks after my enlistment and that I just made it in under the wire (especially not being prior service). Apparently I will still need an age waiver for my OCS application, but he does not forsee a problem.

My recruiter said this change, for now, is permenant. i.e. if it does end up being temporary, there is no end date stated as of yet.

I consider this quite privilege and consider myself lucky; I will not be squandering the opportunity!

HOOAH!
              I'd just like to take this time to pat myself on the back since I was one of the ones on here encouraging you to hurry up and join. I'm glad you made the wise choice, instead of kicking yourself now if you weren't able to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                I'd just like to take this time to pat myself on the back since I was one of the ones on here encouraging you to hurry up and join. I'm glad you made the wise choice, instead of kicking yourself now if you weren't able to get in.
                Yes, I was thinking that myself...thank you, thank you! And to everyone who encouraged me to go for it! I look forward to becoming an officer and proudly serving with you all

''The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny''

Comment

I guess I might as well forget about joining then. I am already 35 and will turn 36 in July.

Comment

Originally posted by harleygirl View Post
                    I guess I might as well forget about joining then. I am already 35 and will turn 36 in July.
                    Are you in a position to get to MEPS before the 1st? If so, you should be able to get in before the rules change. I just got down there and signed Wednesday, I'm 35 and turn 36 in August. If you can, make a mad dash to get it done!

Comment

Originally posted by CW001338 View Post
                      Are you in a position to get to MEPS before the 1st? If so, you should be able to get in before the rules change. I just got down there and signed Wednesday, I'm 35 and turn 36 in August. If you can, make a mad dash to get it done!
                      With the right recruiter and a clean medical/legal history....this certainly isn't impossible. Might have to take whatever they give you though.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                        With the right recruiter and a clean medical/legal history....this certainly isn't impossible. Might have to take whatever they give you though.
                        I have a clean medical/legal history. I am concerned however that I don't meet weight requirements. I am currently over by about 15 pounds. I called a recruiter and left a message. It's worth a shot anyways.

Comment

I have a clean medical/legal history. I am concerned however that I don't meet weight requirements. I am currently over by about 15 pounds. I called a recruiter and left a message. It's worth a shot anyways.
                          Don't just leave a message go down there in person right this second and if they won' help you then go right to another one and another until one helps you out. It's all about how bad do you want it!

Comment

If you don't make weight they tape you...if you meet those standards your good to go. Its worth a shot. Don't give up.

Comment

They did this last year and raised it again. Any chance they'll do that again?

Comment

Working...
                              X