X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medical waiver

Im looking into my chances of getting a medical waiver for enlisting. I was set to sign my contract but the day of MEPS denied me. The reason was from Dec. 06 to Sept. 09 i was put on a low dose anti-depressant when my father died. I was told by a ROTC medical officer (when i was applying) that the DoD says that i have to be off of the meds for one entire year. I was also told this by several other recruiters. Why was i then denied and can i get a waiver for it?

Re: medical waiver

Neither your ROTC medical officer nor your recruiters are MEPS medical personnel. It is up to the medical personnel charged with determining your fitness for service to decide if you are eligible. It is not a perfect science sometimes the error on the side of caution to the detriment of the indivdual and the recruiting mission however, the individuals charged with making that decision have the burden of making a very difficult decision. Though sometimes their decisions might be questioned by those it affects, their decisions most likely saves many lives and prevents persons not suited for military serve from joining and putting at risk themselves and others. Even if a waiver for a condition is authorized, it is not a right and there is no quarantee that it will be granted.

Comment

Re: medical waiver

Thank you for the quick reply Sergeant. Do I have the ability to re-try to get a waiver and is there anything i can do on my end to help my situation? When i first applied both the Councilor and Physician at that time wrote that what I went through would not affect a military career. Or getting a clean bill of health also assist me? Or am i not able to get a waiver at all for active Army or National Guard?

Comment

Working...
      X