X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best option

I am currently a 18 year old high school Senior in North Carolina and have a brother already serving in the North Carolina National Guard as well as my father is a SgtMaj in the USMC and my stepmother who is a GySgt in the USMC. My plans are to move to Virginia and attend a Community college and transfer to the Virginia Military Institute and pursue a commission in the United States Marine Corps and join MARSOC. I want to serve my country while attending college but I am a citizen of North Carolina and want to join the Virginia National Guard so that I can receive in state tuition while attending college in Virginia. I also though want to have the MOS of 11B for the reason that I can gain knowledge as well gain experience as a leader before I commission. So my questions are that is it possible for me to join the Virginia National Guard if I am a citizen of North Carolina? Also am I able to have the MOS of 11B while attending college and if so can I do the split option program with the MOS of 11B? And finally am I able to leave the National Guard if I attain the NROTC Scholarship or pursue a commission? Yet my goal is to graduate from the VMI with tuition payed for and become a "butter bar" in the USMC in MARSOC in which I plan to serve my country and fight beside the brave men and woman in uniform who fight for the freedoms and rights that so many have given their live's for so that we are safe. Which I am asking for any advice or answers on which can help me so that I can serve my country and help defend our nation from enemies foreign and domestic.

Thank you for your time

Re: What is the best option

Everything you have described is completely reasonable and possible. The key concern is to ensure that you don't take financial benefits that carry an additional service obligation that will sabotage your long-term plans. Read these posts below for detailed guidance on the money to take and not take.

Service Obligation
    Education Benefits

Comment

Why transfer to VMI, have you applied there yet? Did you get denied?

Comment

Thank you Sir's for both your advice and help and I have already applied and now I am on the waiting list. I didn't apply to any other school because after I went the open house on December 3rd and 4th I realized there was no other school I would ever want to attend to prepare myself the most I possibly can before I become a Marine Corps officer. I am still hoping after having a meeting with one of the professors in charge of admission that a Alumni had helped me set up, that they saw more than a stack of papers but the individual who I am and how much I truly desire to attend VMI. Yet there is no other school I would rather attend other than VMI and I am willing to take the many bumps in the road to attain the chance to attend and demonstrate who I am and what I'm capable of. Hopefully since I still have a chance I will get lucky but I know better leave it up to chance when I can do something in case it falls through but hopefully maybe after having more "paper" for my drive and determination will never fade I will have better luck the second time. Yet If I am able to transfer to the Virginia National Guard will I get to choose my new location or simply request based on necessity for I hope to be stationed close to Lexington so that I can stay focused on my major adjective while serving proudly for my country.

Comment

"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living." -John F. Kennedy

Comment

You should think about the Corps of Cadets at Virginia Tech, it's not your typical ROTC program. LTG Boykin graduated from VPI.

At least go and check it out.

Comment

I haven't visited it but I'm aware that it's one of the top ROTC's in the nation and I highly respect that as well as heard great things about Virginia Tech's ROTC but after visiting VMI I decided from then on that there was no school I wanted to go and I'm trying to do everything I can to achieve so. Yet with my father recently deployed and having no one in my family ever going to college its been difficult especially since I go to a 1A high school but luckily I've made a impression on my teachers and they have gone beyond the measure of helpful. Yet I hoped to give the same impression at the meeting at VMI but I regret to say that I had such luck. However if you do not mind me asking are you a Cadet of Virginia Tech and also a member of the Virginia National Guard?

Comment

Only a Member of the Virginia National Guard. But I Know VT has an awesome high speed program.

You could also go to the Citadel.

In my very narrow and biased opinion, there are really only four options for you: West Point, VMI, Virginia Tech, and the Citadel.

The experience at VT would be good because it's not just a military school.

At the same time it's not the same old ROTC program. It's kind of a mix of the two. You should at least go and visit.

Comment

Working...
                X