X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just turned 40 seriously considering joining the Pa guard any suggestions

Turned 40 at end of Dec 2010 been thinking of Joining since summer of 2010, spoke with recruiter in the fall, since then not heard much from him, he tells me he is waiting on paper work from my brief enlistment in the USMC when I got out of H.S.. since then I have moved around alot and lost my dd214, so I met with him in the fall of 2010 to sign release papers for him to get my info from the corp, it has now been about 4 months so I called him and he says he still has not heard anything from the Marine Corp, does this sound right? does it really take that long ? Since then I have been training and doing PT to get myself up to par with the APFT, just a little more work on the 2 mile run and I got it.

Any info would be great for I'm running out of time and I feel strongly about doing this.

Re: just turned 40 seriously considering joining the Pa guard any suggestions

You could request a copy of your DD 214 through the National Archives. See link.
    http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rvice-records/

Comment

SF Hunter Thanks for the link will do. I failed to mention something in my earlier post, I'm missing half of my index and middle finger on my right hand, I guess becuase sometimes I forget cuase I so used to them not being there, it does not affect anything I do in life I own multiple rifles and have no problem shooting, or grasping anything, the recruiter looked at them and said he thinks he can get me through on a waiver but I recently heard that if you have any missing portion of your index finger that it is a disqualifier, so based on my proposed MOS of motor transport operator, and currently begining to learn arabic does any one think the waiver is possible? the injury happened about ten years ago

Comment

I thought the Guard reduced their age to 35?

Anyway, you need to get that DD214. It says on the document "important document - do not lose". The recruiter needs that. I do not know about your lost digits. I know soldiers that got them while they are in so that is a different story but the recruiter will let you know. You can shoot with your feet but if your hand prohibits you from joining then that is how it is.

Also, learning a demanding language doesnt supercede your issues. If that is the case, you will have to test to show your ability in that language.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jczio View Post
          I'm missing half of my index and middle finger on my right hand, I guess becuase sometimes I forget cuase I so used to them not being there, it does not affect anything I do in life
          doesn't affect anything you do in life...except for typo's while typing

Just kidding man...Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
            I thought the Guard reduced their age to 35?
            35 is for the Active Army.
            No, its still 42 (41 and 9 months), to be exact. Except for GA, the age limit is 38.

Moderator correction - As of 1 April 2011 enlistment age for non prior service in the National Guard is 35.
            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I was able to request all my prior service information from the Marines thru this link. They sent it to me on a disc. Took about a week and its no charge.

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal...OME/MM/SB/OMPF

Comment

well here's an interesting twist, went to the manpower. USMC web site, contacted HQ in Quantico they told me my records are in St. Louis at NARA. so I called them to see about the request that my recruiter told me he had sent in to retreive my records, well turns out they never received such a request, could it be the recruiter is straight up lying to me about the request? What should I say to him ? do you think I should seek out a different recruiter that will take me seriously, I'm thinking that might be the problem here, between my age and the hand, but I wish he would have just said that from the begining and not let 4 month go by now. I think I'll look for a new Pa. Gaurd Recruiter now based on this news, at least if this new one tells me to give it up, it's not going to happen for me, at least I'll know an answer and wont be led on with false hopes, its just rough, I really want this !
                Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Maybe he is or maybe he is not. I give him the benefit of the doubt that the wires got crossed. I wouldnt isolate yourself to one recruiter and talk to others and perhaps the reserves as well. Just get your documents first because you need them. But you can ASVAB and MEPS with any recruiter/branch. Stay on top of it.

Comment

Like AMfmcityslicker stated your first priority is to retrieve any and all documentation you can concerning your USMC background. You can fax your request directly to MMSB. They are professional and mostly all prior service employees that will do what it takes to expedite your request and retrieve your information. Recruiters are increasingly busy these days, your best avenue of approach is to be extremely proactive and prepared. Before meeting your recruiter establish a packet of prior service information. This will streamline the administrative process. During the first meeting with my assigned ARNG recruiter he was able to immediately navigate and locate information from my OMPF disc/file, I was then scheduled for a Hometown Physical. Good luck and donít give up.

Comment

Which part of PA do you reside? The recruiter I'm working with is a no nonsense recruiter. My first meeting was 20110203 he had me at MEPS on 20110216..
                      Last edited by bfletch76; March 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Well I faxed a request form 180 to NARA for a copy of my USMC info, so I guess at this point I'll just keep up the PT and wait til I receive it, and when I get my info I'll seek out another recuiter in my surrounding area and see if he can help me out, I don't know what else to do at this point, if it is ment to be it will be, if not at least I have my dd214 back.

Comment

Working...
                        X