Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

MEPS/Health question (not another psych/waiver thread)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEPS/Health question (not another psych/waiver thread)

Hello,

I am new to this forum, so first of all I would like to say, great respect to everyone who is serving and has served. I am thinking of joining myself, but I have a question I though I would ask here before actually going to recruiter and waste their time.

Long story short, I have been thinking and debating which branch I would like to join for over 3-4 years now. Finally I decided that it's going to be the National Guard, and started researching as much as possible before I talk to a recruiter.

So, generally I am in good health, I have never been diagnosed with anything that would disqualify me, no psych/personality disorders, a bit underweight and need to get in shape, but that's fixable. The only thing that is stopping, more like, slowing me down right now, is a fibroadenoma. I should mention that I am a female, 25. For those who don't know, a fibroadenoma is a benign breast tumor. In other words, it's not cancerous and does not turn into cancer, does not require special treatment, and is very common in women my age, especially in those who are or were on birth control. It doesn't hurt, and it doesn't interfere with wearing anything, including a uniform, so, it's not a DQ.

Getting closer to the actual question, bare with me! I read that all tumors have to be biopsied. I saw 3 different doctors, and all said it's a fibroadenoma. Pretty much every single doctor easily can distinguish it from any other tumor. The last doctor I saw said, that with fibroadenomas they don't recommend biopsies and usually ultrasound is enough, because a radiologist always knows what he/she sees on the screen. They only do biopsies if it turns out to be something else. Now, here is the question. Since it is so common in women my age and is easy to distinguish from everything else, will MEPS require a biopsy report, or ultrasound will be enough? Does anybody here know anyone that had to go through the same thing? The whole ordeal is that it takes a very long time. I do all my medical stuff through a hospital since i don't have medical insurance, and it takes them forever to get you an appointment. My ultrasound is in a month from now, so a biopsy could be in may or even later.

I could go talk to a recruiter now, but I don't want to waste their time, in case it's not... benign. Despite the fact that 3 people told me exactly the same thing, I still have my fears.

Thank you all, and I am sorry for such a long and detailed post, and, perhaps, unnecessary words. Or maybe even the whole thing.

Re: MEPS/Health question (not another psych/waiver thread)

I don't have an exact answer for you, but it's very possible someone on here will. All I can say is keep documentation of everything, the doctor you saw, the results, try to get them to write their diagnoses out, etc. Just keep everything and be upfront with what you've gone through when asked about your medical history.

Comment

take the biopsy reprt they will want it for sure.

Comment

Go talk to a recruiter. You will not be wasting their time. This is their job and why they are there.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Елка View Post
          I could go talk to a recruiter now, but I don't want to waste their time
          Yes, go talk to a recruiter. It will not be a waste of time (theirs or yours).
          http://www.mepcom.army.mil/publicati...r-0040-001.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your fast replies, guys. I really appreciate any input you give me.

I think I should keep this updated though, in case a female like me wanders in here looking for the same answer, and during my research i either found nothing, or something really ridiculous.

I will talk to a recruiter after my ultrasound if a radiologist is 100% sure it's a fibroadenoma. I don't think there is a point talking to anyone before that. I know the doctor that referred me to the ultrasound can give me a report stating all the symptoms and diagnosis, and I will have ultrasound to prove it. She also told me that in cases like mine, they don't recommend biopsy, because a) fibroadenoma is nothing to worry about and they actually go away after menopause, and b) biopsies create scar tissue that may show up as something else on a mammogram later on, when I get old and have to get breast cancer screenings. I would have to get mammos more often than regular women just to monitor if any changes happened. And too many mammos can't also be good.

But if my recruiter tells me I have to have a biopsy, I'll do it. I got no other choice. It will give me more time to get myself in shape and do some studying for ASVAB.
            Last edited by Елка; February 25th, 2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

That all sounds good and logical. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you, kind sir!

Next update - after I talk to recruiter.

Comment

I definitely don't warrant a sir, even if I had the right pieces/parts...

Maybe Google rank structure and get ahead of the game while you wait.

Comment

LOL
                    If you're referring to who I can refer to as "sir" in the military, I did not use the word like that - related to a rank. More just as generic honorific. And i added "kind" to it... because, well, you are. (unless you're a female, which I can't really tell, that'd me ma'am. Bu then, "kind ma'am" doesn't really sound too good. )
                    As for ranking structure, I am familiar with it, but have yet to learn it all by heart.
                    Last edited by Елка; February 27th, 2011, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Елка View Post
                      Thank you, kind sir!

Next update - after I talk to recruiter.
                      I do not know if your issue is recent but if it existed three years ago, you should of inquired back then.

Realize that filling an application, taking an ASVAB going to MEPS doesnt constitute an obligation to join. Perhaps from the recruiter's perspective, if you going to do all that and are eligible to join, then would want you to sign on the dotted line but remember it is still up to you.

If its close by, just go to the recruiter office and simply ask. We have a couple on here though that probably can answer that question for you.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        I do not know if your issue is recent but if it existed three years ago, you should have inquired back then.
                        If you read my very first post, you would know that my issue is not disqualifying. I simply wanted to know if anyone here had to go through the same, or if they know someone who had to do it, and how much proof MEPs would need, while I am waiting for a doctors appointment to get that proof.

Realize that filling an application, taking an ASVAB going to MEPS doesnt constitute an obligation to join. Perhaps from the recruiter's perspective, if you going to do all that and are eligible to join, then would want you to sign on the dotted line but remember it is still up to you.
                        Again, if you read my very first post, you would know that I was thinking of joining for the past 3-4 years. That does not just mean "thinking". That also means (and it has been mentioned) that I have been doing all the possible research. And you also would know that I am not a high school student that doesn't know how this works, or doesn't know what she's getting herself into. That is why I would like to make sure that I am healthy first.

Good luck.
                        Thank you, and please, read my post again.

I researched that same issue that I am having online, and I found that many females ask questions like this on other forums and "Yahoo! Answers". I have seen other people reply with something like "Do not join because your benign breast mass will turn into fully blown cancer, and then military will kick you out and won't help you.", which is completely ridiculous, because this answer was rated the highest, and that person obviously doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

I created this thread for the following reasons:
                        1. I wanted to find females that went through the same.
                        2. I wanted to know how much proof they needed before going to a recruiter, so I can tell her/him what issues I have and give them proof that it is nothing that can DQ me, and am ready to move on to the next step.
                        3. Since there are other females looking for the same answer, and it's always good to do your research first before you jump into something, I wanted girls to find their answers here, because I wanted to keep updating this thread as my experience goes along.
                        Last edited by Елка; March 1st, 2011, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X