X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical history and joining

Here are the regs. I had an anxiety issue nearly 5 years ago, took meds for a month and saw a psychiatrist 2 times. I check off on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Does this mean I still need a waiver or would I only need one if 1,2,3,4 weren’t true for me?

Thank you for any insight.

p. History of anxiety disorders (300.01), anxiety disorder not otherwise specified (300.00), panic disorder (300.2), agoraphobia (300.21, 300.22), social phobia (300.23), simple phobias (300.29), other acute reactions to stress (308) UNLESS:

(1) The applicant did not require any treatment in an inpatient or residential facility.
    (2) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 12 months (cumulative) by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40).
    (3) The applicant has not required treatment (including medication) for the past 24 continuous months.
    (4) The applicant has been stable without loss of time from normal pursuits for repeated periods even if of brief duration; and without symptoms or behavior of a repeated nature that impaired social, school, or work efficiency for the past 24 continuous months.

Re: Medical history and joining

It sounds like, from those regulations, that you wouldn't need a waiver, but just make sure that you're up front with everything and have any documentation possible available to prove the time that has passed, etc. Also keep in mind that those regulations seem to change fairly often so, again, just be upfront and don't try to hide anything.

Good luck!

Comment

Hey thanks for the info MPThink!

Comment

Fidd's Green:

Where are you getting those regs from? According to AR 40-501-

k. Current or history of anxiety disorders (anxiety (300.01) or panic (300.2)), agoraphobia (300.21), social phobia
        (300.23), simple phobias (300.29), obsessive-compulsive (300.3), other acute reactions to stress (308), and posttraumatic
        stress disorder (309.81) do not meet the standard.

Which regs are you looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by Fidd's Green View Post
          Here are the regs. I had an anxiety issue nearly 5 years ago, took meds for a month and saw a psychiatrist 2 times. I check off on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Does this mean I still need a waiver or would I only need one if 1,2,3,4 weren’t true for me?

Thank you for any insight.

p. History of anxiety disorders (300.01), anxiety disorder not otherwise specified (300.00), panic disorder (300.2), agoraphobia (300.21, 300.22), social phobia (300.23), simple phobias (300.29), other acute reactions to stress (308) UNLESS:

(1) The applicant did not require any treatment in an inpatient or residential facility.
          (2) Outpatient care was not required for longer than 12 months (cumulative) by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40).
          (3) The applicant has not required treatment (including medication) for the past 24 continuous months.
          (4) The applicant has been stable without loss of time from normal pursuits for repeated periods even if of brief duration; and without symptoms or behavior of a repeated nature that impaired social, school, or work efficiency for the past 24 continuous months.
          These are from the most up-to-date reqs.: DODI 6130.03, April 28, 2010

Comment

Yeah sorry I should have included where I got those regulations. I got them from DODI 6130.03, April 28, 2010, thanks for posting that SF Hunter.

Comment

Ah, good stuff. Glad to see that they've lightened up on some of the requirements. Roughly 18% of people will have anxiety issues at some point in their life and 3/4 will have issues prior to turning 21. Glad they loosened things.

Comment

Working...
              X