Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MEPS anxiety

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
    Well this 'kiddie' (37) is going on Feb 23 so what else??

The stuff you mentioned is hilarious (especially if it is true) but I can't imagine being dumb enough to do any of that (maybe I come from a different generation)......I'm just nervous because I'm getting close to the age limit and won't have the opportunity to 'keep returning' for too long.

I call everyone 'ma'am' and 'sir', always have, asasign of respect, not rank...but I know it is reserved for officers only.....so even when I'm feeling I'm from a more 'mature' generation.....there is still the opportunity to goof up...lol

My problem is that I like to joke around alot and my recruiter said 'NO'.....telling me a story of when a recruit was asked 'how are you' ...the recruit joked 'well I haven't killed anybody today' all of a sudden found himself in a pshych consult. A guy I work with, who was having issues with his hearing test, made the mistake of joking that 'at least he had memorized the eye chart for the vision test' thus found himself DQ'd!

My recruiter has joked (or maybe not) that he is going to get me some Kayopectate for my 'diarrhea of the mouth'...LOL So I have literally been practicing ONLY answering what they ASK, not blathering on.....it's tough, tough stuff.
    First thing to remember is that 90% of the potential recruits at meps are under 21. So they are kids who don't know any better.

Next most of the people you will deal with are civilians. At least at my meps they were. So "sir" and "ma'am" will be just fine. Be respectful at all times.

Finally yes don't joke and don't provide anything beyond what was asked. Look at it as the job of the meps personal is to dq you. Look at it as not just a physical but also a job interview. Stay positive, there will be some form of bs, do what you are told and do not give them a reason to dq you. Listen to the advice your recruiter gives you. Keep in mind all times the seriousness of the process. If you don't do anything stupid, or say anything stupid it will just be a long boring day that ends with you getting to take the oath.

I enjoyed my meps experience. Thats probably because I had no issue and got in. I was just happy to not be in the group of people in limbo or rejected for something. It is probably how I will look at bct after the fact. I hated it while I was there but so proud when I took the oath that looking back I enjoyed it. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
      Well this 'kiddie' (37) is going on Feb 23 so what else??

The stuff you mentioned is hilarious (especially if it is true) but I can't imagine being dumb enough to do any of that (maybe I come from a different generation)......I'm just nervous because I'm getting close to the age limit and won't have the opportunity to 'keep returning' for too long.

I call everyone 'ma'am' and 'sir', always have, asasign of respect, not rank...but I know it is reserved for officers only.....so even when I'm feeling I'm from a more 'mature' generation.....there is still the opportunity to goof up...lol
      In the MEPS universe there's a big difference between a mistake and being stupid. Even a uniformed, high-ranking NCO will accept a civilian referring to him/her as "sir/ma'am". You and I are both from the same generation, so common sense stuff that we were taught as kids will come as a no-brainer to us. It's the teenagers that have no home training or social etiquette/skills that needlessly suffer.

As far as talking too much is concerned--don't. The entire MEPS process is designed to get you to divulge stupidity. Don't think too hard or overanalyze simple questions. The best thing to do is to just listen and observe. Don't ask questions that you can simply answer yourself if you just sit there for a minute and think about your own question. Chances are someone else will ask the question you wanted to ask or one of the MEPS personnel will eventually explain to the general audience whatever it is you may have concerns about or they may ask for questions at some point. But don't be one of those pogo sticks that keeps raising their hand after every statement that someone makes.

If you are faced with a situation where you're talking to an easy going NCO or an officer with a sense of humor go with whatever flow they give you. Don't elaborate with your own monologue. Just laugh at whatever they say, HOOAH, and move on.

Don't get caught up talking with other recruits because you may miss important information. You may miss your name being called to report to the ARNG office. You may get passed over and watch several other recruits get processed or the NCO that paged you may see you sitting there yapping away and put you on blast for not reporting to the office. If you're sitting next to a group of bs talkers, then find somewhere else to sit. Don't try to make small talk with any of the MEPS personnel. If they're doing their job they won't give you the opportunity to gab. Just stand there, wait for them to flip through your medical file, stamp, remove or place the appropriate documents in your file and move on.

Who knows--You may be one of the lucky ones that gets processed and sworn in before lunch. Nevertheless, be prepared to be told to sit back down a lot. Be prepared to figure out how to notify your recruiter of a snag in the process if need be. Complaining will not help. Finding someone to complain to will not help. Don't buzz around the ARNG office if things aren't going your way. Just sit there and be patient.

And most importantly, DO NOT FALL ASLEEP.
      Last edited by VICEROY06; February 18th, 2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
        In the MEPS universe there's a big difference between a mistake and being stupid. Even a uniformed, high-ranking NCO will accept a civilian referring to him/her as "sir/ma'am". You and I are both from the same generation, so common sense stuff that we were taught as kids will come as a no-brainer to us. It's the teenagers that have no home training or social etiquette/skills that needlessly suffer.

As far as talking too much is concerned--don't. The entire MEPS process is designed to get you to divulge stupidity. Don't think too hard or overanalyze simple questions. The best thing to do is to just listen and observe. Don't ask questions that you can simply answer yourself if you just sit there for a minute and think about your own question. Chances are someone else will ask the question you wanted to ask.

Don't get caught up talking with other recruits because you may miss important information. If you're sitting next to a group of bs talkers, then find somewhere else to sit. Don't try to make small talk with any of the MEPS personnel. If they're doing their job they won't give you the opportunity to gab. Just stand there, wait for them to flip through your medical file, stamp, remove or place the appropriate documents in your file and move on.

Who knows--You may be one of the lucky ones that gets processed and sworn in before lunch. Nevertheless, be prepared to be told to sit back down a lot. Be prepared to figure out how to notify your recruiter of a snag in the process if need be. Complaining will not help. Finding someone to complain to will not help. Don't buzz around the ARNG office if things aren't going your way. Just sit there and be patient.

And most importantly, DO NOT FALL ASLEEP.
        Thank you! That is enormously helpful; I find most of the kids do all the talking so I just tend to sit and observe anyway....occasionally shaking my head at how I probably used to be!

My recruiter is fantastic, but very blunt....he tells me I'll be just fine ''if I learn to shut up''....LOL (He is being humorous, not rude when he says it...but is definitely serious) I tend to be too conversational and he doesn't want me to inadvertantly talk myself into a DQ.

I don't worry about falling asleep; I go for 18 hours almost every day starting a 04:30, so other than the boredom (I'll take something to read if I'm allowed) I should be OK.

I don't know if I will be able to swear in....my Family Care Plan is still sitting at TAG and Monday's a holiday so we'll see what happens by the time I go on Wednesday.

Thank again for your candid advice!
        Last edited by Chris36; February 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM. Reason: More to say.....hence my 'problem'

Comment

Just got a call from my recruiter....my Family Care Plan was APPROVED!

So as long as MEPS goes well (i.e. my recruiter says to keep my trap shut....lol) I should be swearing in on Wednesday, Feb 23

Comment

I did the asvab yesterday and meps today only 16 people total. passed them both Im 31 its not that bad. listen to what they say and you will be fine. Out of 16 people around 9 total made it to the final interview with the doctor good luck i was so nervous.
            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 24th, 2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Congrats to Chris36 and Ironhead! I can't wait to get signed up. I still have 10 more pounds to lose to make weight requirements.

Comment

i was 10lbs over but made the tape test you should be fine.

Comment

Is the physical the 2nd time around the same as the first visit?

Comment

Originally posted by anthead View Post
                    Is the physical the 2nd time around the same as the first visit?
                    Depends on whatever section of the physical you failed. Sometimes it may even be a case where you passed the physical but there was an inconsistency in your packet. In that case you won't have to retake the physical at all when you go down for the 2nd time.

You'll be sent back to the waiting room to wait for the ARNG office to process you again with whatever was missing from your packet. Circumstances may vary from state to state but usually, no matter what, you will at least be weighed and taped again if you were weighed and taped the first time around. Be sure they send you back to the waiting room outside of the ARNG office instead of wasting time sitting around up on the medical floor. Turn your file back in to the ARNG office and wait.

Also, be sure to let MEPS personnel know exactly what part of the physical you have to retake, if your'e retaking anything, so you won't be sent somewhere you don't need to be to take a part of the physical you've already passed.
                    Last edited by VICEROY06; February 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM.

Comment

So would they have told me the first time around if I failed anything or will it be a "surprise" the 2nd time? And what do you mean by inconsistency in the packet? Do they actively look for stuff that doesn't match up?

Comment

meps is long and boring its rough, but all pays out at the end of the day
                        HURRY UP AND WAIT!!!
                        Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 24th, 2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Probably the worst part of MEPS is when you have to urinate in a cup while an older gentleman stares at your junk... Other than that, enjoy the free food.
                          Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
                            Probably the worst part of MEPS is when you have to urinate in a cup while an older gentleman stares at your junk... Other than that, enjoy the free food.
                            Guess use to the urine tests when you start to serve. But they wont look at your package; just be in the latrine with you. For some reason, my UPL has something against me. My name is always drawn even when its random testing.
                            Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 24th, 2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I am curious as to what the final doctor interview like? Are they recapping everything you just went over and talked about?

Comment

Originally posted by anthead View Post
                                So would they have told me the first time around if I failed anything or will it be a "surprise" the 2nd time? And what do you mean by inconsistency in the packet? Do they actively look for stuff that doesn't match up?
                                After you're through the physical you can flip through your medical file for one page. Usually you should have enough time to find what you need to know before the head doc calls you in his/her office and signs you off. At the bottom of the page there's two boxes that let you know whether you're good to go or a no go.You may not have enough time to find your other results, so just look for that one sheet. If you failed the urine test you would probably know right away--the doc pours your urine in a vile and inserts a special dye right in front of you. It turns the color of whatever you have in your urine if you have anything. There's a chart up on the wall that tells you what you have in your urine according to the color. For example: if your urine turns orange you've been smoking weed. If it turns pink, then you've been smoking meth etc. If you failed any other part of the physical you probably wouldn't find out until you're sitting in front of your counselor or a soldier in ACU's may call you in the ARNG office and tell you what's wrong. I passed the whole physical, so I had no worries. However, with my packet, my recruiter didn't record the dates in my job history and graduation dates from from undergrad and grad school succinctly, so the counselor sent me home to have my packet redone. Got sworn in the second time around after a lot of time was wasted.
                                Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 24th, 2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X