X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEPS anxiety

I go to meps in a few weeks (Harrisburg, PA), and when I think about it, I get a little nervous because I don't know what to expect. Is this normal for someone like me? I am excited and all, I just don't like doctors (white coat syndrome lol)

Re: MEPS anxiety

It's completely normal to be a little nervous of the unexpected, that's why this forum is here! Search for MEPS and you'll find TONS of stories that literally outline, step-by-step, exactly what you'll go through at MEPS. It's an incredibly boring process, and I'm sure you'll laugh at yourself for being nervous afterwards.

Comment

I hated MEPS, both times. Not because it was difficult, but because of the anxiety. Don't worry they are just there to get your info and give you a quick physical.

Comment

PA is one of the states participating in the Hometown Physical program, which is a new initiative the Guard is doing. Currently 23 states are active and PA was one of the first three to pilot the program. Talk to your Recruiter and see if you can take your physical this way. It is fast (1-2 hours), local (usually in the city you live in), and saves the ARNG tons of money that can be better used on training and equipment. The only thing you would have to go to MEPS for is to enlist if your Non Prior Service, but since you are a Prior Service Semper Fi Warrior, you do not need Basic Combat Training (BCT), you can be enlisted in in an Armory by a Guard Officer. Cha-Ching........Welcome to the Guard, where it all began.
        Last edited by M1A1 Master Gunner; February 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Taking the physical/screening is easy. Waiting to be called into the ARNG office after the physical is over is the pain in the neck. Waiting to be sworn in is an even bigger pain. Just to add insult to injury--time after time, while you're sitting in a cold, hard row of seats that are welded together next to some sap that won't shut up, you hear other people's names being called in ahead of you that hadn't waited as long. You hear people being called to be sworn in every 30-45 minutes--and its rough.

You find out later the reason why you've been waiting all day and it's some BS. All of a sudden going through the physical/screening was fun compared to flipping through stale, old magazines and watching the same report being rehashed again on CNN ofr the 35th time.

On the other hand there's that little group of recruits that have been rejected. You have to sit there and listen to them moan all day about why they were rejected, whichever branch of the armed forces can kiss this, and where they would rather be OTHER than at MEPS. Be glad you're not one of them. Even if you do end up being one of them don't sit there and whine about it all day with the rest of them. Go crawl in a hole somewhere else and wait quietly for your ride to come pick you up at the end of the day. Figure out how you're going to get yourself out of the mess you're in--live to fight another day--come back later and try again.

Even after being rated as good-to-go, your packet is reviewed over and over again. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN BE ARRESTED IF YOU LIE/withold any information ABOUT....and blah, blah, blah....Stick your finger here......and here.....and here again....oh wait. It didn't take...stick your finger here again....again....and here again....and yes....here.

Oh, darn. Wait. You didn't press your fingerprint in the right way. Try it again. Still didn't work......try again. Let me go get Mr. Smith so we can figure out what happened. Okay. Roll your finger again. Okay. Again.....and here too....okay....and there. Now go sit back down.

Ahhhhhh. Good times.
          Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 24th, 2011, 09:45 PM.

Comment

VICEROY06

That is the best version of a MEPS experience I have heard yet....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by M1A1 Master Gunner View Post
              PA is one of the states participating in the Hometown Physical program, which is a new initiative the Guard is doing. Currently 23 states are active and PA was one of the first three to pilot the program. Talk to your Recruiter and see if you can take your physical this way. It is fast (1-2 hours), local (usually in the city you live in), and saves the ARNG tons of money that can be better used on training and equipment. The only thing you would have to go to MEPS for is to enlist if your Non Prior Service, but since you are a Prior Service Semper Fi Warrior, you do not need Basic Combat Training (BCT), you can be enlisted in in an Armory by a Guard Officer. Cha-Ching........Welcome to the Guard, where it all began.
              Thank you for that information. I will talk to my recruiter about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                VICEROY06

Yes it was lol.

Comment

Well if you do have to go through traditional MEPS, just read up on everything the physical includes and be ready for it, everyone there goes through the same thing as you. I just went on the 15th and am now with my RSP unit and will attend my first drill whenever I am able. I must be a very nervous anxios person because people tell me I look nervous or drunk so far with my experience in.

Edit: Oh yeah someone had a seizure when I was in MEPS it was scary, he definately got DQ'ed. Some people here say bring a book but in my opinion I was only sitting down long enough that I would have been able to read one time, the rest of the time moved slow but not slow enough to whip out a book and read. You will want to pay attention anyway.
                  Last edited by Anthill; February 17th, 2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

This is a very common thing among most applicants. You are normal to feel this way. You are taking steps to join an organization that will likely define you and change your character for the remainder of you life. Being nervous IS normal. One thing to remember is that thousands of people have done this before you. What gives them the advantage over you? Probably nothing, but they all made it through MEPS. You will do fine as well. Also, some applicants misunderstand their recruiter when told that they are going to take the "physical". They are not going to have you running a mile or doing pushups/pullups. It is better to think of it as a medical examination. The most physically involved things you will be required to do are range of motion movements and the duck walk. It is important to realize however, that certian manorisms like nail biting or being fidgity while at MEPS could be of concern by the examining doctor. Just relax and bring a book to read while you are waiting. Good luck!

Comment

I guess I totally misunderstood the MEPS process. At what point do you test for the run, push-ups and sit-ups? Most of the things I have been reading online has left me with the impression that you go to MEPS to get a physical and do the testing for the run, push-ups and sit-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                        VICEROY06

That was actually the abbreviated version. Don't want to scare the kiddies.

Comment

Originally posted by harleygirl View Post
                          I guess I totally misunderstood the MEPS process. At what point do you test for the run, push-ups and sit-ups? Most of the things I have been reading online has left me with the impression that you go to MEPS to get a physical and do the testing for the run, push-ups and sit-ups.
                          The 1-1-1 (push-ups, sit-ups, and run) comes during RSP. Depending on your state you may be tested during red phase or not until you hit white phase.

I'm truly convinced that MEPS personnel must have some kind of staff meeting where they draw straws and choose who is going to play 'good officer' and who gets to play 'bad officer'. They usually get some hard nosed, apocalypse now-looking guy with a fresh crew cut to play the 'bad officer' while they pick a comical, friendly yet firm female officer to be the 'good officer'. All you have to do is do exactly what they tell you to do and not to do and you'll be fine

The only thing you have to worry about at MEPS is wearing a clean pair of underwear and knowing how to find a happy place in your mind. Keep this in mind: The stupidest thing can get you disqualified--if you're stupid. Case in point: A female recruit swears on a stack of bibles that she simply can't pee. Must have been because she was nervous or something. Naaaaah--Truth of the matter is she bragged about smoking a whole bag earlier that morning during breakfast. Imagine taking a long bus ride to some hotel in the middle of the night, sleeping in a room with some total stranger, and getting ordered around a MEPS building all day only to get disqualified--Do ya think they test ya urine at MEPS? Ya THINK?

The stupidest thing I saw was a a grown man got disqualified because he didn't have any form of picture I.D. or a social security card. Makes you wonder how he got out of bed without impaling himself on his own bed post.

You're going to be in for a long day if you're afraid of taking your clothes off in front of other recruits.

Don't tee off the officer that's in charge of the MEPS building. Doing stupid stuff like rolling your eyes and/or saying "whatever" or talking on your cellphone right after an officer specifically tells you NOT to talk on your cellphone or posting up on the wall with your hands in your pockets will make you REALLY popular for the rest of the day amongst the rest of MEPS personnel that was in ear shot of you getting put on blast for doing something stupid.
                          Last edited by SFC_Wilson; July 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Also, some applicants misunderstand their recruiter when told that they are going to take the "physical". They are not going to have you running a mile or doing pushups/pullups. It is better to think of it as a medical examination.
                            Attention to detail.
                            Last edited by MPThink; February 17th, 2011, 11:34 PM. Reason: Irony

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                              That was actually the abbreviated version. Don't want to scare the kiddies.
                              Well this 'kiddie' (37) is going on Feb 23 so what else??

The stuff you mentioned is hilarious (especially if it is true) but I can't imagine being dumb enough to do any of that (maybe I come from a different generation)......I'm just nervous because I'm getting close to the age limit and won't have the opportunity to 'keep returning' for too long.

I call everyone 'ma'am' and 'sir', always have, asasign of respect, not rank...but I know it is reserved for officers only.....so even when I'm feeling I'm from a more 'mature' generation.....there is still the opportunity to goof up...lol

My problem is that I like to joke around alot and my recruiter said 'NO'.....telling me a story of when a recruit was asked 'how are you' ...the recruit joked 'well I haven't killed anybody today' all of a sudden found himself in a pshych consult. A guy I work with, who was having issues with his hearing test, made the mistake of joking that 'at least he had memorized the eye chart for the vision test' thus found himself DQ'd!

My recruiter has joked (or maybe not) that he is going to get me some Kayopectate for my 'diarrhea of the mouth'...LOL So I have literally been practicing ONLY answering what they ASK, not blathering on.....it's tough, tough stuff.
                              Last edited by Chris36; February 18th, 2011, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X