X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Waivers needed?

Could anyone perhaps give me some advise?

About a year ago, I was diagnosed with 'seborrheic dermatitis' which is just simply dandruff. However, I read that
    some of the dis-qualifiers for skin conditions are eczema, and wikipedia/others have stated 'seborrheic dermatitis' is another word for seborrheic eczema. I have a doctors note, and on the RX form, there's no check box for the eczema, only a RX code for 69010, which is seborrheic dermatitis. Will I need to get a waiver for this?
    Last edited by gstanley; June 8th, 2013, 07:34 AM.

Re: Medical Waivers needed?

Good questions...

- The skin thing is confusing to doctors too. Eczema is also known as Atopic Dermatitis. It is disqualifying. Seborrheic Dermatitis is not disqualifying. Unfortunately, Seborrheic Dermatitis is also known as Seborrheic Eczema. Depending on the doctor at MEPS and their level of knowledge, they may misunderstand if your records read Seborrheic Eczema and disqualify you. If your records read Seborrheic Dermatitis, you'll be fine. If they read Seborrheic Eczema, you might go to your doctor again and have them update your chart to specifically mention that you do not have Eczema, only Seborrheic Dermatitis, and it was treated successfully.

- "Social anxiety" is another name for "social phobia", which is disqualifying. You will require a waiver for this. How long ago it occurred did not happen. As an aside, Zoloft is what's called an SSRI. For people who have low levels of a chemical in the brain called serotonin, it helps the brain maximize what is there. It's useful for people who are having trouble with mood, which are commonly the result of low levels of serotonin. If a person with normal levels of serotonin took an SSRI, it would have no effect. I mention this because calling it a "mind altering substance" is very inaccurate and gives the wrong impression. Alcohol or caffeine are much more "mind altering."

-

Comment

As for the zoloft stuff, When I took it, I didn't feel any different/better. I was saying mind altering in reference to the energy drinks etc Too much of anything can be bad for you.

Comment

I'm not discounting notyetdead's knowledge or answer at all, but, personally, I would go to a recruiter and talk to them about this issue with whatever documentation you have in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
          I'm not discounting notyetdead's knowledge or answer at all, but, personally, I would go to a recruiter and talk to them about this issue with whatever documentation you have in hand.
          Amen to that. Keep in mind "disqualifying" means "will require a waiver" not "try the Air Force." Anything this side of diabetes and a recruiter will likely send you to MEPS, have you DQ'd, then file for waivers.

Come in with documentation and give it to the recruiter when requested. The more paper with medical-ese on it, the more chances of you getting DQ'd. Document and provide as requested. Good luck with teh process...

Comment

I spoke with my recruiter and I was told that if it doesn't bother me now that I should be able to get a waiver as it's been over a year (in my case, 4 years) since I have taken any kind of medication.

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by gstanley View Post
              I spoke with my recruiter and I was told that if it doesn't bother me now that I should be able to get a waiver as it's been over a year (in my case, 4 years) since I have taken any kind of medication.
              Greta news, gstanley. Hope your path to joining keeps going smoothly for you...

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead View Post
                Greta news, gstanley. Hope your path to joining keeps going smoothly for you...
                So far so good. I'm finishing up a semester of college before I go back to MEPS, so we're looking at maybe around June.

One question though, why do recruiters tell you to lie to MEPS about things? I have a juvenile record (few things, nothing really big, curfew violations and acc. to shoplifting at age 12, which was BS but it's all good, it was 18 years ago), and I am a pretty honest guy. I was instructed to not tell them anything about my past/medical, but it's not honorable to lie; Even the thought of lying makes me sick to my stomach, and even worse, having someone -tell- me to lie is a direct slap to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gstanley View Post
                  In 2005/2006, I went to see a doctor because I was having bouts of anxiety. I was diagnosed with social anxiety, and prescribed zoloft. I took the medication for about 4 months, then stopped it completely.
                  SMOM 09-174 Suspension of medical waivers for certain mental health conditions is unfortunately still in effect, which states no medical waivers for mood disorders. I took medication for 4 months due to stress related issues and have been off for a year now. I have been in contact with my recruiter monthly for the past year and nothing has changed regarding rescinding this SMOM notification. I've even provided a letter from my doctor stating I am clear. This did not matter. Yesterday was the most recent meeting with my recruiter because I reading a posting here, thought there was an exception by going the 09S/OCS route, but the suspension is a block for that as well. In other words, if you have taken meds for mental related issues, you pretty much have to wait it out till the suspension is rescinded. If anyone has any further information regarding obtaining a waiver it would be much appreciated.

Comment

Is this true? Bummer.

Comment

Working...
                    X