Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining w/ hearing loss

Hello,

I have a question that might help answer myself and others question.

I'm 18 years old, and I live in the Bay Area, California. About a year ago I started realizing it was harder to hear lower frequencies so I went to the hearing doctor and got checked out, turns out I had lost some hearing. So I was fit with some hearing aides. (CIC)'s to be exact. There not the ones over the ear, there in the canal more. Thing is, I want to join the National Guard so I can help myself pay for acting school and get a good experience out of it.

Would this effect me joining at all because of having hearing loss/aides? If so I was considering getting fit with the Lyric hearing aide. Which is so deep into the canal it's 100% not visible and only needs to be replaced once every 3 months which takes 5 minutes. If anything, (not to sound braggy) but I feel almost with these in my ears, I can hear better than any average person with great hearing..

I hope this doesn't close doors for me and can possibly get a waiver for this.

Thanks National Guard,
    -Tommy

Re: Joining w/ hearing loss

Glad I read this, I also having hearing loss, I need CIC hearing aids also. Getting fit for some next month. Hopefully someone will reply soon.

I dont feel as if I need the hearing aids, but I was told it would help a lot

Comment

bump. really trying to get a answer on this one since I cant find a answer anywhere else on the internet.

Comment

depending on how bad it is, you may or may not be able to get in. If you are allowed in, You WILL require a hearing waiver and will be limited in mos available

Comment

Well, I am also suffering with hearing loss as it is severe to found. One hearing doctor said I should have an urgent treatment for it other wise it should not be cured. I am leaving in Atlanta looking for atlanta hearing doctor. Please do share some more information so that I can go for treatment.

atlanta hearing doctor

Comment

This is what I found (1) Pure tone at 500, 1000, and 2000 cycles per second of not more than 30 decibels (dB) on the average (each ear), with no individual level greater than 35dB at these frequencies.(2) Pure tone level not more than 45 dB at 3000 cycles per second each ear, and 55 dB at 4000 cycles per second each ear.

Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the

Comment

Working...
            X