X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve Chaplain

I am 42. I have been a bi-vocational youth pastor previously (6yrs). I have a BS in Religion from Liberty University and I am currently working toward my Masters. For my new job I had to move to KY to work on base, but that means I have an active clearance. No previous military.

I have always pondered serving in a chaplain capacity, but have I waited to late?

How does the training work for reserve chaplain? Is it broken up or all at once.

Sorry for stupid questions, but I want to try to make an informed decision.

Re: Reserve Chaplain

Opened the can of worms for our local neighborhood Chappy!

Comment

You've got two significant and somewhat related problems. Age is a problem, although chaplains have a different section of law and regulation for eligibility, which makes it possible for an age waiver. It's related to the fact that you need an MDiv (or equivalent) to apply for appointment as a chaplain. How old will you be when you have the MDiv?

Be advised that you'll most likely be unable to earn a retirement from military service, because you'll be put our for maximum age prior to earning twenty years of service.

Comment

I've seen a 52 year old priest appointed, among others. A lot probably depends on the state.

The tough thing is CHBOLC, it's like Ranger school on steroids. LOL. jk.

I encouraged him to contact the USAR.

Comment

Working...
        X