Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACU's being issued during RSP before basic?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACU's being issued during RSP before basic?

I am 17 years old and am now a few weeks from taking my physical at MEPS and preparing to swear in. I have a buddy, who claims his buddy hasn't gone to basic training yet, is with the National Guard, and is in the RSP and has gotten ACU's issued to him. Is this plausible? I'm not overly concerned with having them early, but it sounds strange that he'd get them before basic training. If so, I'd like to wear them to school occasionally before i would actually ship. So if anyone is familiar with the Split Op program, which I am doing, since I wont ship until this summer, I'll be in the RSP for several months. Can anyone shed some light on this? And if not, do we get PT's from RSP, or do we wear our own clothes? Also, any information on RSP, Split Op, or just joining the Guard peroid would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: ACU's being issued during RSP before basic?

I'm in Utah and I was issued an acu and pt gear when I swore in. It's probably different state to state.

Comment

Protip: You would be in violation of AR670-1 if you did wear them to school. On another note, when I was a young lad I was all excited about ACUs and how I would have the real swag and be hip and what not if I wore them to school, but then I realized how rediculous I would look having a backpack on sitting in period one English wearing my uniform and be all like "ha, I am wearing ACUs even though I am in paid drilling status in the Recruit Sustainment Program I haven't even gone to BCT yet", therefore I did not wear them to school. Walking through school in ACUs would make me feel well sort of like that creepy guy who wears the woodland BDUs to school. There is nothing wrong with being proud you are in the Guard, however you haven't even shipped to basic training, and I promise when you are done and are sitting in class you will have no desire to wear your uniform, because the coolness wears out overtime. I personally enjoy being Nathan the funny hip and groovy 18 year old senior everyday minus a weekend a month, and being Private Meyer, a well disciplined super awesome soldier on my weekend. I don't have a problem with either role, but I do like how they don't cross over (for the most part).

Comment

Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
        Protip: You would be in violation of AR670-1 if you did wear them to school. On another note, when I was a young lad I was all excited about ACUs and how I would have the real swag and be hip and what not if I wore them to school, but then I realized how rediculous I would look having a backpack on sitting in period one English wearing my uniform and be all like "ha, I am wearing ACUs even though I am in paid drilling status in the Recruit Sustainment Program I haven't even gone to BCT yet", therefore I did not wear them to school. Walking through school in ACUs would make me feel well sort of like that creepy guy who wears the woodland BDUs to school. There is nothing wrong with being proud you are in the Guard, however you haven't even shipped to basic training, and I promise when you are done and are sitting in class you will have no desire to wear your uniform, because the coolness wears out overtime. I personally enjoy being Nathan the funny hip and groovy 18 year old senior everyday minus a weekend a month, and being Private Meyer, a well disciplined super awesome soldier on my weekend. I don't have a problem with either role, but I do like how they don't cross over (for the most part).
        Couldn't agree more. Eventually you may get to the point yo'll wanna be paid to put it on. lol Atleast I did when I first got back from FLW

Comment

I can't wait to get out of this uniform every day... I would suggest not wearing them at school but if you're so adamant on wearing them in school, buy yourself a pair. It doesn't make you look cool, trust me. People won't ask you if you're in the Army because you're in highschool. You'll look like that crazy kid.

Comment

...I have a buddy, who claims his buddy hasn't gone to basic training yet, is with the National Guard, and is in the RSP and has gotten ACU's issued to him. Is this plausible?
            Aside from the bad idea of wearing them to school, yes it is very plausible, likely even, that your friend has been issued a set of ACUs. Every state runs RSP a little differently (and it can vary a little between RSP units in the same state) so mileage may very with this answer. In CO, ACUs for RSP is one of the last items to receive funding. Every RSP warrior is issued an RSP uniform (basically a set of RSP PTs). When funding is available, those who will be attending several RSP drills before shipping to BCT are issued a set of ACUs. I didn't receive any because I only had one RSP drill but I got my RSP PT uniform.

Comment

Better plan: just ask your recruiter for SWAG to wear to school. I'm sure he/she has tons of it to hand out and maybe some for your friends too if you can bring him/her leads.

Comment

I'm the only in my RSP Unit that doesn't have ACU's. I'm also the only one my age (25) and I go to BCT in February, so they told me that I won't get them because I ship out within 120 days of swearing in. There are several White Phase recruits that got them on their 2nd drill, and I was the only who didn't. I did however, get issued RSP PT clothes on my 1st drill. They are not the typical Army PT clothes, they are different, and I would recommend not drying them in a dryer when you wash them. They will shrink.

I'm from Pennsylvania and I'm sure every state is different.

Comment

Speaking of the RSP PT uniform; what are the restrictions on wearing them after RSP is completed? I kinda like the shirts and it's a decent set of warn-ups. Does this fall under normal army uniform regulations?

Comment

Originally posted by A.Mac+ View Post
                    Speaking of the RSP PT uniform; what are the restrictions on wearing them after RSP is completed? I kinda like the shirts and it's a decent set of warn-ups. Does this fall under normal army uniform regulations?
                    You're free to wear it whenever you want. It does not fall under AR 670-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman955 View Post
                      If so, I'd like to wear them to school occasionally before i would actually ship.
                      Don't be that guy. And thats all there is to say about that.

Comment

I believe the whole point of issuing out ACUs before shipping to BCT is to 1.) Have you look like Soldiers, therefore instilling pride in apperance enhancing unit morale and cohesion and making you 'look' good provided the second reason is met 2.) To teach you 'how' to wear the uniform correcty so that that will be one less thing you have to learn at BCT. Wearing them at your RSP Drill is one thing, but outside of your place of duty at the appointed time is a NO-GO.

Comment

Working...
                        X