X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclass MOS in white phase?

Hi everyone, got an interesting situation here.

I'm a white phase 88M interested in reclassing as a 44B. I don't ship until march 20 and am a split training option / potential SMP (I don't have an AIT date scheduled yet).

My case for switching to 44B (Metal Worker) is that I am currently a Welding Engineer major and i would be more useful to my career and to the National Guard as a metal worker. I understand it's not impossible to reclass after spending time in your original MOS, but I'm trying to cut to the chase and do it now.

I don't know how to go about this process and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Re: Reclass MOS in white phase?

Talk to your recruiter. Likelihood of success may largely depend on availability of 44Bs in your state.

Comment

Actually, your RSP is more of who you'll need to speak with about this. Chances of this happening are slim to none, but that doesn't mean it is impossible. I get this question all the time from people after they enlist. I'll tell you like I tell them, YOU enlisted into an 88M position, YOU agreed to be an 88M, YOU need to s uck it up and do what YOU commited to do. Trust me, you will be just as useful to the guard as a 88M as you would as a 44B. It doesn't matter what your civilian career is at this point, YOU committed to being an 88M. Also, 44B is probably not an MOS that has a whole lot of vacancies to begin with in most states. If it wasn't offered to you at enlistment, then it is probably because it wasn't available.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
        Actually, your RSP is more of who you'll need to speak with about this. Chances of this happening are slim to none, but that doesn't mean it is impossible. I get this question all the time from people after they enlist. I'll tell you like I tell them, YOU enlisted into an 88M position, YOU agreed to be an 88M, YOU need to s uck it up and do what YOU commited to do. Trust me, you will be just as useful to the guard as a 88M as you would as a 44B. It doesn't matter what your civilian career is at this point, YOU committed to being an 88M. Also, 44B is probably not an MOS that has a whole lot of vacancies to begin with in most states. If it wasn't offered to you at enlistment, then it is probably because it wasn't available.
        I thought their recruiters were also part of their RSP leadership. I must be behind the times. :\

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          I thought their recruiters were also part of their RSP leadership. I must be behind the times. :\
          Yes and No to this. Some states the recruiters are more "hands on" then others, but ultimately it is the RSP that is going to have to make the changes. A lot of times you run into the problem of the recruiter thinking this can be done, only to find out from the RSP that it wont happen and then you end up with an upset PVT.

Comment

If you are within 90 of shipping, no you cannot redo your contract. Talk to your recruiter, tell him/her that you would like to change your MOS. But be aware that there may not be any 44B positions.

Comment

Working...
            X